Calling all Aspiring GMs! PbP GM Mentoring Game!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 9, 2019 4:04 pm
Hi guys!

I've seen a bunch of notions on GM Mentoring threads, etc. But they seem "disconnected".

I have found that most of the hesitance to GM comes from confidence (or lack of it), so I'd like to create a 'safe space' for aspiring GMs to try it out with no commitment in a constructive, creative environment. My idea is to run a game with a small group where everyone takes turns being the GM running a section of a printed game module, (possibly the same one), and then we can all constructively debrief on how it was handled, and how together we can improve as a group. We can also possibly talk about encounter generation, the purpose of NPCs, interactions, and other things.

Ideally, I want four wannabe GMs and perhaps one other seasoned GM to add a secondary perspective, but now that I think of it, anyone wanting to improve as a GM is welcome, too!

I don't want to seem elitist, but people who I've played with previously will be given a little bit of preference. It might not matter because I haven't played with many people here.

This is something I intend to run often and refine each time, so if you don't get into the first run, I'll invite you into the next iteration.It's my intention for this to be collaborative, so don't think this is going to be purely instructional; I'd like it to be a forum for creativity and new ideas.

Please let me know on this forum if you're interested, and tell me your RP experience, and what prevents you right now from being a GM! I'll be sending out invites, and I intend to get started as soon as I have the four or five players!
May 9, 2019 5:57 pm
Do I still count as wannabe? If so then I'd love to tag along!😁
May 9, 2019 6:06 pm
Out of curiosity, what system would you be running in?

The only reason I ask is because I run one game here, in the only system I feel confident enough knowing the rules for (Pathfinder). I'm comfortable with my system-independent GM skills, mostly, but I'd be interested in participating in a system I'm less familiar with (all of the others). So I guess I could be considered either a wannabe or a seasoned, depending on how you're defining it.

Either way, it sounds like an interesting project, and I'd be game for joining in if I fit the bill. :)
Last edited May 9, 2019 6:07 pm
May 9, 2019 6:09 pm
This is a brilliant idea. I'd be interested.

I've played D&D 5e for several years in local games, on Roll20 (a very big mistake), and on GP. I'm currently playing several games on GP in various systems.

What stops me from GMing a game of my own is the fear of screwing up and wasting the players' time or ruining their experience of playing characters they've invested their effort to create. A safe space to practice in would be exactly what I need to learn the ropes and develop my own style.

As a point of interest, the GM from that Roll20 game I mentioned actually offered to let me "assist" on a newbie game he was running, but it turned out he was just more interested in showing off his ability to do interesting accents for NPCs than in giving his "assistant" room to learn, so that was a fairly unproductive experience. I'd really like to try your project.
Last edited May 9, 2019 6:23 pm
May 9, 2019 6:23 pm
Sadrielle- Yes! I was hoping you would participate. We've had good PMs about GM stuff.
78RPMLife- Awesome Handle! We're going to use D&D 5e, so you'll have the setting down pat, and this will be a constructive building up format, so your experience is welcome. I'm hoping to engender discussion on GMing independent of the system used, and not necessarily coaching D&D 5e GMs. You can decide whether or not it's going to be for you, I guess. The first thing I'll likely teach is that you don't need to know everything about a game to start GMing.
Moonbeam- Let me know please your RP experience and what stops you from GMing! Answered!
Last edited May 9, 2019 6:24 pm
May 9, 2019 6:38 pm
Yeah, sign me up. I'd like to give it a go. I've played in a bunch of systems here on GP: 5E, Pathfinder, Lasers and Feelings, Fantasy AGE, Onedice, Starfinder, Fate. I love discussions on effective GMing and there's always lots more to learn!
May 9, 2019 8:13 pm
This is timely, I was just considering starting a game. I'd love the opportunity to participate.
May 9, 2019 9:32 pm
First day on the site, limited experience (5e and Pathfinder), and I'm very interested in becoming a GM.
May 9, 2019 10:59 pm
Please please please give my potential spot to someone newer to GMing. But if you have space and you’d like someone with experience, I’m still interested.
May 9, 2019 11:49 pm
Moonbeam says:
What stops me from GMing a game of my own is the fear of screwing up and wasting the players' time or ruining their experience of playing characters they've invested their effort to create. A safe space to practice in would be exactly what I need to learn the ropes and develop my own style.
Oh dude, I feel that so hard. I just recently started my first game because even though I have really good RP experience, I've never really lead anything, so I figured forum style would give me adequate time to /not/ freak out and to put together decent ideas between poses. But yeah. That feeling of panic is constantly there anyways! Hopefully this helps us out in a friendly no-pressure zone. I think the biggest hurdle to jump is just the first one of getting over our own insecurities. Maybe we'll never get over them but we can face them so many times that we become jaded to them. :D
May 9, 2019 11:59 pm
sadrielle says:
Oh dude, I feel that so hard. I just recently started my first game because even though I have really good RP experience, I've never really lead anything, so I figured forum style would give me adequate time to /not/ freak out and to put together decent ideas between poses. But yeah. That feeling of panic is constantly there anyways! Hopefully this helps us out in a friendly no-pressure zone. I think the biggest hurdle to jump is just the first one of getting over our own insecurities. Maybe we'll never get over them but we can face them so many times that we become jaded to them. :D
Yes, that is definitely the biggest obstacle! I'd really like to find a way around my insecurities so I could give GMing a real try.
May 10, 2019 12:28 am
Sandelfon- please let me know what your hangups are about DMing...
May 10, 2019 12:33 am
Moonbeam and Sadrielle, I think you're in the right place!
May 10, 2019 4:41 am
strumdaddy says:
Sandelfon- please let me know what your hangups are about DMing...
I'm trying to figure out pacing and overall campaign design in this kind of setup. Maybe I'm just looking for examples of how other people have run games in play by post, but I like the idea of practicing with other GMs to see what does and doesn't work.
May 10, 2019 8:42 am
I'd love to GM (that's why I am trying it :p). What is keeping me is mostly finding the time for it. It just takes too long to get all the rules and prepare every NPC and encounter, specially in PbP where improvisation isn't really, really improvising is it? The other major problem is that I can come up with general scenarios and events but then it is more difficult to define the actual details players enjoy. So I'll give them a story, but it will probably not be as enjoyable as it could due to lack of detail. However, I'm happy to fail, so fear is there, but it isn't too bad ;)
May 10, 2019 1:50 pm
If you guys need any pointers about general PbP stuff, GMing in Pbp, or anything else, let me know. I've GMed over two dozen games in a PbP environment and would be happy to help out if you have any questions

You do not have permission to post in this thread.