0.1 | Riverthanks in Heirwater

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm
https://aahabershaw.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/403752_1282472189_large.jpg

Festival colors. Shimmering heat. The noise of a joyful crowd echoing off stonework baking in the noon sun. The scent of flower garlands and spiced drinks mixing in the bright air... all of these are an intoxicating combination, and the city of Heirwater is happily drunk on summer and celebration and--well, sure, okay, drunk on wine, too.

"Names and purpose! NAAAAAMES and puuuuur-POSE!" shouts a red-helmed guard from the shade of the drawbridge gatehouse just ahead.

You're standing on the broad stone surface of one of the two great bridges that lead from the Market Square to the edge of the Hill. Far below, the River Heirwater courses along its banks, filled with boats of every size, sporting sails, pennants, and banners of every color. Today, on the great festival day of Riverthanks, the Hill is open to the public. Normally, walking through the gatehouse doors would require a thorough cross-examination, or papers identifying your business in the Fortress or Academy of the Heir. But today, all the guards want are--

"NAAAAAMES!!" bellows the guard. "State your NAMES and your PURPOSE! If you're here to view the grounds, SAY so and be QUICK, there's plenty of folks before AN' behind you!"

He's not wrong. It's taken the better part of an hour to get to this gatehouse, filing up the drawbridge in an ever-narrowing line. What had begun as a milling throng has become a series of ragged bunches of friends or strangers, linked together like sausages roasting in the summer sun. These groups shuffle forward together as those ahead are let through the gatehouse doors by threes and fives. Your group is a strange one, and you have attracted some odd looks from those around you. A guard in green Fortesqueue armor, a woman alone, an unassuming merchant... these three might have passed without much comment. The scholarly half-elf might have been of some interest to those waiting in line... if he had not been overshadowed by the enormous form of a bull-headed minotaur, breathing heavily in the baking sun.

You're starting to wonder whether it was really worth it to leave the cool breezes and amusements of the Market Square behind. Of course, you want to gain access to the Hill, but maybe noon was the wrong time to do it. Of course, it's not like you can really turn back now. Behind you stretches a long line of peasantry and merchants, filling every inch of the drawbridge, all the way back down to the packed square. You see the grand facades of the Six Shops, bedecked for the day in flowers and ribbons, and beyond them, the wide bowl of the city rising up the sides of the great valley through which the Heirwater runs.

"YOU LOT!! NaaaAMES and purpose!" The group of robed figures ahead of you steps forward and mutter to the Montulet guard at the gate, casting squinted glances back at the minotaur and the Fortesqueue in your midst. After a moment, the guard lets them through. They move quickly, whispering rapidly as they disappear into the shadow beyond the gate.

"NAAAAMES and puuuuur-POSE!" shouts the guard at you.

Finally.

OOC: Roll initiative, then step forward and state your name and purpose to the guard!
Oct 22, 2015 8:15 pm
A well dressed man of medium height begins to step forward confidently. His face bears the easy falsely earnest smile of travelling salesman. His clothing is well cut, but not ostentatious. Stylish, but not flashy. His face bears a think pink scar running from his right temple down across his cheek.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 22, 2015 8:20 pm
Tosher snorts loudly as he awaits his turn. It would be a mercy to crush in this guards chest cavity. Though it would bring me no true honor to defeat such a whelp, he thinks to himself.

His hoof scratches the ground idly. He is a little out of his element. This is the most civilization he has been around in over a decade.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm
Eldrick steps forward and looks the guard in the eye, "Just here to look around and see what all the fuss is about," he says to him, cursing inwardly. He wouldn't even be here right now if Lily had not insisted that he get out and experience some culture and interact with someone besides her.

He smiles fondly then, thinking of his new bride, beautiful Lilliana. It had taken some 'convincing' to get him to agree to come out here - she was to meet him a bit later on. It takes the ladies longer to get ready, after all - but he wasn't going to complain about the form that the 'convincing' took.

Eldrick is fairly young for his position as an officer in the Fortesqueue garrison. He is handsome, slightly taller than average with light brown hair and blue eyes. His skin is tanned from his time outside on guard duty and on the training ground. He has a longsword strapped to his waist and is holding his glaive in one hand, using it as a walking stick.
Last edited October 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Oct 22, 2015 10:29 pm
Charles is looking around at the assortment of people around him, not paying attention to where he is going when the guard draws his attention forward. The Minotaur in particular had been of interest to him. Being a Half-Elf of slight form, he had always been interested by creatures larger than himself. He had a particular interest in the larger races of the world and had spent some of his free time studying Giants. His mind slips away again.

