OOC - Character Creation Thread

Oct 31, 2015 3:06 am
Let's use this thread to discuss character creation, etc.
Oct 31, 2015 3:12 pm
I've posted the six folio backgrounds for the beginning characters in case anyone is interested in using one of them. Using these is completely optional. If you'd rather make you're own character that's absolutely fine. If anyone needs help making a character, this is the thread where we will do that together. :)
Oct 31, 2015 3:18 pm
BTW to summarize:

Arhkan - Bothan Commander
Cael - Human Soldier
Jin-Rio - Human Diplomat
Tendaar - Mon Calamari Engineer
Vendri - Duros Spy
Zal - Human Ace
Oct 31, 2015 9:00 pm
If I make a Bothan Spy... am I required to die every mission?
Nov 1, 2015 2:59 pm
Keleth says:
If I make a Bothan Spy... am I required to die every mission?
I dunno -- even though Scotty had a red shirt he managed to survive. :)
Nov 1, 2015 3:10 pm
I'm thinking of making an Engineer: Saboteur or a Diplomat (either Agitator or Ambassador).

Either way, I'm always tempted towards force sensitive characters that are not aware of their force sensitivity, and the Foresee powers looks particularly fun for this (a sort of 'intuition' about the future). If falryx is ok with dealing with Foresee that is (because scrying powers and spells are always extra trouble for a GM, so I'm always keen to ask permission first; and appreciate when my players do the same).
Nov 1, 2015 3:17 pm
I'm happy to work with an unaware Force Sensitive. Especially since I eventually plan on enabling this and the FaD campaign to come together -- could make a nice hook. Given how untrained a character would be -- it would be straightforward enough for me to manage Foresee, as well. :)
Nov 1, 2015 3:21 pm
Sweet! Well that much of my character is decided -- now the tough choices of species, and career. Are we restricted to just AoR species or can I look at EotE and FaD species as well?
Nov 1, 2015 3:27 pm
Any species you can find the stats on works for me. If you want to get the benefit of seemingly literally everything the Character Generator by OGGDude has everything you could possibly want in it.
Nov 1, 2015 4:33 pm
I'm actually thinking of making a Zeltron diplomat, but I'm not sure if Zeltron's are official statted anywhere (looks like none of the three core books have them, but there are some fanmade stat blocks for them out there). I found them in this

I found this portrait that I like (portraits inspire me usually); and I'm thinking of basing the character on Chianna from Farscape (social manipulation, a dash of selfishness and the unwanted ability to on occasion glimpse the future).
Nov 1, 2015 4:49 pm
That can work -- how would the Rebellion have come into play (the dash of selfishness could be contraindicated, depending..).
Nov 1, 2015 5:08 pm
Could be that he 'fell' into being a rebel. He was out in the 'verse, travelling, seeing worlds, experiencing things and being young and reckless... He had a vision of himself supporting the rebel cause, then the next day his smooth talking got him into a tight spot, squeezed between imperials and rebels. Recalling the vision, he supported the rebels and has since, partially guided by the occasional vision, continued to support the rebel cause.
Nov 1, 2015 5:10 pm
I'll try to look over characters options today, but I tend to either go for a supportish character, a long range combat char, or a sneaky char. I've played EotE, but none of the others, so I don't know how the Force works in this game, though I'd be intersted in exploring it. However, doesn't make sense to have multiple force sensitives, unless the campaign calls for it.
Nov 1, 2015 9:26 pm
I think I'll make a modified Zal... Make it a man named Kal with the same backstory and I'll build him as a ace hotshot.
Nov 1, 2015 9:57 pm
Keleth says:
I'll try to look over characters options today, but I tend to either go for a supportish character, a long range combat char, or a sneaky char. I've played EotE, but none of the others, so I don't know how the Force works in this game, though I'd be intersted in exploring it. However, doesn't make sense to have multiple force sensitives, unless the campaign calls for it.
It'll be fine -- it'll cost you some skills that may make parts of the adventure a little more challenging than you'd prefer -- but we have some flexibility that the starter folios don't have.

