OOC: Play-by-Post Basic Guidance Thread

May 3, 2019 12:50 am
Hello all! Just wanted to lay some ground-work here for posting protocol and what not, so that we're all "speaking the same language" so-to-speak, and even maybe so that our posts use similar formatting for easy readings sake.

First, please try to post at least once a day. I am going to make every effort to hold myself to this standard. Accordingly, if I'm investing free-time in this, and the others are investing free-time in this, it is only respectful of everyone's effort that you invest some free-time in this. If you don't think you can meet that standard for some reason, please just chime in on the OOC thread to say so. I don't want justification or anything like that, just a quick; "Sorry guys can't post tonight/next couple days/week!", so we know what's going on and can either move on or wait patiently or whatever. I'm not going to put a hard-cap on days or posts/action missed, just simply that if I feel like you're not making an effort equal to everyone else, I will seek a replacement.

With that out of the way...

Second, some standard formatting for this game (and in many other games I think around this forum):

1. Regular font is for narration. Write in bold when your character says anything, example:

Luke says, "This is what it looks like when I'm talking in-character."

2. Characters can broadcast they're thoughts in italics:

Luke thinks, "I wonder if these guys will learn how to share their PCs thoughts to reveal personal motivations and move the game forward."

Sharing thoughts offers a chance for everyone to get to know your PC, and even to allow other players (and the GM) to metagame a bit in the best way possible: using that insight to create drama and interesting situations!

3. You can put up pictures from web sources by pasting a 'copy picture webaddress' link (see the polaroid looking icon up top).

4. You can quote people (see the Lego-man w/ a thought bubble icon up top).
Quote:
You can quote people
5. You can send a secret note to the GM and/or players for those secret matters (see the blank page icon up top).

6. And you can say things Out of Character (see the OOC auto-format up top).
OOC:
This is what it looks like when I'm talking out-of-character.
People will use other colored text and underline, etc. for a variety of stuff. If you would like to do so, just make it clear what the use is if it is something other than simple emphasis or the like, and be consistent.

Once your character is approved you can toggle to post as "Player" (you/your forum name) or your character. Please use the character tag to post in-character.

7. If you click the "Advanced" post options you can add dice rolls to your post. The roll macro is pretty easy; just click on the rectangle that is appropriately colored for the dice making up your pool.

We can interpret the results (spending Dis/Advantages, etc.) by subsequent comment or editing of the post. Always try to remember to put forth suggestions on how you'd like to spend the narrative symbols you have "control" over.

Thread locked