Hearing the guard again try to get his attention, he regains he focus, steps forward and says "Sir, I am Charles Mithalvarin. I am here to see Amphilochus Boarhill, Lord Scholar of Perceptional Magics, at The Royal Academy of the Heir of Marka at Heirwater. I have an appointment," in a voice that he believes to sound confident.
Last edited October 23, 2015 3:07 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Oct 23, 2015 2:36 am
My long, dark hair falls around my face, obscuring it slightly as I step timidly forward. "Lara. Lara Stormwind, here to see the sights for the festival, sir! May I enter, please?" My clothes are nondescript as ever, and my voice filled with the appropriate level of enthusiasm for a newcomer to the festival. For good measure, I eye everyone around me with wide-eyed wonder and smile and nod at any who happen to catch my eye. They won't remember me later. I might as well enjoy myself.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Oct 23, 2015 3:55 am
As Xulara and Eldrick are introducing themselves Tosher pushes past both of them. "I am Tosher of the Mascun Clan! My purpose is to gain honor and glory for my once powerful tribe. The Mascun will live on through the glory and bloodshed I earn in battle. There is a statue here I must touch to help me in my quest. Step aside whelp", he announces in a heavy booming tone. His dark brown fur bristles as he never once breaks eye contact with the guard.

He snorts out heavily one more time and attempts to push his way past the guard, whether consent to enter is given or not. His battered shield sits slung across his back and his warhammer has not left his hand since arrival.
Oct 23, 2015 9:18 am
Tosher, roll a quick intimidation check?
Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am
Intimidation.

Lackluster intimidation attempt.
Last edited October 23, 2015 11:49 am

Rolls

Intimidation Check - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Oct 23, 2015 12:11 pm
Even a half-hearted attempt at intimidation by the minotaur is enough to make the guard cringe. "Hey, look, I'm just a recruit--you can go in, the Hill is open today." He steps back, allowing Tosher and the others to pass. Trying to reclaim a little of his dignity, he sneers at Eldrick's green uniform.

"Try and keep that beast from killing anyone up there, Fortesqueue. It'd be a shame for that to happen on your watch. NAAAAAMES!!"

You all filter into the relative darkness of the gate. It's an enormous stone pylon 2/3rds of the way along the drawbridge, practically a fortress in itself, filled with the heavy machinery required to raise the drawbridge in case the Hill were to ever be attacked... although, of course, that's unthinkable. What army would be crazy enough to mount an assault on Heirwater?

http://smrvl.com/gp/thehill_bridge.jpg

Your vision goes green from the sharp contrast as you step out of the sunlight, and as a group you practically barge into the robed figures who had walked the bridge in front of you.

"Watch yourself!" one of them hisses, whirling to bare his stained yellow teeth. The three are dressed alike, in black cloaks held across their tunics by a red cord with a single knot in the center, strung horizontally across the neck--almost like a wound.
Oct 23, 2015 12:21 pm
Tosher, without breaking his gaze at the looming city ahead shoves the robes figure who had hissed at him to one side and continues walking without saying a thing.

Tosher's horns grant advantage on all checks to shove a creature.

Rolls

Shove (Strength) (Advantage) - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Shove (Strength) (Advantage) (2) - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Oct 23, 2015 12:46 pm
Eldrick watches the robed figures warily, grip tightening on his glaive. He gets a weird feeling from these people.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Insight - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 23, 2015 1:30 pm
Dex saving throw

Rolls

Dexterity saving throw against being shoved - (1d20+0)

(7) = 7

Oct 23, 2015 1:49 pm
Jean (for short) continues walking forward, his head swiveling around as if taking in the sights. In truth, he is watching these interesting characters around him and paying close attention to the crowd. He is also warily watching the reaction of the robed figures.