You could arguably go Sentinel: Artisan if you wanted to be a Force-sensitive mechanic. Though it'd be less about explosives and whatnot that the saboteur gets.

Similarly, Candi if you preferred you could build a Mystic: Advisor perhaps? They are close enough to the Diplomat in parts they could be interesting -- and the Presence stat is critical to the Mystic career path.
Nov 1, 2015 10:38 pm
I found these as well, they are very helpful for making characters efficiently: Talen Sheets Reference

Mystic is from FaD... do those careers come with a base Force Rating, or will I still need to grab a Universal career that has a force rating to get one?
Nov 1, 2015 10:47 pm
All FaD careers come with a Force rating of 1.
Nov 1, 2015 11:26 pm
Mystic: Advisor looks good to me. Makes things easier for sure (not having to dip into a Universal for Force Rating). I'll try and get a roughed up character sheet tomorrow.
Nov 1, 2015 11:31 pm
DarthWash says:
I think I'll make a modified Zal... Make it a man named Kal with the same backstory and I'll build him as a ace hotshot.
Sounds good Darth - we definitely need at least one person with piloting skills.
Nov 2, 2015 4:01 am
Ok - we got our 5 players. We're full up.
Nov 2, 2015 11:59 am
Got a start on the character. Still have 10 XP to spend, and the obligations stuff to sort out, but it's a start! :)
Nov 2, 2015 3:17 pm
Ok i made a character however i am willing to play a premade guy. Then i dont have to worry about back story stuff. Where donyou find these sheets?
Nov 2, 2015 6:06 pm
Kjmagle says:
Ok i made a character however i am willing to play a premade guy. Then i dont have to worry about back story stuff. Where donyou find these sheets?
Up to you on whether you want to use your character or a pre-made. If there's a premade you like the sound of, let me know and I can past the remainder of the folio. A couple of 'em are PDFs you can grab from FFG, too.
Nov 2, 2015 7:55 pm
Well this is what i have right now. Would just need another obligation for some money to get some weapons.

Kjmagle character
Last edited November 2, 2015 7:56 pm
Nov 2, 2015 8:01 pm
I think you need to make the character public (you can do that from the screen that shows all of your characters).
Nov 2, 2015 9:06 pm
Yup, it works now!
Nov 2, 2015 9:41 pm
Kjmagle says:
Well this is what i have right now. Would just need another obligation for some money to get some weapons.

Kjmagle character
Isn't soak equal to Brawn? Wouldn't it be a soak of 4 + armor (for 6, maybe?)
Nov 2, 2015 9:45 pm
falryx says:
Kjmagle says:

Kjmagle character
Isn't soak equal to Brawn? Wouldn't it be a soak of 4 + armor (for 6, maybe?)
I am not for sure but if it is I will take that!
Nov 3, 2015 11:21 am
Am I understanding Obligation right that I can take a -10 penalty on Obligation for 10 XP (or 5 XP and some cash, or a big ol' pile of cash -- although I do plan on just taking the XP)?
Nov 3, 2015 12:36 pm
Candi says:
Am I understanding Obligation right that I can take a -10 penalty on Obligation for 10 XP (or 5 XP and some cash, or a big ol' pile of cash -- although I do plan on just taking the XP)?
Yeah i believe so i want to take a 2nd obligation for money so i can get some weapons.
Nov 3, 2015 5:57 pm
Yes -- although Obligation is officially an EOTE thing. In AOR the key item is Duty, rather than obligation. Not sure if it has the same duty-for-xp mechanic or not. My CRB is at home so I can double check in a couple days. Also note, Candi, as a mystic, your character's default mechanic is Morality (which you can use for XP too).

My thought is that FAD character careers will have Morality and Duty. EOTE character careers will have Obligation and Duty. Straight up AOR will just have Duty.

Kjmagle - one thing you'll want to do is have a reason/story behind why this hired gun is part of the Rebellion.

