Security and sanity upgrades

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 5, 2014 9:57 pm
If you haven't been on Gamers' Plane in a while, this may be a great time to take another look.

As some of you may know, this project has been building for over 6 years now. When I started it, my programming experience was minimal, and my knowledge of things like security were nearly nil. I've improved over the years, and by in large, updated the code for this site accordingly. However, there were a few steps I neglected to update when I went live earlier this year, and so I've finally gotten around to updating those. By in large, its piece of mind code for me, but you can also rest assured, I'm working on your information security. Because of this update, passwords had to be reset. You'll have to use the "Forgot Your Password" feature on the login page to set a new password.

Along with that, I've rewritten how the site sees users. This is in anticipation of some new features coming up, like character avatars, but also because my old code was messy. I'll probably have a number of updates centered around "Did I really code that badly x years ago?" The answer is most always yes. The big thing from this update is that there's a decent chance I broke stuff that was previously working. I did a lot of testing and searching, but because of how underlying this code is, I suspect you guys will find stuff. As always, if you do, post it in the bug forums and I'll have it fixed ASAP.

For stuff coming soon... fate dice! This'll likely be followed by the Dresden RPG. I'm also working on character avatars and how they'll be integrated into games.
Nov 5, 2014 10:27 pm
Yay on all fronts. Deus is putting together a Dresden game right now which I quite look forward to, so fire under your butt on fate dice and Dresden.
Nov 6, 2014 7:13 pm
Yeah actually if you can get the sheet/game together for DFRPG before Tuesday I can delay putting the game up officially til then and just organize in Games Tavern for now. That way we don't have to set it up under Custom and then find a way to migrate it later.
Nov 6, 2014 10:03 pm
I keep to take a look at how complex the character sheet is to determine how viable Tuesday would be. Maybe I could get up something basic, without much testing.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.