Cryshal-Tirith

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 15, 2019 3:57 pm
The behir climbs, hardly slower on this vertical surface than sprinting across the frozen town below. With each surge of lightning from the tower into the lizard’s feet, blue and purple streaks ripple across its smooth scales, as though a storm cloud is caught within them. Fortunately, the shocking energy stops there and does not pass on to the riders.

Within a terrifyingly short time, the behir reaches the top of the tower where a wide windowed balcony is set into the structure’s face. Wind whipping his white hair about, Nym hops down from the behir into a neat roll and bounces to his feet. Once Alalla follows, the behir ducks back out and vanishes from view.
Jun 15, 2019 4:03 pm
Nym already holds a fine rapier in one hand and a throwing dagger in the other. "Well, my part of the deal is complete. Now you help me get what I need." He gestures to the room before them. "But first we need to deal with these."

Three crystal statues in vaguely humanoid shape rise up from the floor. Behind them is a grand, full-length mirror. The statues move to attack, their club-like limbs sparking with lightning.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/dc/ae/30dcae9bf15c3139fad11a8f9c6450f1.jpg
Jun 15, 2019 7:33 pm
Alalla says nothing and takes the last potion from her belt. She downs it, then draws her sword and sets it aflame.

Al gains 26 hp.

HP: 139/154
AC: 20
Last edited June 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Rolls

Potion of Superior Healing - (8d4+8)

(44132211) + 8 = 26

Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm
Nym disappears from sight, and a bare second later one of the crystal guards jerks weirdly as a hole appears in its chest. The dark elf’s invisible rapier does incredible work, leaving the magical construct barely functioning. How does he move so quickly?

"I remember these things." Nym’s voice comes floating from nothing. "Mind their shocking touch." The injured guard wails away with its club-like arms, but the strikes cannot find purchase on the elusive drow.

Alalla has worse luck as the two remaining guards advance on her. She takes several painful hits, each one accompanied by a stinging jolt of lightning (Al takes 25 bludgeoning and 22 lightning damage).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/ea/b1/88eab19d52063945f871f3438b5399ec.jpg

Rolls

Nym vs guard 1 (adv) - (1d20+14, 1d20+14)

1d20+14 : (9) + 14 = 23

1d20+14 : (5) + 14 = 19

Dmg to guard 1 - (1d8+9, 7d6)

1d8+9 : (4) + 9 = 13

7d6 : (4614564) = 30

Guard 1 vs Nym (2 attacks, disadv) - (2d20+6, 2d20+6)

2d20+6 : (1216) + 6 = 34

2d20+6 : (511) + 6 = 22

Guard 2 vs Al (2 attacks) - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

Dmg to Al (bludgeoning, lightning) - (1d8+4, 2d6)

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

2d6 : (51) = 6

Guard 3 vs Al (2 attacks) - (1d20+6, 1d20+6)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

1d20+6 : (17) + 6 = 23

Dmg to Al (bludgeoning, lightning) - (2d8+8, 4d6)

2d8+8 : (15) + 8 = 14

4d6 : (1645) = 16

Jun 15, 2019 8:44 pm
Alalla sets her feet and cuts at one of the 'healthier' crystals, putting enough reach and power into her swing to slice clean through the one Nym had been working on. Another swipe of her sword is blocked, but the last cleaves through the top of the crystal, sending it flattering to the ground.

Crystal 2 takes 37 slashing 25 fire damage (lethal) and Crystal 1 takes lethal damage. Retcon spending the superiority die on that crit w/ DMs permission cuz I misread the HP.

HP: 92/154
Last edited June 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Rolls

Attack 1 v crystal 2 - (1d20+10)

(5) + 10 = 15

Attack 2 v crystal 2 - (1d20+10)

(12) + 10 = 22

Damage - (1d10+5, 2d6)

1d10+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

2d6 : (22) = 4

Damage reroll - (2d6)

(51) = 6

Sweeping attack v Crystal 1 - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Attack 3 v crystal 2 - (1d20+10)

(20) + 10 = 30

Damage - (2d10+25, 2d6+12)

2d10+25 : (109) + 25 = 44

2d6+12 : (43) + 12 = 19

Jun 15, 2019 8:58 pm
A moment later the third guard drops with a flurry of devastating pokes through its chest. Nym becomes visible once more and sheathes his weapons. Trodding upon the broken shards of crystal littering the floor, he approaches the large mirror. He takes a moment to admire his reflection and straighten his hair.