-t
Nov 3, 2015 6:00 pm
Question: Are FaD/EotE chars ok? Or should we stick to AoR?
Nov 3, 2015 6:07 pm
falryx says:

My thought is that FAD character careers will have Morality and Duty. EOTE character careers will have Obligation and Duty. Straight up AOR will just have Duty.
That sounds fair. The only game I've properly played of this system is EotE, I was in a FaD game here but it barely got started (and I was sad to see it fade out, because I think the system is very interesting. That is why I've continued to try and get into FFG SW games when they pop up).

If I can do something to gain bonus XP, I'm definitely doing it! I'm not too keen on having a blaster or weapon to start with, so the extra credits aren't interesting to me. More interesting is the possibility of squeezing Presence up to 4 (and +10 XP will get me there, with some other tweaks).
Nov 3, 2015 6:28 pm
Pretty sure Morality 50 = +10 XP.
Nov 3, 2015 6:28 pm
I'll double check tonight if you don't confirm before I get to my hotel. I do have the FAD CRB in my luggage. :)
Nov 3, 2015 7:12 pm
falryx says:

Kjmagle - one thing you'll want to do is have a reason/story behind why this hired gun is part of the Rebellion.

-t
How abt this?

Brosck’s life has been of one of servitude, all his life he has known to be a slave of the Hutts. He was trained a when he was young to fight and protect his master and he did so for a long time. He was a fierce fighter. Brave as they come. Never fearing what he would be battling, just doing what he trained for. He was very proud of his ability and boasted it about.

One of the other older and higher up guards [inset name here] started getting jealous to the attention Brosck was receiving and challenged him to a fight. Of course Brosck would not back down. In his mind he was the best. In the beginning they were both equally matched, in fact it seemed that Brosck may have the upper hand. Brosck proceed to taunt the other guard, and this was where his mistake was. The other guard was just toying with him. He started to fight with his full strength and ability, beating Brosck down. Brosck could not defend himself as he was being hit over and over again. Brosck had dropped to the floor and did not get back up. The other guard had won, however the guard was not satisfied. He continued to beat on Brosck as his fellow guards watched.. Brosck was lifeless after the beating. The last thing he heard before he lost conscience was "Pathetic".

The guards took Brosck’s lifeless body and dumped it in [insert area and planet here]. They left him there to die, and he would have if it wasn’t for [insert person here]. He/she found his body lifeless but still alive and quickly took him home. There Brosck was nursed back to health. When he gain awoke the person greeted him, but Brosck didn’t talk back. He was ashamed how he was beaten. The person continued to work and heal Brosck back to health. The person continued to talk to Brosck even though he would never talk back. This went on for weeks. The person always talked to him, let him know what was going on. Bringing him food, nursing the wounds, never asking much. One day the person was trying to once again to get Brosck to get up and rehab his wounds. Get him walking. Brosck was not budging from his spot.

"Look you need to get up! You need to get moving around to get your body stronger!" the person said.

"WHAT IS THE POINT!" Brosck yelled breaking his silence, "I WAS BEATEN. I AM NOT THE STRONG I AM WEAK!"

"Well you do speak. Look here. Just because you got beaten doesn’t mean you are weak. You are only weak if you do get back up when you have fallen. If everyone never tried getting back up we would have planets full of bodies lying on the ground. So you need to tell me are you going to rise up from your failure or just continue to sit there sulking as I continue to bug you every day to get up… because I will not stop trying every day."

With that Brosck glared at the person for a while… then she pushed his hands away from him. "I will do it myself" he muttered under his breath. He then proceeded to try to get up. After many tries he managed to stand.

The person and Brosck continued to rehab. They became friends. Talking about what is going on in the worlds. The empire. The injustice.

"You know I plan on joining the rebellion." The person said to Brosck.

Brosck just laughed. "What would you be able to do against something so big as the empire?"