OOC: Let me know if I should roll a perception check.
Oct 23, 2015 2:04 pm
The man with the yellow teeth reels backwards, knocking into the stone wall. His two companions hang back with him, allowing the group to pass. Around the party, the mood of the crowd shifts from good-natured impatience to wariness... although fights are inevitable on Riverthanks--with that much wine flowing, things always get looser towards sundown--most fights don't involve a minotaur. Those ahead of the group hurry ahead, and those behind hang back, leaving a little empty air around them as the party passes over the end of bridge and onto the cool grass of the open courtyard of the Hill.

smrvl sent a note to Naatkinson,Naatkinson
http://orig10.deviantart.net/4ae4/f/2010/257/4/b/courtyard_by_marcobucci-d2yr7tn.jpg

You step back into the brilliant summer sunlight—much more pleasant here in the green quiet of the courtyard. It's filled with festival-goers milling around, gazing up in wonder at the stately buildings. Some of them have been here before, on previous Riverthanks visits, but for many, it's their first time glimpsing the soaring walls and flying buttresses of the Fortress of the Heir, and the two Colleges of the Heir's Academy to the left and right. Guards are positioned throughout the crowd and at every door, to prevent access to the interiors of the buildings, but small paths wander through groves of finely-cultivated trees and under shady archways.

smrvl sent a note to Hobs
smrvl sent a note to Naatkinson,Naatkinson
It's a beautiful place, and it echoes with sounds of wonder and the sound of falling water at the central fountain. The crowd around you is eager to disperse, to see the sights and--to be fair--to get away from the party, who receive more than a few wary looks.

smrvl sent a note to Moofsalot
smrvl sent a note to PhantomNimbus
smrvl sent a note to Friar_Tuk
Oct 23, 2015 2:14 pm
I walk towards the fountain, waving my hand over it and feeling the cool water splashing across my palm. I take a moment, then casually break towards the right, listening in on any interesting conversations as I pass.
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Oct 23, 2015 2:20 pm
Unintentionally, Tosher has walked along with Xulara towards the fountain. "You there, girl. Is this the object I must touch for luck?", he asks before she walks off.
Oct 23, 2015 2:20 pm
Jean was headed in the direction of the College of Magic, but now he slows his pace to keep an eye on the situation with the Minotaur and the black robed figures. If nothing comes of that confrontation, Jean keeps a close eye on which direction the black robes are headed, without seeming like he is doing so.

OOC: Ugh, the dice are against me so far this game!
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Rolls

Perception (if needed to spot robed figures destination) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Stealth (if needed to remain inconspicuous) - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm
OOC: It's common knowledge--although Tosher seems to have gotten some misinformation--that if you touch the central wide, flat paving stone in the middle of the Market Square at midnight on Riverthanks, you'll have incredible luck the coming year. Well, that's what the legend says, anyway. It may be frustrating for Tosher to learn that the Market Square is where he just came from, an hour ago, across the drawbridge.
Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm
Eldrick walks along with the others, taking in the sights and sounds. He knows he has a while before his wife is to meet him, so he takes his time

Naatkinson sent a note to smrvl

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 23, 2015 2:35 pm
i don't know my little calfling. Why don't you stick your head in it and we'll see just how much luck you have. I giggle. "Oh, no, but it's very pretty isn't it?" I look him in the eyes and smile before moving quickly away from him.
Oct 23, 2015 2:36 pm
[Passes a few notes, waits to see how the conversation with Xulara and Tosher shakes out.]
smrvl sent a note to Naatkinson,Friar_Tuk
Oct 23, 2015 2:39 pm
Tosher chuffs, then gripping his war hammer a little tighter turns and walks to the nearest gaurd. "You, where is the statue I must touch for luck. My patients is wearing thin, speak quickly."
Oct 23, 2015 2:39 pm
Friar_Tuk sent a note to smrvl
Oct 23, 2015 2:48 pm
The guard goggles at Tosher, nudging his fellow Fortesqueue. "Oy, look at that, Wilfred! That cow-man just talked at me!"

Wilfred shakes his head, "Corey, you idiot. That ain't a cow-man, that's a mini-tar. I learned about them in school, I did. Smart as people, they say!"

"No, really? Smart as people, even?"

"Oh, yes," Wilfred replies, puffing out his chest, "not as clever, however, or as large as the MAXI-tar. Now that's something to really see. Big enough to blot out the sun, and ever so h'intelligent!"

"I never even heared of such a thing! Wilfred, you know everything, don't you?"

"Well, I DID go to two whole years of school, Corey--when you've had learning such as myself, you come to realize--"

Oct 23, 2015 2:54 pm
It's a wonder these two ever survived long enough in this world to become guard of anything. He would gladly have crushed their skulls under his hoof in the Circus, he thinks to himself.