Rolls

Nym vs guard 3 (3 attacks) - (3d20+14)

(51620) + 14 = 55

(Adv) - (3d20+14)

(172020) + 14 = 71

Dmg to guard 3 - (3d8+43, 7d6)

3d8+43 : (277) + 43 = 59

7d6 : (2565252) = 27

Jun 15, 2019 9:21 pm
Alalla watches, face cool stone. As usual. Her sword is still flaming and her grip still tight. She knows she could call on Torm and command Nym to stay and fight her. She could fill him with light so he couldn't slip away invisible. She could kill him quickly. She'd done things like that before.

With an internal slew of curses she douses the flames and sheaths her sword. She could kill him, but probably not. Not alone, and not if she wanted to have the strength to make it through this tower after. What in the planes have you gotten yourself into, you sword-for-brains?
Jun 16, 2019 12:45 am
Nym chuckles for a moment without explanation, then he speaks an arcane phrase: "Sabah Al-jeer." The view in the mirror suddenly changes to show a small library.

The drow clucks his tongue and puts a hand on the mirrors surface, then swipes to one side. The view changes again, this time showing a prison with a battered man kneeling in prayer. Everard? Another quick swipe. A bright room with a pedestal, over which a shard of crystal gently floats. Nym hesitates here, then with trembling hands swipes once more.

This room Alalla recognizes, for it is the grand hall of the Temple of Tempus. But its windows are dark with crusted ice, and awful scribbles deface the statues and floor glyphs.

"This is the one. This is where I need your help. There is an item I need you to retrieve for me. You’ll know it when you see it. I’d warn you of all the dangers, but I don’t actually know what they are, so you’ll just have to be quick." His finger hovers over the glass. "Are you ready?"
Jun 16, 2019 1:38 am
Well at least it wasn't the crystal. Still... hopping through unknown dangers for something for Nym? He did say that after she retrieved it Belhifet wouldn't be a problem. Not that Nym could be trusted.

"That's really the best you've got for me?" Alalla folds her arms. More internal cursing. "If you wanted quick you should have worked harder to get Zenithral here. But yes. I'm ready."

Second wind.
Last edited June 16, 2019 1:57 am

Rolls

Second wind - (1d10+11)

(1) + 11 = 12

Jun 16, 2019 2:19 am
Nym grins and taps the mirror’s surface.

Immediately the mirror becomes an actual doorway. Nym folds his arms and waits for Alalla to enter.
Jun 16, 2019 2:20 am
As soon she passes into the entombed Temple of Tempus she feels the mirror-portal close behind her. Then she sees more clearly the toppled pedestals that once held prized relics of Tempus’ followers. She sees the enormous statue of Tempus himself standing with each foot on the saddle of a warhorse. Between the horses is a great door with intricate runes. Standing at the door is Revered Brother Poquelin.

The archdevil Belhifet.
Jun 16, 2019 2:22 am
His back is to her, but she would know anywhere that shaved head, those peculiar robes, and the exotic smell that lingers about him. He pauses in his perusal of the door, then turns to face her. He actually seems somewhat surprised, but the he straightens.

"You’ve changed, Alalla." His voice is as smooth as ever. "You have found a deity to take you in, yes? Strange, how that happened only after the blessing I bestowed on you."
Jun 16, 2019 2:45 am
Alalla stops with a start. She should not be surprised at all, but she is. Nym.

Her hand on her glaive is tight, but as Poquelin speaks she actually finds herself relaxing. Commenting on her blood, and a god accepting her oaths? Torm had viewed her whole life before accepting her oaths. He had already accepted orcish clergy, and Keggruk and others would be paladins before too long.

The comment might have sent her writhing some time ago, but now it seems almost trite. Belhifet is smarter than her and commands more power, but he doesn't know everything. He does have flaws.