"Anything. It doesn’t matter what I can do, it only matters that I do." The person pauses. "You know the rebellion could probably use someone like you also."

Again Brosck laughed. "Why would I want to fight the Empire?"

"Because…" The person paused for a bit, and then said "it was the fight your were destine to do. You will help many people and the name Brosck will travel throughout the Galaxy. Brosck the Mighty. Brosck the Warrior. Brosck the Liberator"

Brosck sat there, staring out into the sky for a long while thinking… quietly thinking…. Then he smiled.
Last edited November 5, 2015 1:09 am
Nov 4, 2015 4:08 pm
I like it!

So -- I think we have 2 characters nearly complete. That leaves 3 -- Darth, Keleth and SWRPGGM (hard to shorten that name!). Keleth noted he's working on a character and hopes to be done in the next day or so. Darth and SW?
Nov 4, 2015 5:20 pm
Can I get a confirmation on class restrictions? I've been looking at the FaD classes/races as well as AoR classes/races, and trying to narrow down what I want.
Nov 4, 2015 5:22 pm
All AoR classes are open. EOTE and FAD classes are permissible with a sufficiently thought through story or (as in the case of a diplomat-mystic:advisor or soldier:hired gun) there's a good analog in another ruleset that will suit. My intent is to be flexible -- I may provide a nudge or two if it feels like we're missing an important skill set.

The thing to remember is that you folks will form a special ops team, so it should be suitable to that function/role.
Nov 4, 2015 6:35 pm
falryx says:
I like it!

So -- I think we have 2 characters nearly complete. That leaves 3 -- Darth, Keleth and SWRPGGM (hard to shorten that name!). Keleth noted he's working on a character and hopes to be done in the next day or so. Darth and SW?
I sent SWRPGGM a Skype message. I know he was working on it Monday and yesterday.
Nov 5, 2015 2:16 am
R2-G5 reporting fer duty
Nov 5, 2015 2:33 am
I'll should get mine done tomorrow. I'll at least have it close to finished by then
Nov 5, 2015 3:12 am
starwarsrpggm says:
R2-G5 reporting fer duty
Awesome! I'm excited to see an astromech in play.
Nov 5, 2015 10:01 am
A droid! Cool!

Also, in terms of party skills coverage, Kael is REALLY charming. 2 Charm, 4 Presence (so I roll 2 Green 2 Yellow on Charm) and from my race I get a Boost to Charm (so 2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Boost), and through a talent I remove 1 setback from Charm tests... Super Charming. Also pretty decent at Negotiation (3 Green, 1 Yellow), Perception (2 Green, 1 Yellow) and Deception (2 Green, 1 Yellow). He'll get better at all of those skills as he climbs the talent tree as well.

Which is all to say, Kael's got the 'positive social' angle covered... That said, he's rubbish in combat (no skill, 2 Agility, 2 Brawn). Maybe he can talk his way out of a fight ;)
Nov 5, 2015 6:27 pm
Kael sounds like "Face" from the A-team. :) I'm probably dating myself with this reference...
Nov 5, 2015 6:53 pm
falryx says:
Kael sounds like "Face" from the A-team. :) I'm probably dating myself with this reference...
No no Starbuck and Face are things we should know. As long as they are th 80s version.
Nov 6, 2015 1:03 am
Pocket change roll.

Rolls

1d100

(50) = 50

Nov 6, 2015 2:06 am
starwarsrpggm says:
R2-G5 reporting fer duty
don't forget to submit the character via the game panel:

http://gamersplane.com/games/141/
Nov 6, 2015 11:18 am
Rolling for motivations, because dice are fun (I have a character creation guide for EotE... some I'm using the EotE table).

Aaaand we got Ambition: Love -- how cute.

And I think I'm done (as I've just finished shopping -- Holdout Blaster, Long Range Comm Device, Heavy Clothing, Stimpack x2). I guess I need a Duty/ Obligation (I'm also happy to roll for that like I did the Motivation).
Last edited November 6, 2015 11:26 am

Rolls

First Table - (1d10)

(2) = 2

d% - (1d100)

(11) = 11

Pocket Money - (1d100)

(62) = 62

Nov 6, 2015 3:35 pm
If you want to roll for duty, it's d100.

