New player looking for a game! :D

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 30, 2019 11:47 am
Greetings! :D
I'm relatively new to tabletop RPGs, but I'm eager to try them out - and since none of my friends are quite into gaming, and I also prefer playing in text over spoken word, I'm searching for a small online group to join! This site seemed inviting, and here I am, hoping to find an adventure! ^...^

Edit: not looking for any more games right now, but I'll still listen to offers for the future! :D

What I'd love to play!
I'm willing to learn any system, and the more important part to me is the setting and the story. Of course, my lack of knowledge and experience might be a bit unfitting for harcore games with heavy focus on strategy, and I'm much more interested in writing a story over tinkering with the actual battle mechanics - although I'd love to do both! Home-brewed campaigns are great, even when unbalanced. :D
I'd prefer to play an adventure written by the GMs themselves, even if it's not very detailed or even not finished yet. I want a unique story, even though I trust that there's a lot of great published adventures! :D I'm open to these as well, still, but I love to read original plots and settings that people come up with.

I have a lot of genres I like, but some of them I'm more excited to play!
- Fantasy - the knights, mages and warlocks kind, the more original the world-building is, the better!
- Modern world with added elements of supernatural - see, vampires, werebeings, ghosts, witches.
- Pagan folklore. Slavic, namely, although I certainly would like to explore myths and legends of other regions!
- Post-apocalypse and apocalypse-in-progress, especially when caused by zombies or pandemics.
- Horror. Both atmospheric and gore, although I can't say I'm very fond of eldritch beings.
- Detective. Especially when combined with horror or fantasy! I love a good mystery, and a good mystery in an original setting is a delight.
- Animals. There needs to be more RPGs about animals. Yeah, it's probably more of a general forum RP thing, but still!
- Humour. It's nice when it is present in other genres, but I'd be curious to see a humorous psychedelic fantasy story. Maybe a road trip that ends up in other world?
- Time travel. Especially the cycling time travel, with one day repeating over and over. :D

Do you need to know what a player I am?
But even if you don't, I'm going to write it anyway.
- My timezone is GMT+3.
- I want to play via text only, and preferrably on only one - this? - site.
- I don't have a lot of experience, but I have a lot of enthusiasm! :D
- I have a bit of an erratic schedule, and I am not very good at being consistent in my appearances. I'll try my best, but I can't promise that I would never drop out of a game.
- I love writing! Long posts, short posts, descriptive posts, dialogue-only, I'm pretty sure I can adapt to your format. :D And yeah, I love emotes - at least in non-gaming posts.
- I'm best at playing two types of characters: either friendly, cheerful, compassionate ones or grumpy and prickly loners who secretly wish for love and rainbows. In other words, they all are on the good side of the spectrum, if we're talking monochrome. I can sometimes play other types, but pretty much all of them will be nice to an extent. XD

Things I'm not good at:
- Romance. I usually can't write a convincing romance - I can try, of course, but it will likely never be my forte! And if I do try, it has all the chances to be cheesy and way too cute. :D
- Historical settings. I never was very interested in historical stories, and my knowledge of many time periods is quite lacking. I will try my best to do research, should I play anything that requires it, but mistakes are to be expected!
- Drama. I'm afraid I cannot be proactive in drama writing - I can react to dramatic happenings, but I'll have trouble with initiating or describing one.

Things that might be a problem:
- I'm not a native English speaker, even though I know it quite well! :D My native language is Russian, which is less strict with its sentence structure than English - and because of the force of habit, I will sometimes place words in order that doesn't quite work in English as well as it does in Russian.
- While I'm not good at writing romance, I love reading it - and combined with my excitement from the games, it makes me ship characters! XD Not that I'll ever try to push these ideas (unless other player is okay with it, I guess?), but I imagine some might be uncomfortable with even just the remarks. Better to be warned in any case!
- I don't use explicit language. I'm completely fine with others using it, sometimes it's very fitting for the setting, but I would do my best to avoid it - which can be atmosphere-breaking for the darker kinds of stories.
- I like to proud myself on being polite, open-minded and willing to work with others, but I'm afraid that sometimes I get too invested into things, and an overly enthusiastic player can probably become a nuisance (...actually, I'm already being overly enthusiastic with this post, I suspect). At least I will read all the world-building stuff you'll give me! XD

...I feel like half of all that info was unnecessary, but brevity is not my virtue.
Do feel free to invite me to your games even if they're not in my favorite genres, I'm mostly just looking for a nice group to play with! :D

