Deadlands Classic, anyone?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 21, 2019 5:43 pm
Howdy, pardner!

So, last week I found a used copy of Deadlands Classic 20th Anni Edition at my FLGS and bought it ($25, what a steal). Now I'm jonseing to play it. Problem being I'm pretty full-up with my current game-load...

Ideally I'd prefer to play, but I realize what a long shot asking someone else to run it is, so I think I'm prepared to try to make it happen as the Marshal...

It may end up being too much, but I want to give it a shot.

So. You in? Ante up, desperado!

Here at Gamersplane, you're either quick, or you're dead.
May 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Deadlands sounds interesting to me. I can purchase the book but I'd need a few nights to read up on it. I'm playing one other DnD 5e game at the moment, but I think I can handle 2.
May 21, 2019 6:10 pm
Deadlands is definitely on my list of games to try. I wouldn't be able to do anything this week, but I'll follow the thread and if nobody else wants to run it, I'll give it a hard look next week.
May 21, 2019 7:43 pm
Using playing cards to pick the PC's traits is a cool idea.
May 21, 2019 7:52 pm
It's a cool idea, but in my experience from IRL play it can result in pretty disparate power dynamics in a party (just as random rolls in something like D&D can). So, full disclosure, were I to run it, I would probably use a "distribution" method.
May 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Oh man, I love classic Deadlands... Hmm, sadly I'm in too many games right now... Maybe if one of my games dies.
May 21, 2019 9:11 pm
emsquared says:
It's a cool idea, but in my experience from IRL play it can result in pretty disparate power dynamics in a party (just as random rolls in something like D&D can). So, full disclosure, were I to run it, I would probably use a "distribution" method.
Point buy seems to work best for PBP.
May 22, 2019 9:44 pm
Hey there, are you allowing material from any of the classic Deadlands books?
May 22, 2019 10:14 pm
King_Moloch says:
You're only the second person to express solid interest (if you are expressing interest), so nothing is set in stone yet, including whether this game is gonna happen.

But were I to run it, I have The Quick & the Dead, and Hucksters and Hexes, and would review anything you wanted to use from those two books and consider allowing them.

Beyond that, I'd probably be leery of anything I don't have access to the source material on.

I've never played in a game that used any thing other than the core, and I've heard some of the splats have some broken stuff...
May 23, 2019 3:13 am
I very interested. I've considered running this for my IRL troupe but we decided Vampire instead. It might be the next one we play when the current campaign ends next year.
May 23, 2019 3:31 pm
King_Moloch says:
I just realized you may have thought the game was on, because I created a game page for it. Actually, I had just never used the Card Deck feature, so I created the game mainly to play around with that... with only a dash of "If you build it, they will come." mixed in there.
May 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Okay so like I am 100% unfamiliar with the system, and only vaguely familiar with the setting & concept, and I don't have time right now to wade through a whole rulebook tbh. But I love the Western genre, and I love the horror genre, and Ravenous is one of my favorite movies of all time. I've played Down Darker Trails, the Wild West supplement for Call of Cthulhu, and loved it.

Point is - this game seems sweet and I'd join if it goes up and you don't mind a novice to the system.
May 23, 2019 4:49 pm
It's a pretty simple system: roll a pool of dice, compare the highest single die result (after re-rolling "aces"/explodes) to a Target Number.

There is some nuance with "Raises", and Hit Locations, and a couple different "health tracks", but they're not particularly hard concepts to grok...

And there is a (poker chip-based) meta-currency mechanic. And a couple of playing cards-based mechanics. But they're so flavorful that I've never considered them a complication.
Last edited May 23, 2019 5:55 pm
May 24, 2019 8:51 pm
I own the book and am as familiar with the system you can be without playing it. I'd be up for joining.
May 24, 2019 11:47 pm
Well, sounds like there's maybe just enough interest to get it goin'. Let's give it a shot. Sending out invites to all who popped in here.

Still got room for at least one more though if there's anyone else out there who wants in on some of the Weird West.
Last edited May 24, 2019 11:51 pm
May 30, 2019 4:30 pm
I've seen some new members looking for games so I figured I'd bump this interest thread.

We have started the game with 4 players but I'd like to take on as many as two more.

No prior system experience necessary. Just an interest in some Weird West horror, and a willingness to learn. Game system resources are available in game.
Last edited May 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Jun 3, 2019 3:38 pm
Last call! If anyone wants to get in on the RPG that spawned a thousand RPGs (Savage Worlds), here's your chance!

Come join us in the Weird, haunted, and wild West!
Jun 7, 2019 11:16 pm
Just saw this. If your still looking
Jun 7, 2019 11:19 pm
We just started the In Character thread, but if you're able to get up and going pretty quick, you'd be more than welcome.
Jun 8, 2019 2:30 am
Commenting to say I had a hoot playing it when it was first published, now I can't remember how it works. But it's a solid concept. Won't mind lurking till it comes back to me. And will pick up the anniversary edition to read up on it for sure.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.