Rules

Oct 28, 2015 3:18 am
House Rules

General

1a. There is no limit the the amount of Inspiration you may accrue. You can, however, only use one per roll.

1b. You may use your Inspiration to gain a re-roll on a failure. If you use it this way it does not count as having been made with advantage for the purposes of features that require that (such as sneak attack)

2. When riding a mount over multiple days of travel, the base distance traveled for the travel pace you select (Fast, Normal, or Slow) is increased in proportion to the ratio of the mount's speed to normal human speed.

Thus, with a riding horse, the distances traveled at each pace are doubled per day, because a riding horse's speed (60) is double that of a human's speed (30). With a pony, the distances are increased by 1/3, because a pony's speed (40) is one-third greater than a human's speed (30).

Here is a table that shows the distances traveled PER DAY at different paces with the various mounts listed in the Player's Handbook:

* Unmounted:
Fast: 30 miles
Normal: 24 miles
Slow: 18 miles

* Donkey, Draft Horse, Elephant, Mastiff, Mule, Pony (speed 40):
Fast: 40 miles
Normal: 32 miles
Slow: 24 miles

* Camel (speed 50):
Fast: 50 miles
Normal: 40 miles
Slow: 30 miles

* Riding horse, warhorse (speed 60):
Fast: 60 miles
Normal: 48 miles
Slow: 36 miles

Combat

1. Two Weapon Fighting only requires that your off hand weapon be light. You may use a regular one-handed weapon and then attack with a light weapon in your off-hand as a bonus action.

2. Shields may be used in Two-Weapon Fighting. A shield deals 1d4 + Str damage on a hit, but does not gain your proficiency bonus to attack rolls.

Variant Rules

Side-Based Initiative: Initiative will be side based, I will make the rolls for each side. Actions will be adjudicated based on order of posts. Once everyone on a side has posted it will switch to the other side.

Disarm: A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.
The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.

Climb onto Larger Creature: A suitably large opponent can be treated as terrain for the purpose of jumping onto its back or clinging to a limb. After making any ability checks necessary to get into position and onto the larger creature, the smaller creature uses its action to make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the target's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If it wins the contest, the smaller creature successfully moves into the target creature's space and clings to its body. While in the target's space, the smaller creature moves with the target and has advantage on attack rolls against it.
The smaller creature can move around within the larger creature's space, treating the space as difficult terrain. The larger creature's ability to attack the smaller creature depends on the smaller creature's location, and is left to your discretion. The larger creature can dislodge the smaller creature as an action- knocking it off, scraping it against a wall, or grabbing and throwing it- by making a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the smaller creature's Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. The smaller creature chooses which ability to use.

Shove Aside: With this option, a creature uses the special shove attack from the Player's Handbook to force a target to the side, rather than away. The attacker has disadvantage on its Strength (Athletics) check when it does so. If that check is successful, the attacker moves the target 5 feet to a different space within its reach

Overrun: When a creature tries to move through a hostile creature's space, the mover can try to force its way through by overrunning the hostile creature. As an action or a bonus action, the mover makes a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the hostile creature's Strength (Athletics) check. The creature attempting the overrun has advantage on this check if it is larger than the hostile creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller. If the mover wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space once this turn.

Tumble: A creature can try to tumble through a hostile creature's space, ducking and weaving past the opponent. As an action or a bonus action, the tumbler makes a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the hostile creature's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the tumbler wins the contest, it can move through the hostile creature's space once this turn

Cleaving through creatures: When a melee attack reduces an undamaged creature to 0 hit points, any excess damage from that attack might carry over to another creature nearby. The attacker targets another creature within reach and, if the original attack roll can hit it, applies any remaining damage to it. If that creature was undamaged and is likewise reduced to 0 hit points, repeat this process, carrying over the remaining damage until there are no valid targets, or until the damage carried over fails to reduce an undamaged creature to 0 hit points.
Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm
Would everyone rather do side-based initiative or individual?

Side-based has a tendency to speed things up quite a bit, but can be punishing for the side that loses the first round
Oct 28, 2015 2:52 pm
I think side-based works better for organisation of actions, but I don't have strong opinions one way or the other. I say use whichever you prefer Naatkinson
Last edited October 28, 2015 2:53 pm
Oct 29, 2015 7:09 am
Just curious: how do you determine the results for each side?
Do you:
1) roll for each combatant, and then consider only the highest roll for each faction to determine which side goes first?
2) Figure out who has the highest initiative modifier on each side, and then just roll for those characters to represent their sides?
3) Average the initiative modifiers of all the participants for each side, then apply those averages to a single roll for each side?
4) Just do a straight roll for each side, without initiative modifiers?

Edit: Never mind; I just remembered this is a variant in the DMG. Whoops!
Last edited October 29, 2015 7:17 am
Oct 29, 2015 12:47 pm
Actually spaceseeker19, I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to run it. Might be according to DMG or I might use one of the alternatives you mentioned. Anyone have input on what they'd like?

If no one can tell, I am a very democratic DM lol
Oct 29, 2015 2:02 pm
I have no strong preference, only that someone is able to keep track of who goes when. :)
Oct 29, 2015 2:18 pm
Same. No preference.
Oct 29, 2015 2:29 pm
Ok, cool, I will just do a straight roll unless there are some special circumstances (or maybe if someone takes the Alert feat)
Oct 31, 2015 5:15 pm
Favored Terrain:
• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
• Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
• Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
• If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
• When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
• While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

This would not gain you a bonus on Survival checks in the forest, it does have some other cool benefits though.
Nov 2, 2015 5:06 am
Remember, the Warlock telepathy ability only works within 30 feet, and only on creatures you can see.
Nov 2, 2015 6:35 am
On i didn't forget...;)
Nov 4, 2015 12:37 am
Quote:
Two Weapon Fighting only requires that your off hand weapon be light. You may use a regular one-handed weapon and then attack with a light weapon in your off-hand as a bonus action.
New house rule added! This one is primarily to allow people to use real fighting styles like Rapier/Dagger, without the use of a feat.
Apr 14, 2016 8:50 pm
I'm all about that! Rapier and dagger here I come
Apr 14, 2016 8:53 pm
luchadorjose says:
I'm all about that! Rapier and dagger here I come
It's such an iconic style, I was upset when I found that the rules didn't allow it :(
Apr 14, 2016 8:54 pm
With a rogue, having two attacks a turn is essential for getting your sneak attack damage locked in, so two weapon is the only option. Rapier makes it so that you're less nerfed when you can't sneak attack :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.