Al feels like she should have something clever and sassy to say, but Zenithral is really the one who is good at that. Instead she narrows her eyes. If he thinks he is getting to her, he shouldn't have any trouble monologuing on his own.
Jun 16, 2019 3:16 am
His eyes on hers, it feels as though he may be reading every thought that crosses her mind. He shakes his head sorrowfully. "And so your hubris grows. I tried to point you to the right path. I tried to give you correction. But you stubbornly refused every opportunity, yes? And the tree that will not bend to the wind must break."

He reaches into a pocket of his robe and pulls out a small black coffer with intricate silver enamel. From the craftsmanship it must be worth a fortune, never mind whatever might be inside. He flips the clasp up and down several times with his thumb, considering.

"How like you this world is. Blind to truth. Blind to reason. Blind to the inescapable doom that will befall existence should I fail!" Belhifet’s voice rises to a strained shout by the end, loud enough to cause Alalla’s ears to ring.

He calms himself with a deep breath and closes his fingers about the coffer. "And so they must be shown, yes? They all must be shown. You thought you saw unspeakable things in Avernus. In my home. But when you see those horrors split this world like an overripe melon, you and all the rest will see and understand what me and mine have been bleeding for over millennia."

His eyes burn as he stares into Alalla’s. "And then we, the heroes, will finally receive the recognition we are due. That I am due."
Jun 16, 2019 3:52 am
Alalla glances at the coffer when he produces it, then only watches it out of the corner of her eye. Was that what Nym was after? Or was it all a total lie, and she is just a distraction while he gets the crystal? She growls inwardly. She hates all this intrigue.

"I'm full of hubris? But you're after recognition? Do you even hear the words that come out of your mouth?" Yikes. A tree to break, indeed.
Jun 16, 2019 4:24 am
Belhifet sighs. "I have things to attend to, and your mewling bores me. The barbarians are proving more trouble than they are worth." He holds up the coffer, front towards Alalla. "But I cannot have you pestering me. You never had the heart for this. How fortunate that you accepted the one I fashioned for you."

He flips open the lid on the coffer, releasing a power within that leaves like an expanding cone of black and white that leeches all color from everything it touches. Though Alalla has never before seen an anti-magic field, she knows what it is when it falls upon her. Her enchanted cloak falls drab about her shoulders. Her empowered weapons lose their luster. And her heart, Bilewing’s heart...

The heart turns off.

Alalla is reduced to 0 hp and is dying. She cannot succeed on death saving throws.

Belhifet sets the open coffer on the ground before Alalla. So close, and yet she is powerless to close it. He leans close to murmur in her ear. "I hope you enjoy whatever heaven Torm has for you, yes? Because eventually when I arrive with the hosts of the Nine Hells to conquer it, I may keep your soul as a trophy. Alongside your husband’s, yes?"
Jun 16, 2019 4:27 am
The archdevil turns away and walks toward the mirror, shedding his mortal form as he goes. He does not look back as he passes trough the mirror, and then Alalla is left alone in the hall with only the black coffer for company.
Jun 16, 2019 5:07 am
Alalla falls to her knees. She isn't surprised. Not really. Belhifet has had a heavy hand in her life since he met her, and it has always been the upper one.

She tries to catch herself as she tips forward, but her arms refuse to work. She falls onto her front, unfocused eyes barely seeing the artifact on the ground in front of her.

A tear leaks free. She'd come all this way, and for what? As her mind starts to haze, her own words echo in her mind.

"Perhaps I'll add devil vanquisher to the list before the end. Or perhaps not."

"Maybe we'll just be the first line of soldiers on the battlefield- maybe we were always meant to be..."

"Soldiers die, Zenithral. It's our job."

Yes, she knew it would end like this. Hope is not one of her virtues.

As her eyes close, one last phrase returns to her, spoken after she had sworn her paladin oaths. "There's so much work to do still... but if I die tomorrow, it won't matter. I've done enough."

Some measure of peace comes with that, and she doesn't fight her closing eyes.