"Tell me of the statue, or I shall break your arms, though I doubt that would hinder your fighting capabilities much", he snarls.
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Rolls

Intimidation (+6) - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm
While the antics of the Minotaur (a rare site in the city) are an interesting diversion, Jean is here on business. He turns and heads for the College of Magic to speak with a contact regarding potential trade opportunities.

OOC: I'm comfortable throwing out color and purpose into the narrative (such as mentioning the "contact"). If you are not comfortable with me doing so, or if something I say contradicts the narrative, let me know.
Last edited October 23, 2015 2:56 pm
Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm
Wisdom saving throw vs. intimidation

Rolls

Wisdom saving throw - (1d20+0)

(14) = 14

Oct 23, 2015 2:57 pm
OOC: Everything I'm saying in notes is something you're welcome to bring into the game/narrative at any time!
Oct 23, 2015 2:59 pm
Corey and Wilfred cower backwards. "Er—there's statues over by the College O' Magic! Thataways!" They point to the right, at the shady grove with a semicircle of marble statuary gleaming in the dappled light.

OOC: And here's where we pause... or at least, I do. Gotta go to a meeting! The adventure will continue (and get pretty snazzy) in an hour or two. Thanks, all!
Oct 23, 2015 3:05 pm
Tosher thanklessly turns and stomps off towards the statues the guard had mentioned. His hooves clatter across the cobblestones as he walks.
Oct 23, 2015 3:26 pm
Eldrick, having seen what happened with the guards, approaches them and flashes his officer's insignia at them, "What's the matter with you fools? When someone asks a question, especially a minotaur," he emphasizes the race's correct name, "just answer it, don't be an idiot... now get back to work!" he growls at them.

Naatkinson sent a note to smrvl

Rolls

Intimidation on the guards [Advantage](+2 if you'll allow it to be based on my str mod in this case) - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (13) = 13

1d20 : (2) = 2

Secret Roll

Oct 23, 2015 3:32 pm
OOC: Per Friar_Tuk's excellent point over here, we're going to switch the format here slightly... I'll wait until all five players have a chance to respond before resolving actions, unless you specifically state you're engaged in an activity that allows the story to go on without you. It'll slow our roll a bit, but my pledge to you as DM is that the game will still be awesome. Or... will become awesome, if it isn't right now. You know, whatever.
Oct 23, 2015 6:50 pm
OOC again: Fair warning--I'm headed out of town to visit my parents this weekend. I may be able to do one or two posts at most, but you shouldn't expect to see too much of me before Sunday night or Monday. So let's just all take this moment to drink in the golden sunlight of the Hill's courtyard... before the madness descends.

Wait, what? No. Nevermind. No madness. It's a game about a beautiful, sunny day, don't worry about it.
Oct 23, 2015 10:14 pm
Walking through the gates and seeing the Hill in person is nothing like reading about it in a book! Charles has his hand down in front of him with the palm facing straight up. In his palm appears the image of the courtyard ahead of him. Paying close attention to the details around him so he can remember where he has to go. His appointment isn't until tomorrow, but he is glad he came a day early to explore the Hill. He always wants to be sure of where he is going and what he is doing before committing. The illusion doesn't stay for long and he will have to create it again soon so he has to keep his thought on his surroundings if he wants it to be correct.

Something out of the corner of his eye catches his attention. The Minotaur has picked a fight with some one in a black robe. A new image is in his mind now and he allows the illusion in his palm to fade to nothing without recreating it.

Stepping into the courtyard he sees the swan crest of the College of Magic where he will have to go, but he is in no rush. He sits down near the fountain, pulls out some parchment and a quill and begins to sketch the image in his mind; a huge Minotaur with a man in a black cloak between his horns.

Hobs sent a note to smrvl

Rolls

Perception of the courtyard - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Perception of Tosher and the Man in the black cloak - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Oct 24, 2015 2:18 am
The guards cower before Eldrick, eyes clicking anxiously to the stars-and-keys embroidered on his uniform's shoulder, marking him as not just an officer, but a recognized member of the Fortesqueue family. Their profuse apologies mingle with the general hubbub of the courtyard. Those who are keeping a watchful eye see three darkly-dressed figures detach from the crowd and steal after Tosher, into the gloom and relative privacy of the statuary grove.