Options are: combat victory, counter-intelligence, intelligence, internal security, personnel, political support, recruiting, resource acquisition, sabotage, space superiority, tech procurement, and support. If you want to pick one and know more, let me know.

Don't sweat obligation. At this point only and EOTE career needs it to tie into their character.
Nov 6, 2015 3:37 pm
Duty Roll!

Also, do I not also need Morality because I'm a FaD class?

Rolls

Duty - (1d100)

(32) = 32

Morality? - (1d100)

(92) = 92

Nov 6, 2015 5:47 pm
Yes -- need morality, but IIRC it doesn't have the same structure as Duty/Obligation. I'll take a more detailed look this afternoon. Will also report back on Duty. My guess is, based on the roll, intelligence.
Nov 6, 2015 5:52 pm
A love-stricken charmer seeking intelligence for the rebellion (with a presently ambiguous moral standing). Sounds great :)
Nov 6, 2015 7:09 pm
Candi says:
A droid! Cool!

Also, in terms of party skills coverage, Kael is REALLY charming. 2 Charm, 4 Presence (so I roll 2 Green 2 Yellow on Charm) and from my race I get a Boost to Charm (so 2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Boost), and through a talent I remove 1 setback from Charm tests... Super Charming. Also pretty decent at Negotiation (3 Green, 1 Yellow), Perception (2 Green, 1 Yellow) and Deception (2 Green, 1 Yellow). He'll get better at all of those skills as he climbs the talent tree as well.

Which is all to say, Kael's got the 'positive social' angle covered... That said, he's rubbish in combat (no skill, 2 Agility, 2 Brawn). Maybe he can talk his way out of a fight ;)
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/3B4453CB-762B-4B00-A23A-52C09F2D86C7_zpstzrnomax.gif
Nov 7, 2015 1:19 am
Candi -- I wrote up a lot of stuff, but I got errors posting. End result, I lost my post. The net is (and I'll transcribe more detail):

Duty: Internal Security
Morality: Emotional Strength: Discipline, Emotional Weakness: Obstinance
Motivation (if you want AOR rather than EOTE): Belief: Honor

I'm in my car on mifi, so typing more is a pain in the behind. I'll get more detail up on each of these tonight.
Nov 7, 2015 2:59 am
Ok.. More detail.

Duty - 32. Internal Security: The most dangerous threat to the Alliance comes from within its own ranks. Any Rebel soldier, operative, or ally could be an insidious threat waiting to take an action at a critical moment to bring entire operations crashing down, costing lives and assets. Knowing that vigilance against these threats is the truest form of devotion to the cause of the alliance, the PC watches for any and all signs of betrayal.

Morality - 95. Discipline: Rigorous mental and physical discipline comes naturally to the character. He does not make choices rashly, and every action is precise and selected. Those who think they can goad the character into making foolish choices are sorely mistaken.

Morality - 95. Obstinance: Disciplined characters may fall into the trap of simple stubbornness if they are not careful. An obstinate character often refuses to consider any course of action other than the one he chooses, unwilling to accept that someone else may have conceived of a better option.

Motivation - 2 and 11. Belief: Honor: The Player Character has a code of honor by which he lives, derived either from personal ethics or the culture from which he hails. He sees the Empire as the antithesis of everything he stands for, and he will fight it to the end.
Nov 17, 2015 4:57 am
Ok, character submitted, hopefully it meets approval.

Moro, a Mon Calamari Scientist, specializing in physics and energy weapons, was a former captive of the Empire, forced to do weapons research. Freed on a Republic raid, he's dedicated to undoing the damage his work may have done.

I'll write up a longer history if this overview meets with your approval.
Nov 17, 2015 5:25 am
Sounds lovely! I'll review the character folio shortly!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.