Still. My poorest death yet.
Last edited June 16, 2019 5:12 am
Jun 16, 2019 5:15 am
Fine boots enter Alalla’s darkening vision. Nym squats down on the other side of the coffer from her. "Ouch! That looks like it hurts. I told you that after you helped me get this, Belhifet wouldn’t be a problem to you or me anymore. To you, because, well, I knew you would be dead. And to me, because once I use this nifty little box to steal Crenshinibon for myself, a mere archdevil won’t be a threat to me either."

He chuckles darkly. "A deal is a deal isn’t it? Aren’t I a drow of my word?"

A single black finger comes down to rest on the top of the coffer’s lid. "Or would you not mind if I lied just this once?"

He flicks the coffer closed.
OOC:
Al can make a con save, determining how much hp she comes back to.
Jun 16, 2019 5:17 am
Alalla gasps as her heart begins to beat again. Her hand darts out and grabs the coffer then stuffs it into her bag. "Not if I have anything to say about it," she growls, standing. Her voice fills with divine energy and she commands, "fight me."
[ +- ] Champion Challenge
That should be an action to put the thingy in the bag of holding and a bonus action for the Challenge. Will probably action surge.

Last edited June 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Rolls

Con save - (1d20+10)

(15) + 10 = 25

Jun 16, 2019 1:38 pm
"You can’t be serious... Look at you! You’re hardly in condition to fight." Nym frowns as the divine enchantment takes hold on him. "But I need that coffer back. I can destroy this tower with it."

Rolls

Nym wis save - (1d20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

Jun 16, 2019 1:44 pm
Alalla strikes out with her glaive against the drow. He is quicker than she thought, but she manages to disarm him with a strong smack to his hand.

Action Surge. Nym takes 18 slashing damage and loses his rapier. Al will use whatever she has left to kick it away from him, or pick it up, if she can.

Last edited June 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

Attack 2 - (1d20+10)

(16) + 10 = 26

Damage - (2d10+5)

(85) + 5 = 18

Nym strength save to keep his rapier - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Attack 3 - (1d20+10)

(10) + 10 = 20

Jun 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Nym’s rapier skitters across the hall. The drow tucks backward into a roll and rushes to retrieve it, but finds that Alalla’s compulsion keeps him from reaching it. He turns with a scowl and flicks his hands. Two daggers slip from bracers on his forearms into his hands. Then he ducks his head, and the hood of his cloak falls over his face.

He vanishes from sight.

Nym
HP: 105/123
AC: 24
Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm
As Alalla swings her glaive in the seemingly empty room, fear settles into her freshly started dragon heart. She almost died a second ago. What is she thinking? She has died twice already! This is futile, and she knows it.

But she's committed. She mutters a prayer to Torm and her glaive alights with power. Her last swing hits the drow and he begins to glow, becoming visible once more.

Al uses branding strike. Nym takes 24 slashing damage and 12 radiant damage. Nym is now visible and sheds dim light in a 5-foot radius and can't become invisible until the spell ends. Due to her fumble, Al is frightened of all enemies for 3 rounds. Nym must make a strength save or lose a dagger.
Last edited June 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Rolls

Attack 1 disadvantage - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

1d20+10 : (13) + 10 = 23

Attack 2 - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

1d20+10 : (1) + 10 = 11

Attack 3 - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (14) + 10 = 24

Damage - (2d10+5, 2d6)

2d10+5 : (109) + 5 = 24

2d6 : (16) = 7

Damage reroll - (1d6+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Fumble - (1d100)

(76) = 76

Rounds frightened - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm
Nym’s outline appears lit in magical radiance. He curses and pulls something from his belt. It seems to be some kind of black felt disc. He holds it up threateningly.

"This is a portable hole. I drop it here, under us, and we both fall in. And that lovely little bag of holding I gave you? Extra-dimensional spaces don’t mix well. It will destroy both items and dump each of us into the Astral Plane. I have a means of getting myself out of that particular mess. Do you? What use will you be to your friends, and who will stop Belhifet?"

Nym readies his action.