Rolls

Stealth roll for robed figures approaching Tosher - (1d20+0)

(1) = 1

Insight check to see if they realize anyone else in the party has spotted them - (1d20+0)

(11) = 11

Oct 24, 2015 2:26 am
OOC: HA!!! First botch!!!!!

You wouldn't think it would be possible to trip over a cat and send it yowling, spin backwards into a ceremonial gong, and then accidentally dislodge the gong, rolling it down a flight of stairs to smash through a stained glass window in an adorable little gazebo. And under normal circumstances, that would be difficult. Yet that's the exact maneuver the cloaked figure enacted as he fell, face-down, at the hooves of the Minotaur, drawn mace clutched in his hand.

His companions stared open-mouthed for a moment, then rushed in. "Get him!!!"

Hahaha, not what I was planning. Gosh I love this game. Let's see what happens. Roll initiative!

EDIT: ...WHAT!?!?

Rolls

Initiative with disadvantage - (2d20)

(11) = 2

Oct 24, 2015 2:30 am
I'm pretending to be studying the statues when, again, I see the Minotaur approach. I move to the far other side of the statues and continue to scan the area, careful not to bring any attention to myself.

When I see the guard land at the minotaur's feet, I just manage not to burst out laughing. Well, this will prove to be entertaining!

Ooc: LOL
Last edited October 24, 2015 2:56 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Oct 24, 2015 2:48 am
Charles looks up from his parchment at the sound of the gong, expecting an announcement, parade or festive activity to start. He could not have expected to instead see a robed figure rushing towards the Minotaur that stood behind him on the bridge trip over himself and fall at the feet of the same Minotaur. Noticing the weapon in the robed figure's hand, Charles returns the parchment and quill to his pack (very quickly), hops to his feet, looks around and prepares to defend himself if necessary.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Oct 24, 2015 2:48 am
Tosher is making his way to the statues to touch them all. He has given up on asking these useless people for what he seeks. He shall find it himself. Just as he nears suddenly a robed figure lands at his hooves. He reaches down and lifts the figure up to a standing position, still clutching the robes he wears. He will try this one more time. Looking at the person he growls, "You, which of these statues must I touch for luck!" As he awaits an answer he suddenly hears, "Get him!!!", and turns to see what people are talking about, still clutching the robes of the person in front of him.

He still has not let go of the warhammer. He lifted the figure up with one hand.
Last edited October 24, 2015 2:49 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20-2)

(15) - 2 = 13

Oct 24, 2015 5:35 am
Eldrick says to the guards, "Be ready, this could get messy and he's not alone," and proceeds to walk up to Tosher and the cloaked man to see if he can diffuse the situation.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Oct 24, 2015 6:00 pm
OOC: Don't mind me...

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Oct 26, 2015 1:14 am
Jean was just about to enter front gates of the College of Magic, when he hears a gong and a shout behind him; "Get him!"

OOC: Sorry for the delay everyone. Like I said, hard for me to post on the weekends.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Oct 26, 2015 1:14 am
Oct 26, 2015 9:23 am
smrvl sent a note to smrvl
OOC: No problem at ALL about not posting on the weekends! We're still learning our rhythm as a group, no big deal.

As the robed men rush over, they take in the curious crowd in their peripheral vision, and the assortment of capable-looking strangers whose attention they have attracted. Maybe it's the gong still reverberating through the air that makes them think twice, or the clanking of the two guards following Eldrick... but this is not a fight they're so eager to pick after all.

"...to bed! Get him to bed!" one of them yells, for the benefit of the crowd. "Too much drink in that one."

"You know how it is--a few too many free drinks at the House of Masks," smiled his companion, turning with open hands and an apologetic smile. He drops his hood, the red cord at his throat swinging down to hang vertically from his shoulder. As his hood drops, he reveals a halo of golden curls, like an adorable toddler. "Sorry for the disturbance, folks! Happy Riverthanks, good luck and fair dealings!"

Taking his cue from the others, the man gripped by Tosher begins to wobble. "Shay whatnow?" he hiccups. "Toucha statue for luck?" He lets out a terrific belch and slumps sideways.

"Our apologies for the disturbance," says golden curls to Tosher, still loud enough for spectators to hear. "Are you looking for the Central Stone, which grants luck at midnight? Allow us to be your guides, we'd be delighted to show you, to make up for this small commotion."

