Has anyone tried Open Legend?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 16, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had tried Open Legend or was interested in trying it out? I'm just getting a feel for it and I'm not sure what I think of it yet....

For anyone interested, the complete rules are available online at: openlegendrpg.com
Last edited May 16, 2019 6:22 am
May 16, 2019 9:58 am
No, but at first glance I would give it a go
May 16, 2019 11:33 am
A game of it started on here a year or so ago, but the GM disappeared before it could pick up steam. It was pretty neat, though
May 16, 2019 2:17 pm
I have it, well i would need to download it again from drivethru. Rana good campaign using it. It is a nice system overall as it is essentially the old Chaosium system overhauled from Runquest.
May 16, 2019 2:54 pm
Tried a game a while back, sadly it died.
May 16, 2019 8:13 pm
I showed it to my local group (who is generally willing to play anything) a while back, and it was roundly rejected. The reasons varied, but mostly came down to not understanding the reasons behind the design decisions, which honestly, I have a hard time figuring out as well.
May 16, 2019 8:23 pm
I am curious which design decisions are they? I played it and it worked well. Remember that it is an old system that has been upgraded so some thing may go back to its origins. I am not sure how will it will play in PBP as it is a more complex system especially when it comes to exp and such if I am remembering correctly. It is a simple d100 rule under at its core.
May 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Ohh, that's right. There's OpenLegend (d100) and Open Legend (d20+Ability Die). I was talking about the second one. It's one of those where its hard for me to tell whether it plays better than it reads, or reads better than it plays. If you know what I mean. The basic mechanics are pretty straightforward, but some ideas seem a bit cumbersome (handfuls of advantage/disadvantage dice, soo many boons and banes!). But then I futz around with it a little and it seems like it works.... And the ways to customize a character are pretty impressive.
May 17, 2019 3:40 am
Yeah, I was speaking about the d20+ability die one too. It plays pretty well. As long as you keep remembering that every die roll counts (so no "I'll roll search too") it flows pretty well. I find it also has a sort of Final Fantasy feel to it. it would definitely be easy to make an FF game out of Open Legend. But then again it would also be easy to make an FF game out of Earthdawn, so...
May 22, 2019 10:12 pm
Viking, I don't really remember what they objected to now, it's been a couple years ago, when that site first went up. I think KaeJae touched on a lot of it though. The dis/advantage dice are unweildy, and the check resolution could use failing forward instead and save about 374 pages of detailed instructions. They already say every roll matters, so why complicate it?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.