Prologue - Wolf Hunt

Jun 4, 2019 7:06 am
"Werewolves in the mist!" You've heard these dreaded words spoken again and again by farmers, merchants, and adventurers alike. The hamlets east of Daggerford have fallen prey to a pack of werewolves that spills out of the Misty Forest on nights of the full moon, cloaked in crawling mist that seems to follow them wherever they go. The beasts spread death and mayhem, slaughtering adults and stealing children before retreating back into the woods. Others have tried to combat the werewolf menace, with little success.

While inexperienced you have gathered together to provide what aid you can to those under the shadow of this menace, either out of the kindness of your own heart or because you are fulfilling a task set before you. Either way you are here in the hamlet of Bowshot just to the south of Daggerford. Bowshot and the surrounding thorps have been the center of the werewolf activity recently and experienced hunters are trackers are combing the forests looking for signs or tracks to reveal the whereabouts of their lair.

You have been tasked with keeping the people of Bowshot safe from the possibility of attack on this the last night of the full moon. Currently you sit in the Howling Moon inn in Bowshot discussing plans for the upcoming night.
[ +- ] Lord's Alliance
[ +- ] Harpers
[ +- ] Emerald Enclave
Jun 4, 2019 7:37 am
It was a simple note to his Mother. ‘We require Burnham to travel to Bowshot Village near Draggerford. Seek out a Tempest Cleric at Howling Moon Inn, a good man to be trusted, and help him protect the locals from a wolf problem.’.
"Take this with you my love", says Burnham’s Mother as she kissed his forehead and handed him ‘Weretooth’. "It protected your Father may it protect you."

After a couple of weeks of hard traveling Burnham walks through the Inn door looks around (Perception test) before striding confidently to Hivalln

"Burnham. We know why we’re here and I feel this night will be long. Let’s not sit inside for long discussing our plans together so I can search the area and get a layout of the town, from there I believe we should be able figure out which direction they’ll come and how best to protect the innocent."
Last edited June 4, 2019 11:16 am

Rolls

Perception test of Inn - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Jun 4, 2019 9:43 am
Hirvalln needed no further urging to make his way to Bowshot from his Harper contact. There were children that need rescuing, and he had been told that there were others like-minded as he was who would assist in defending the town. He arrived before dusk, and had stationed himself in the Howling Moon inn, the only one in the hamlet. An inauspicious name, he thought to himself.

He stood by the table nearest the fireplace, a tall figure in armour, and called very little attention to himself. The villagers knew why he was there, and no one made any attempt at conversation, troubled as the hamlet was with the werewolf's attacks.

Before long, the door swung open, and the entrant confidently strode up and addressed Hirvalln, to which he replied, "I am known as the Anchorite. You are right that we are here for a common purpose, and we should make preparations once the others arrive."
Last edited June 4, 2019 11:15 am
Jun 4, 2019 11:03 am
He nods at Anchorite before walking over to an occupied table in a shadowy corner, pulling up a chair he just glared at them until they walked away leaving alone at the table.
Jun 4, 2019 2:26 pm
With steadfast obedience, Osoro answers the call of her new Lords - she would not disappoint them. An exotic sight in Bowshot, she stands as one of the last remnants of the fallen empire of Mulhorand far to the east. She has attracted the eyes and questions of many, but has little to say about the fall of the great empire. "What a burden it must be to carry around inside." Some have asked her.

"I serve the living, not the dead." Is her answer. Yet those not of Mulhorand, likely will not understand the irony of that statement coming from someone who once served Osiris - Lord of the Dead. Rumor has it the Mulhorandi gods had left this world and forsaken their people.

She enters the Howling Moon like a spirit in the night, with orders from the Lords of Waterdeep to meet with a storm priest, a ranger and two skulks. She drifts over to the table closest to the hearth upon seeing the armored priest. The sting of abandonment and isolation pulls at her heart as she sees his holy vestments. The tall, dark and slender woman in exotic Mulhorandi fashion, approaches the priest and greets him coldly, but politely. "Greetings friend. Osoro Eze of Waterdeep."
Last edited June 4, 2019 2:57 pm
Jun 4, 2019 3:37 pm
Raith being slightly delayed finally gets to Daggerford where he meets with Haund. he receives the information and places the given scroll in an easily accessible location. He then heads to the inn.

Raith walks into the inn and scans the room, Though they have never met he was given a description of another of the Lord's Alliance that was being sent to combat the werewolves.

Upon seeing her, He walks over and says in a friendly voice,"Greetings, Osoro Eze I presume? My name is Raith, Haund told that you would be here. It seems we have been given the same assignment."
Jun 4, 2019 4:28 pm
"Greetings, Lady Eze. I am the Anchorite." The eastern-looking woman had identified the priest based on his unmistakeable holy vestments, unconventional as they were. Anchorite Hirvalln wore chainmail that bore both tarnished stains of corrosion, and marks of galvanising, as if they had seen much exposure to the ocean and the harsh elements, tempered by the lightnings of the sky. Across his shield, in lieu of an emblem or a holy symbol, stretched a braided lock of what looked like human hair, in which was woven various objects, a tooth, some bone, scales, the entire length tapered to an end knotted around a miniature anchor. Though the shield sat by the warm hearth, the braid of hair seemed to be constantly wet with the rough saltwater of the sea.

With the entry of the man named Raith who conversed with Osoro, the party was nearly all present. "I believe we await one more."
Jun 4, 2019 6:43 pm
"Greetings Anchorite." Osoro nods respectfully to the priest, then turns to face the other Lord's Alliance agent she had be told about. "Greetings Raith. Indeed, it is an honor. Eravien Haund spoke highly of you and I look forward to serving with you." Osoro's head pans about the inn and finally her gaze falls upon the lone woodsman at the table. ".....and the ranger is not much for company I see...."
Last edited June 4, 2019 6:44 pm
Jun 4, 2019 9:13 pm
Bartender, another drink. I say loudly from the back of the room, not wanting to leave my seat. I sit there, my hood down, even though training says to keep it up. My green eyes are weary.