OOC: By the way, should anyone want to leave the area, you're definitely able to. I'm thinking I might create a separate thread for that, something like "0.1 — At the College of Magic" and keep the "main thread" going here for whoever sticks around in this area. Then, whenever you leave that other setting, you can re-join the main thread if you're finding the others again. That's my working concept, but if anyone has seen it done really well through another method, let me know and we can do that too!
Oct 26, 2015 12:30 pm
I try not to let my disappointment show as I drop back into a neutral stance and continue to mosey towards the College of Magic.

OOC: Separate threads for different locations works!
Oct 26, 2015 12:49 pm
Tosher, confused and increasingly annoyed at the folly of these humans looks at the man with the golden curls. "These are not the statues?", he chuffs once and sees himself crushing the skull of the guard who misinformed him. He snaps back to reality and grunts out, "Take me to the stone, whelp. I have no more time for games!"
Last edited October 26, 2015 12:50 pm
Oct 26, 2015 1:17 pm
The guards standing beside Eldrick look back at their abandoned post at the main doors of the College of Magic. If they don't hurry back over, any old riffraff from the street could wander in, and then they'd be in hot water with their real commanding officer.
Oct 26, 2015 1:20 pm
Charles relaxes a little bit, glad it was all a misunderstanding. He feels the magical energy inside himself, that had built up in preparation to fight, begin to lower. The new surroundings and so many strange people must have him on edge, he thinks to himself. He needs to get somewhere quiet. So, he walks over to the guards and says "sir, I would like to know more about the academy grounds. Can you show me where I can go to learn more? "
Last edited October 26, 2015 1:23 pm
Oct 26, 2015 1:39 pm
Eldrick nods to the guards, "Good job, looks like that could have gotten messy... now get back to your post!" Then he prepares to head on to where he is to meet Lily on the Fortesqueue grounds, confident that the robed figures won't trouble the minotaur now that he is on to them.

As Charles walks up, Eldrick waves the guards on and nods to the man, I have a bit of time still before we're set to meet, he thinks to himself. "Follow me, I'll take you where you need to go," he says, trying to put a friendly smile on his face. Ugh, he thinks to himself, this is harder than it should be... but my Lily wants me to at least try to be a bit more open and friendly...
Last edited October 26, 2015 1:52 pm
Oct 26, 2015 1:55 pm
Jean saunters over to the robed men and the Minotaur. "Greetings. My name is Jeanault Ustos. May I be of service to you and your inebriated friend? I know a tea house across the river that brews a lovely restorative tonic. Just the thing for the overindulgent!" He seems to be fidgeting with his collar.

Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm
"Ah yes, the Boiling Samovar. I know it well," replies golden curls, "a perfect idea. We'll help him along, but there's for your trouble." He hands an object to Jean, murmuring something too low for the others to hear as it exchanges hands.
His eyes flick towards the door of the College of Magic, where it seems Eldrick, Charles, and Xulara are all converging. Then, in a louder voice he says, "Come on then, good minotaur--let's find you some golden luck on the double-quick!"

The men in robes turn to the path back towards the twin drawbridges, golden-hair in the lead, yellow-teeth in his feigned drunken stupor leaning heavily on their third companion. "This way, my tauriform friend!"

As they turn to go, the guards hustle back to their post at the College of Magic door. "Sorry!" puffs Wilfred, straightening his halberd. "No visitors allowed in the Academy on Riverthanks!"
Oct 26, 2015 2:17 pm
"No trouble at all good sir. Have a lovely Riverthanks!"

Jean turns and heads to the College entrance. He approaches the front door and tips his jaunty tricorn hat to the guards, "Good day gentlemen, keep up the good work," and attempts to walk right through the door.

OOC: Jean is a regular visitor to the College on business. There's a good chance, if these guards are here on the regular, that they would recognize him. He comes and goes frequently, and at odd hours. As we move into this interaction, let me know what social rolls (if any) are required of me.
Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm
Last edited October 26, 2015 2:18 pm
Oct 26, 2015 2:22 pm
"Bup-bup-bup-bup-bup!" protests Wilfred, putting a hand out to stop Jean. "Sorry sir, we'll need h'official proof of business."

Colin nods eagerly, "He's right as usual, he is. Lots o' cut-ups and flogarts tryin' to shammy their way in for a lookabout today."

