Chapter 1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

May 31, 2019 5:59 pm
Seated around a table in a small tavern called the Snapping Line in the small settlement of Saltmarsh is the most unusual group of people anywhere within at least a hundred miles. A heavily muscled lizardman, a dim-witted turtle-man, a powerful-looking warrior woman, a perpetually happy minstrel, and a pair of half-elven twins that could not be more different in interests and temperament.

It's a night like any other and the tavern is full of people enjoying their food, drink, and companions. As the ale flows, people begin telling tales, each one taller than the last. Most of these are clearly drunken boasts, but you do hear one that catches your interest.

"I'm tellin' you that it's true!" a drunk man, Dren Wormwood by name, slurs to his companions, "I been there and it really IS haunted!"

His companions, getting drunker by the moment, are now starting to pay attention, "Yeah, then go ahead and tell us what you saw!"

Dren nods, "Well, I was a little bit hungry on my way back from fishin' and I figured, 'Hey, maybe there's something inside to eat!', you know?" he begins, "So I wandered in the back door and started to head downstairs, to the cellar, you know? So, on my way down, it got real cold and a ghost appeared at the bottom of the stairs!"

His friends are tense, listening now with rapt attention.

"I saw that ghost and it reached for me, so I ran as fast as I could," Dren says, "It followed me right to the back door, but it turned around and went back in once I got out of the house."

His friends sit back, looking exhausted from just listening to the man's tale. Once the tale is through, someone orders a drink for Dren, who sits back, looking satisfied.

You all know by now the tales of the haunted house a few miles up the coast. It's been abandoned for years after the original owner, a reclusive alchemist, died under mysterious circumstances. Over the past few months, you've heard tales of noises and lights from the place and rumor has it that the ghost of the alchemist is awake and wants to protect the vast treasures he's accumulated over his lifetime.
May 31, 2019 6:15 pm
Eshe sits at the table with her arms folded across her chest, her meal long since finished in the blink of an eye. As usual, she is sober and alert. She sits eavesdropping with a skeptical look on her face, one eyebrow cocked. "Are you all getting this? Ghosts? Ha. Sounds more like someone is playing a prank to keep people away." She scoffs in the common tongue. "What do you think Merry?" She pitches the question to who she considers to be the most well read of the lot, but also flashes a glance to Lucan.
OOC:
Merry is a bard right? and Lucan = sorc? Sorry still a lil confused about these two
Last edited May 31, 2019 6:16 pm
May 31, 2019 7:23 pm
As soon as the silence subsides from the group listening in on the drunkard, Terry speaks before Eshe, turning towards Merry. Anyway, what I was saying is that with you on the lute and with Sobek on the drums, we could be BIG. Terry demonstrates how big with his hands. Just sayin'. He says, as he places a portion of fish in his mouth, opening up the table for Eshe to begin her inquiry.
Last edited May 31, 2019 7:29 pm
Jun 1, 2019 12:20 am
Margot listens to Terence's proposal, though most of her attention is in her mug. After she finishes what's left in her mug, she sets it down on the table with a small clatter. "Sure, sure. So long as there's something where we both can do drums."

"Coulda been a bit drunk then, could've been tired after fishing. Could just be telling the truth though. Tales have passed around my school about ghosts, banshees, and other spirits.
By the hells, I had this one guy prattle on about a ghost that gave him a good time! Bahaha!
"
OOC:
Yeah, she's a bard. Also, to clear some future confusion, it's just Margot around friends or the sort. Merry Margot is just her stage name for most to call her
Jun 1, 2019 3:38 am
Sobek crunches on a whole chicken.

"Ghost? Sobek no eat ghost before! Maybe taste like... Toast? Bwahaha!"

It takes awhile for Sobek to regain his composure, such as it was.

"Sobek drum good, but Sobek already 'BIG.' Terry want to get big? Eat like Sobek!"

He swallows the whole chicken in one gulp and then beats out a passable rhythm on his chainmail-encased leathery tummy.
Jun 1, 2019 5:52 am
Dearest brother of mine, I am not going to sing on a stage. I'll sing in the shower, I'll sing... Lucan trails off as the barmaid walks by.
... I'll sing to beautiful girls the last few words were emphasized in hope of them reaching the maid.

