OOC: Character Creation Chat Thread

May 3, 2019 1:39 am
Quote:
You are a recruit in a secret, experimental program lead by Jedi Master Eleena Daru to pioneer the potential use of otherwise untrained Force Sensitives as Special Operatives in limited but critical objectives during the Clone Wars.

We begin during your training in this program, on the planet of Gamor...
You have a lot of latitude to decide how your character might have gotten involved in such a program. You could be a Youngling/Padawan that volunteered for the unit. You could be a Force Sensitive criminal that was spared prison for enrolling in it. You could be a Republic soldier that was discovered to be concealing their Force potential and you were offered the spot. Whatever. Just about any variation that you can think of that would put you here is probably workable...

CHARACTER CREATION

Official material only, standard Character Creation rules, EXCEPT:
- you must begin play in a Force & Destiny Career
- you may not begin play as a Darkside Force user
- no Characteristic may be raised above 4 at character creation
- every PC receives +10 XP, post-character creation, to either
_a. purchase a basic Force Power, OR
_b. purchase upgrades to Force Powers, IF the PC already has at least 2 basic Force Powers

A few other things that you might want to be aware of about this game when you're making your PC:

1. There will likely not be much opportunity for space piloting for basically the entire first campaign arc, so... Choose that to be your "thing" at your own peril.

2. It also might be a bit before you have the opportunity to get a Lightsaber, tho you're welcome to grab an Ancient Sword, or whatever.

3. I will be awarding XP in two ways; 1. based off of story objectives accomplished as normal at the end of "adventures"/chapters, and 2. based off of your presence in the game. What that basically means is at the end of every IRL month, or so, I will award 5 - 10 XP according to my perception of your activity level in the game. If you stick pretty close to posting every day (except on weekends), you'll get 10 XP every IRL month just for being here.

4. Lastly you might want to check out my one "Houserule" (which is not really a houserule) in the OOC Resource Thread.

Now, let's talk about your character concepts!
May 3, 2019 2:12 pm
Excited to be starting this off! As for character concepts, I have a couple at the moment: The first is a wheel man, probably a Sentinel: Racer. The other is a martial artist type, probably Warrior: Steel Hand Adept. Either one would likely have been scooped up from some sort of galactic competition circuit to join the program.

So, Emsquared, when you say no space piloting in the first arc, would that extend to ground vehicles, as well? The martial artist may be the better choice in that case. I've just never played a pilot, so the option intrigues me.
May 3, 2019 2:22 pm
You'll likely be fairly bound to one planet for a bit, is why I say there will not be much opportunity for space piloting... as for planetary? There will certainly be more opportunity for that, I will just say though that terrestrial ships tend to be smaller/not incorporate the entire group like space vessels can, so while there may be critical terrestrial piloting moments it's not as good of a venue for prolonged group engagements... and so I will leave it up to your discretion from there as to how big of an investment you might want to make in it.
May 3, 2019 3:41 pm
is there any limits on what books to use for our character? mostly just looking at other races outside of the standard book.
Last edited May 3, 2019 3:41 pm
May 3, 2019 4:24 pm
Any official material.

The limitation is to F&D Careers, not Species or Specializations. Your specific Species and Specialization can be from any official book, your Career must be either; Consular, Guardian, Mystic, Seeker, Sentinel, or Warrior.
May 3, 2019 6:14 pm
Thank you, just checking, I'll start writing up my character today.
May 3, 2019 7:12 pm
Hi guys! I'm absolutely stoked to be joining you. My plan is simple, I'm going to be a young, impressionable padawan whom has both drank the Jedi koolaid and is at odds with herself for not being able to conform to it perfectly. Probably a bit of a jack of trades / utility character, but with a slight focus on getting to conform people to her will.
May 3, 2019 7:48 pm
I have a monster-hunter concept in mind, most likely the Seeker career
May 3, 2019 7:59 pm
I'm still working out what I'm wanting to do. My first thoughts are a hacker/engineer of some sort, but that could change with reviewing the books. I do have a name though. Zahxl Gearspark!
May 3, 2019 8:29 pm
I am going the route of an unarmed fighter, and am not a big fan of the Jedi actually, but see this "grouping" of sorts as a way off planet that doesn't involve me joining the army.
May 3, 2019 8:45 pm
The idea I'm toying with is a young human man, that lost his arm to a local monster/beast. Perhaps some important item as well he was holding as well.
He is a Seeker - Ataru Striker

But, dear GM, may I start with a Prosthetic Replacement (Limb)? It normally cost 2000c, but that destroys the starting budget, even with the morality bonus of +2500c
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bf/e0/d1/bfe0d1b29183831cfd0129a5e5d6ebad.jpg
Last edited May 3, 2019 8:46 pm
May 3, 2019 9:14 pm
Hahaha! Nearly everyone wants to be a fighter. I was hoping not to have to be the face, as I'm playing several of them in other PbP games. I might go with the ranged fighter/wheelman concept just to distinguish myself from the melee/unarmed folks.
May 3, 2019 10:24 pm
Rofl, my character is semi-face but she's not probably not going to pull off what a /specialized/ face character can do.

Primarily, she's utility (heal/harm force power, Mystic: Seer), but I've put most her skills in knowledge, lore, other type 'bard' skills.
May 3, 2019 10:49 pm
Quote:
may I start with a Prosthetic Replacement (Limb)?
As far as I'm aware there is no positive mechanical aspect to it, but there is the negative aspect that an Ion weapon can shut it down. So if you're ok with that, yea, that's fine with me. No cred cost.
May 3, 2019 11:36 pm
Are we going to roleplay our meeting or should we build these characters already friends?
May 4, 2019 12:23 am
You've probably been through a few months of intensive "basic Force training" together, but unless some (or all) of you want to coordinate how your PCs have have known each other longer, that's about it. Not much real getting-to-know-you time
May 4, 2019 2:56 am
So looks like Sadrielle and my character may need to share face duties after all. :) I'm leaning toward a Human Sentinel/Shadow, mainly so I can use the Human part to get a rank in Piloting (Planetary). The character will at least be decent with Deception, I think. I'd still like to pick up Racer down the road, but it doesn't offer much utility until we get a vehicle.
May 4, 2019 3:07 am
What a perfect complement to the skills I picked!

Alright. So essentially, I've picked up Knowledges, Charm, Coercion, Education. After she earns 10 more XP I'll pick up Force Skill: Influence, but I felt it was better to not give her anything particular that she's good at right now, and then the more XP we receive, I'll pick up skill ranks / Talents that flesh out what we're missing in the group.

She's going to be young. 14ish. If anyone is playing a similar character, perhaps we can entertain a rivalry or a sibling type bond. If anyone older wants to be the mother goose so to speak and extend their wing over head, that's cool too.
May 4, 2019 4:23 am
I was thinking of going Sentinel Artisan. Might work with so many going fighter, but at the same time it might be too weak for the campaign theme. Almost no fighting skills should I go that route. I'll consider a 2nd option just to be safe. What do you guys think?
load next

Thread locked