"Too right, Colin. And we weren't moved from our usual post waaaaaay in the back of the Fortress to guard these gates to let just h'any old Johnny-come-blithely in without just cause or an invitation what merits entry."

They block the entrance importantly.

Oct 26, 2015 2:28 pm
Lead the way human, if it is as you say the luck is only at midnight we shall find drink while we wait. Tea is a drink for women, and children. We shall find ale", Tosher tells the golden haired man.

His grip remains tight on his warhammer. Though he looks dense this is not the first time a group has tried to ambush this Minotaur. This is something that happened often if he set up anywhere near civilization in the past. These humans fear that which they do not understand. And rightly so.
Last edited October 26, 2015 2:29 pm
Oct 26, 2015 2:34 pm
"Ah, of course, of course. I thought you gentlemen looked new here. I never forget a face, especially two such stern and authoritative faces, and I have never seen you two here in my many comings and goings. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Jeanault Ustos, Purveyor of Rare and Wondrous Objects," Jean passes a finely embossed calling card to each of the guards, "I frequently have business in the College, and today is no exception. The clockwork of commerce never ceases, even on such fine, holy festival days," he flashes a confident, but long suffering smile at the guards.

OOC: If that's not enough, please let me know what I should roll. I'd say Deception. What I'm saying is actually true (I am here on business). However, I am "passing myself off" as Jean (my double identity via Charlatan background)...its just a very well established deception, and I also now have a secondary agenda. Your call, Deception?
Oct 26, 2015 2:41 pm
OOC: Let's do persuasion!
Oct 26, 2015 2:49 pm
Persuasion check:

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Oct 26, 2015 3:41 pm
I continue walking along the front of the building, marveling at its architecture.
Oct 26, 2015 4:10 pm
Just some context. More story coming soon!

Here's a rough map of the courtyard garden. Those X's are guards. There are two drawbridges to the north, one letting people onto the Hill, the other for them to leave by. The first drawbridge is much more crowded, but there's some traffic on the second.

http://smrvl.com/gp/hill-garden.jpg

Xulara, admiring the buildings, sees that the colleges appear to have been built around the same time with soaring white stone and tiled roofs that gleam an earthen red in the sun. At one time, they were clearly meant to have been symmetric. However, it seems that as the generations have gone by, each has made modifications to appear less like the other. The College of Magic has floating balconies, stained glass that moves with the breeze, a collection of colored lights lazily orbiting its highest tower. The College of Matter flowers with carvings on every surface, painted frescoes, lapping fountains, models of the constellations wrought from the finest silver. Both are crowned by all manner of gargoyles--fantastic creatures above the College of Magic, and artists, scholars, and men-at-arms above the College of Matter.

The Fortress, however, seems aptly named... it hails from an earlier time, and while impressive, is notable mostly for its massive size. It is rough-hewn from gray stone, and seems as solid, unyielding, and forbidding as the word of its monarch, which is absolute law in Heirwater. It is doubly-guarded, and every surface seems to speak the same message--don't dare to defy the rule of the Heir. Its windows are narrow arrow-slits, and everything about it seems to call back to an earlier time, when a barbaric warlord built an unassailable castle on a remote island, in which his young son and heir should be raised.
Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm
Corey and Wilfred squint at Jean, at Jean's card (held upside-down), and at each other for a long second. Then Corey slowly nods. "I s'pose... seein' as how you have a card..."

Wilfred hands the card back to him. "Quite so, quite so. Commercial clockwork an' all. Step on through, an' step lively, won't you!"

The guards part. Across the sunny lawn, golden-curls, who has been watching all this with a careful eye, nods to himself and returns his attention to steering Tosher towards the far drawbridge. "Ale it is, my good bull! I know where we can get it by the trough-ful. Metaphorically speaking, of course."
Oct 26, 2015 5:46 pm
Eldrick nods to the guards and attempts to lead Charles through the gates to speak to someone about the Academy.
Oct 26, 2015 5:48 pm
The guards step aside unthinkingly. If they know one thing, it's that you hop lively when an officer of House Fortesqueue wants to get through.