Anyway, thanks for reading, and have an amazing day! ^...^
Last edited May 30, 2019 3:25 pm
May 30, 2019 11:56 am
Well that was an awesome intro post; your self-cataloging of your +/- was very introspective and probably a worthwhile exercise for everyone. Welcome FlyingSucculent!
May 30, 2019 12:05 pm
Qralloq says:
Well that was an awesome intro post; your self-cataloging of your +/- was very introspective and probably a worthwhile exercise for everyone. Welcome FlyingSucculent!
Thank you! ^...^ I felt like it was practical to list the things I'm better at, so people can see if they want me in their group right away - it's better to know what to expect from someone before playing with them, after all. :D
May 30, 2019 12:11 pm
welcome FlyingSucculent!
All I can offer you for now is a playtest where not knowing the rules is for the best :D It does fit what you're looking for.
Story-wise, it is a very basic published adventure, but is has potential to continue into a complete game.
May 30, 2019 12:17 pm
Welcome! Very nice intro post! Lots of good information and a good self-analysis. Looking forward to having you in one of my games in the future!
May 30, 2019 12:26 pm
CESN says:
welcome FlyingSucculent!
All I can offer you for now is a playtest where not knowing the rules is for the best :D It does fit what you're looking for.
Story-wise, it is a very basic published adventure, but is has potential to continue into a complete game.
Thank you! And a playtest does sound interesting - it might be a great place to learn more about the mechanics in general! And to flex my creative muscles, as it's been a while since I've written something continuous. :D I'd love to know more about it, if you can give me a direction where to head to! XD
Last edited May 30, 2019 12:26 pm
May 30, 2019 12:27 pm
Naatkinson says:
Welcome! Very nice intro post! Lots of good information and a good self-analysis. Looking forward to having you in one of my games in the future!
My thanks! And I'm certainly looking forward to joining your games as well! Just send me a note, I will be waiting. ;D
May 30, 2019 1:08 pm
On your PM box :)
May 30, 2019 1:33 pm
Much better than my intro, Welcome
May 30, 2019 1:48 pm
Replied to you, CESN! ^...^
Mathfuric says:
Much better than my intro, Welcome
Thank you! :D And intro quality is subjective, haha - they are as different as the players are, after all, and that's the beauty of it! XD
Last edited May 30, 2019 1:48 pm
May 30, 2019 2:03 pm
Timezones are much less of a problem when you pbp.

If you are interested, I still have room in my Dungeonslayers game.
May 30, 2019 3:24 pm
kalajel says:
Timezones are much less of a problem when you pbp.

If you are interested, I still have room in my Dungeonslayers game.
They probably are, although opposite timezones can still make the game a lot slower, I imagine? :D
And thank you for the offer! :D Unfortunately, I don't think I will be quite able to match your post requirement, and I think I'll be in generally overwhelmed by such a big group. But I'll keep an eye on your games! ^...^ Maybe later, when I'll get more experience... XD
May 31, 2019 2:10 pm
My post requirements in my games are more of a suggestion than anything else. Also, the group is currently quite small, I've had a lot of people quitting for various reasons, I just don't remove them from my list of players because I'm lazy. :P

No problem. If you ever change your mind, feel free to drop by.
May 31, 2019 3:07 pm
kalajel says:
My post requirements in my games are more of a suggestion than anything else. Also, the group is currently quite small, I've had a lot of people quitting for various reasons, I just don't remove them from my list of players because I'm lazy. :P

No problem. If you ever change your mind, feel free to drop by.
Yeah, right now I think there are 3-4 active players and we're going at about a post every day or two (from each person)
May 31, 2019 4:10 pm
I'll keep it in mind! ^...^ I just don't want to bite more than I can chew, and then have to drop off because I joined way too many games than I have time to write for. XD
May 31, 2019 6:36 pm
Amazing introduction and welcome to GamersPlane!

It wasn't exactly on your list of games you'd love to play but I am running a Modern game using the Spycraft 2.0 system. We are currently in our first 'mission' (adventure) and I'm purposefully starting small but have plans for the game/campaign to grow in scale along with the characters.

We've suffered a bit of attrition with a couple of players 'ghosting' on me, but the pair that have remained are very enthusiastic, knowledgeable of the system, and seem invested in the story.

PM me if your interested.

Seuss
Jun 1, 2019 4:45 pm
Seuss says:
Amazing introduction and welcome to GamersPlane!

It wasn't exactly on your list of games you'd love to play but I am running a Modern game using the Spycraft 2.0 system. We are currently in our first 'mission' (adventure) and I'm purposefully starting small but have plans for the game/campaign to grow in scale along with the characters.

We've suffered a bit of attrition with a couple of players 'ghosting' on me, but the pair that have remained are very enthusiastic, knowledgeable of the system, and seem invested in the story.

PM me if your interested.

Seuss
Thank you! ^...^ And I've sent you a message! :D

You do not have permission to post in this thread.