I really don’t want to be here.
Yes I know a werewolf would be a powerful asset to the guild.
No I don’t think I can convince it to join.

These conversations I struggle with since trying to start my own guild as my own boss.

Actually, never mind. Instead of ale, can you tell me where to find a werewolf?
Jun 4, 2019 9:25 pm
Raith goes over to Miles and says"Miles is that you, I haven't seen you in ages. if you looking for werewolf's you may want to join us over here. Not sure why you are looking for them but we are going hunting for them if you want to join us.
Jun 4, 2019 9:32 pm
Raith? Well son of a bitch. It’s been what, three years? I say, standing. I suppose I can’t go after one of these beasts alone.
Jun 4, 2019 10:01 pm
"I wouldn't recommend it, come on over and introduce yourself, we have all been sent her by various groups to work together to get rid of the problem and it is a problem."Raith says giving him a friendly clap on the back.
Jun 5, 2019 12:15 am
Hirvalln hadn't realised their fifth member was already in a hidden corner of the inn. Might as well get started. He looked at the others, including the two conversing, Raith and Miles. "My mistake, we are all here. Here because of a werewolf problem. Others are out hunting them down. Our brief is to defend this hamlet." The priest summarised the situation simply. "Let's hear suggestions on how we can do so."
Jun 5, 2019 12:20 am
"Well, it seems from what what I was told from a captured wolf that they are not from here but a land called Barovia. They come through a portal from there. We close the portal they stop coming. Sounds easy but there is about a dozen of them and the leader is named Krill and who knows what is needed to close a portal like this.", Raith says giving information they will need to make a informed decision.
Jun 5, 2019 12:50 am
Osoro glides beside Raith and chimes in. "I am in agreement. The key to ending this threat is to find and seal the portal, however, on this last night of the full moon our priority is protection. The threat of these were-wolves is escalated on a night like this, so perhaps we should defend tonight and seek this portal during the daylight. We should assess what we know of our enemy and work to suit. What are the most vulnerable points of Bowshot...and where are they most likely to attack next? Are their attacks at all co-ordinated? If they answer to a pack Lord then perhaps stopping it would be our most direct solution to the attacks? What are their motives? Food? Sport? Prisoners? All these things we must consider."
OOC:
What knowledge do we currently have on the previous attacks? Were they pretty random? Was there a pattern? Did they take any prisoners at all? Do they pick vulnerable targets?
Jun 5, 2019 2:20 am
As the other four gather together Burnham slides away from the table finishing the mead left by the previous occupants, he runs a cold eye over the group as he joins them. "Osoro? is right information would be valuable and by the looks of you two", looks at Miles and Raith, "This would be your domain."
"If someone can come with me so that we can scout around the hamlet."
OOC:
What time of day are we currently at?
If daytime do we have time set some defences and scout around a bit?
Jun 5, 2019 3:03 am
"In terms of defence, I can provide spells of protection. And also know someone who can swiftly silver our weapons. As for scouting I shall defer to your field knowledge, and those who hide well in the shadows." Hirvalln nodded in agreement. "It will be hard to predict when and where this portal will open though."
Jun 5, 2019 9:20 am
OOC:
It is mid-afternoon as you discuss your plans. Those of you who are here on the instructions of your factions know that you have been tasked with the protection of the village. You know that you are not the only group in the area. There are other groups defending other villages and some that are actively searching for the werewolves.

The village is a simple place, a small number of dwellings, mainly those of farmers and woodsmen, scattered around a square bordered by the inn, a large building that acts as the meeting place for the villagers, a blacksmith and a small shrine to Silvanus, god of wild nature. You know that the werewolves generally appear from the Misty Forest about half a mile or so to the east of the village.

Two strategies present themselves to you, to position yourselves in or near the village center and be ready to respond to any threats from any direction or to position yourselves on the eastern edge of the village, gambling on any attack coming from the Misty Forest, and to try to prevent any attack from that point.

You have time to set defenses, locals can help build small stuff but you can't throw up a ditch and wall for example. Previous attacks have been random with seemingly no pattern. The werewolves pick a village or thorp, attack, kill or capture whoever they encounter and disappear back into the forest. They seem to be indiscriminate in their targets generally starting with the nearest but moving on swiftly if the house appears to be barricaded or defended. Some of the stronger doors in the town bear the marks of claws that have tried and failed to gain entry, others bear the results of the werewolves deprivations with doors or shutters torn asunder and now left empty.

Up to six party weapons can be silvered at the Blacksmith's courtesy of the Harpers. These will actually replace the silver daggers I had initially awarded, instead of the dagger you can have your main weapon silvered. If you want arrows or bolts silvered then you get 20 of them in lieu of 1 weapon.
Jun 5, 2019 11:03 am
Holding Weretooth in his hand and giving it a kiss Burnham hands the Dagger and his Scimitar to Archorite, "Father will understand, can you have this silvered."

Turning to the group he says, "I believe the Eastern side would be best, barricaded up the village as best as possible with a couple homes looking like easy targets around which we set up."
Jun 5, 2019 11:11 am
"I can set special magic wards that will alert us of intrusion in key areas. Anything the size of a halfling or larger will set them off. This may be some help to us. We should start by finding out exactly how many homes we have to defend." Osoro also turns to the Anchorite. "If it's not too much trouble, please have my dagger silvered as well. I hope I don't need to use it."
OOC:
Hi DM. If I cast Alarm as a ritual, how many simultaneous instances can I have active? The spell actually doesn't say a limit.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.