OOC: So right now I have Charles, Eldrick, and Jean headed into the Academy, while Tosher is heading back to the Market Square with golden-curls and his men. I think I'll pause the action here to find out what Xulara's up to, then get jump links going into the other locations!
Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm
Tosher walks off towards the bridge the golden haired man is gesturing to. "Are there not any with an actual trough?", he asks as they set off. In his mind he is thinking of all they ways to dismember these hooded whelps. All he will need is a small opening.
Last edited October 26, 2015 5:52 pm
Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm
"Thank you lads. Keep up the good work." Jean flips a silver piece at each guard and saunters into the College.

OOC: Sorry, just saw your post about pausing. I will stand by.

Last edited October 26, 2015 5:52 pm
Oct 26, 2015 6:59 pm
As the remaining two enter the building and are out of earshot, I hurriedly follow after them and say as I try to sidestep the guards, "Sorry, must have gotten carried away! I hope they're waiting for me inside or this could be embarrassing!"

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 26, 2015 7:23 pm
The guards narrow their eyes at the woman in front of them. "You weren't... with them, though," objects Corey. "Was she?"

"Not a bit of it," says Wilfred. "I don't believe they're waiting for you h'at all!"

Oct 26, 2015 9:17 pm
"You think they left without me? Well that's rude. I'll have to try back another time. Anyway, have a happy Riverthanks!" I continue walking in the opposite direction as before and circle around the building admiring it's architecture once again. As I do so, I keep the guards in my sights, keeping an eye out for the best moment to make my move towards the open window.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 26, 2015 9:28 pm
As Xulara walks away, the guards begin discussing some minor point of doorguardsmanship, and quickly become engrossed in conversation.
Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm
I disappear behind the thick shrubbery in front of he building. Stretching for a moment, I grip the latticework going up the side of the wall and attempt to ale my way up to the window.

Rolls

DEX check - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 26, 2015 10:34 pm
The latticework is a little too flimsy to climb. Xulara clatters back down. Looks like she'll need to find another way into the Academy...

OOC: You're just setting us all up to be extra-awed by a stack of crits later, aren't you.

I'm going to watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown with my kids. Be back a little later on with the jump link into the College of Magic and/or Drawbridge!
Oct 26, 2015 11:19 pm
Frustrated, I grab the pitons and rope out of my pack and attempt to scale up the side of the wall.

Rolls

Use Pitons (STR check?) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Oct 26, 2015 11:29 pm
A small child holding an armful of scrolls stands behind Xulara, head cocked to one side. His forehead is wrinkled in the most profound puzzlement. He's like a puppy that just cannot figure out what he's looking at.
Oct 26, 2015 11:59 pm
"Hey there. I wish there were an easier way inside. A have a friend waiting for me, but the guards won't let me through. I don't think they like me much. My name is Lara. What's your name?"
Oct 27, 2015 12:10 am
The boy opens his mouth, points to it, and shakes his head. He takes a step forward when--

"WHERE IS THAT USELESS SCROLL-RAT?!?" A bad tempered voice rattles the frame of the window above, the R's rolled in high diction and ire.

The boy shoots upright like a shot, his face instantly drained of color. Without a word, he runs to a side door, away from the main entrance that Xulara had tried to enter. The single guard there, a crusty old veteran, swings his spear wide to let the boy through without blinking.

"RAA-AAATT!!"

A dropped scroll gleams vellum-gold in the grass at Xulara's feet.
Oct 27, 2015 12:41 am
I open the scroll and read it to see if it's anything interesting. I'll also try to determine who it may belong to based on its contents, assuming I'm able to read any of it.
Last edited October 27, 2015 12:42 am

Rolls

INT check? - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 27, 2015 1:05 am
Charles walks through the entrance of the College of Magic with Eldrick. "Thank you for talking to those guards back there, but it really wasn't necessary. You see, it is my first time in this city and I just wanted to have a look around. I have to be at the Newcomer Gate in the Academy tomorrow before lunch and want to make sure I know where I am going." Walking through the College of Magic, Charles will follow Eldrick and pay careful attention to the path they are taking and the building around them.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 27, 2015 1:17 am
However, as Charles is looking around the hallways, he becomes distracted by the green armor being worn by Eldrick, remembering that the guard on the bridge wore red armor and that Eldrick seems to have command over the other guards. He starts inspecting the armor for house crests or other distinguishing features that might give clues to his authority.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Oct 27, 2015 2:05 am
Eldrick waves off the thanks, "It's no big thing, I wanted to get out of all those crowds anyway," he says, "besides, I have some free time before I have to meet my wife anyway and she wants me to meet new people... mingling, she called it."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.