Toast? No Sobek, I don't sing to toast... wait what? Oh Ghosts, I know a song about ghosts

Lucan stops and blinks for a second, his train of thought and his mouth are scrambling to find each other again.
What were we talking about? Ghosts? Where?
Jun 1, 2019 11:43 am
Eshe laughs heartily at Sobek's antics. "That's the spirit my friend!" She agrees and slams a fist on the table.
Jun 1, 2019 12:44 pm
Yeah, that's why I didn't ask you to sing, Lucan. He says, already exhausted of his sibling's presence.

Vitality resumes as he starts talking about his scheme again. No Sobek, by 'big' I mean famous. I know you're on the lookout for smarts, my friend, but you hardly need them when you're famous. Isn't that right, Pong?
Jun 1, 2019 5:47 pm
"Well, I wouldn't know anything about that!" Pong says with a wink of his one good eye. A leather eyepatch has covered the scarred socket after he lost the eye fighting the dockside fire that made him a local hero. "Another round for my friends, my dear." the tortle calls to a passing serving girl. Pong is buying tonight. As in spending actual coin. It's his 20th birthday after all.

Turning back to his friends with a grin, he lowers his voice, "None of you really believe in that ghost nonsense, do you?"
Jun 1, 2019 6:38 pm
"Ya, Sobek believe story! Why not believe? Saltmarshers not believe in turtleman or lizardman before they see Pong and Sobek! Big world!"

Sobek suddenly remembers something and rummages around in his pack. He pulls out a potato sack wrapped with a bow.

"Pong's birthday present! Open it!"
[ +- ] Present:
[ +- ] Cunning Artisan
Jun 1, 2019 8:16 pm
Terry's eyes bulge at the strangely alarming gift but recovers quick enough to respond to Pong's question. I've been around a bit now and I've heard more convincing stories than that about ghosts. I'm still on the fence but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Jun 1, 2019 8:56 pm
Mister Bral, the wizard, told me that magic is energy...Igni while Lucan speaks the candle flame on their table grows three times its size, big enough so shapes are visible in the fire. ...Souls can shape and alter this energy... The flame dies down to the tiniest of glows. ...So why can't souls in their final moment grab hold of this energy and hang on? Even after their body is dead and buried?As ghosts?

But enough of this glume... Lucan releases the candle flame and it returns to normal.
He stands up on his chair and begins to sing a passing Happy Birthday to you....
Last edited June 1, 2019 8:58 pm

Rolls

Skill: Performance - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jun 1, 2019 9:08 pm
Sobek sings in all the wrong notes but with all the right feels.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jun 1, 2019 11:09 pm
Eshe looks on at the strange tradition of birthday singing with a disapproving frown and shifts awkwardly in her seat. "...how embarrassing..." She waits for the singing to be over then chimes in. "The shamans of my tribe could speak to the spirits of our ancestors and to natural spirits, but I have heard of the lingering dead, only in tales meant to scare us as children....but as you say Lucan, perhaps such a thing is possible. Oerth is indeed full of wonders, but seeing is believing."
Last edited June 2, 2019 12:38 pm
Jun 1, 2019 11:26 pm
Sobek agrees vehemently with Eshe and Lucan.

"Of course Ghost real! Sobek once fight man with no skin and no meat, only bones! Ghost is like that guy, but Ghost lose bones too."
Jun 1, 2019 11:55 pm
OOC:
Hahaha. Lenpelletier, I am absolutely loving your roleplaying of Sobek! Great job! Love the character!
Jun 2, 2019 2:50 am
Pong is touched by Sobek's gift, and the group's singing. "Aaw, you guys! Thanks! Group hug! Group hug!" afterward, he continues admiring the shield and only reluctantly puts it away.

"So you guys are saying you go in for that undead stuff? I'll believe it when I see it!" an idea forms in his dim little noggin, "Say, how about a little adventure? Whaddya say we go looking around over there tonight? Awooooo!"
Jun 2, 2019 3:14 am
"Yea! Awooooo!" It was one Sobek's most closely-held beliefs to never refuse peculiar travel suggestions, for he believed these were the work of Istus, goddess of fate. This probably accounted for how he had ranged so far away from his home.
Last edited June 2, 2019 3:15 am
Jun 2, 2019 3:15 am
Hey, if it'll prove it to you once and for all, I'm all for it. Terry shrugs. Lucan, do you think the captain'll be mad if we borrowed one of his lifeboats?
Jun 2, 2019 6:35 am
With a big smile at Terry, Lucan replies: I was thinking the same thing... but with moms fishing boat
[ +- ] Moms Dinghy
Last edited June 2, 2019 6:38 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.