Rolls

Nym Str save - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm
Al's throat clenches in fear but she ignores it. She raises an eyebrow. "And your alternative proposal?"
Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Nym’s outlined shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. "That we stop trying to kill each other, obviously. And look. That coffer? If we close it around the floating crystal we saw in the other room it should dampen its power and destroy the tower."
Jun 16, 2019 3:37 pm
"Do not listen to him!" Erevain steps through the mirror, his face twisted in concern and fear. And shame. "He is a drow, and you cannot trust anything he says!"

Alalla’s husband walks up to the two, hands raised. "He won’t do it, my love. He doesn’t have any way to get back from the Astral Plane."
Jun 16, 2019 3:39 pm
"What are you doing here?" Nym looks back and forth between Alalla and Erevain, then let’s out a low whistle. "Ouch."

His hand still holds the disk at the ready.
Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm
A spike of pain comes at seeing Erevain here, but it fades quickly. It was old pain. Pain she already dealt with after deciding to keep a sure spy with her after Targos. Pain she dealt with the moment he left to scout. She did this to herself.

Alalla gives Erevain a level look. "Trust him? Did you miss the part where he sent me into Poquelin's arms to die? Let alone everything else. I'm offended at how little credit I'm getting here. Honestly, Nym. You're the only one surprised."

She looks between the two elves. This is not the garbage she signed up for when she left Easthaven with Halla. Will it ever be as simple as killing monsters again? She is so, so tired. "Well? One last chance to make your case. Both of you. Honestly, a trip to the Astral Plane sounds almost pleasant, but I know a dragon who would pay nicely for a certain drow head."
Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Nym chuckles. "Ah, yes. Aeri is such a -"
Jun 16, 2019 4:15 pm
Faster than a cobra, Erevain grabs Nym by the throat.

"You thought you were clever."

That is certainly not Erevain’s voice. "You thought you’d planned for everything."

Nym’s legs leave the ground to kick futilely in the air as ‘Erevain’ grows taller. More muscular. Glowing cracks appear in his skin and leathery wings sprout from his back.

Rolls

Vs Nym (4 attacks, adv) - (2d20+15, 2d20+15, 2d20+15, 2d20+15)

2d20+15 : (1120) + 15 = 46

2d20+15 : (116) + 15 = 32

2d20+15 : (1210) + 15 = 37

2d20+15 : (1614) + 15 = 45

Dmg to Nym - (5d6+34, 2d8+8, 2d10+8)

5d6+34 : (32224) + 34 = 47

2d8+8 : (54) + 8 = 17

2d10+8 : (77) + 8 = 22

Jun 16, 2019 4:23 pm
Then the fully-transformed Belhifet holds the drow just in front of his infernal, horned head. "Know this as you die, drow. You are weak. You are pathetic. And you are no match for an archdevil of Baator."

Belhifet opens his jaws and bites down on Nym, then rips him in half.
Jun 16, 2019 4:28 pm
As soon as 'Erevain' speaks, Alalla bolts for the mirror. She mutters the command and jumps through.
Last edited June 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Rolls

Where to? - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Jun 17, 2019 6:10 pm
The last thing Alalla notices before diving through the mirror is Belhifet poking through Nym’s pieces, looking for something. "You should have taken the deal, drow..."
Jun 17, 2019 6:10 pm
And then Alalla is through the mirror-portal. This room is not so large as the previous hall, and its walls are all made of crystal. In stark contrast to the beautiful prismatic colors, however, are spiked chains draped across the floor and hanging from the walls.

In one corner of the room is a prison cell, where Everard, priest of Tempus, Direhar of the Order of the Broken Blade. The older man’s face is haggard and bloodied, no doubt from the torture Belhifet has been inflicting on him.
Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm
Everard looks up blearily. "Alalla? No... It cannot be." He tries to rise up, but his old war injury causes his leg to give way and he crumples. "I will not trust this face you wear, devil!"
Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm
"Yeah, I get that. I'd prove it but I don't have time." Alalla examines the cell. Picking a weak spot she kicks the door of the cage, trying to bash it open, but she doesn't manage more than a dent. She curses heavily. "I've got basically three more seconds before I have to go. Are there keys or something?
Last edited June 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+10)

(2) + 10 = 12

Inspiration reroll - (1d20+10)

(5) + 10 = 15

Jun 17, 2019 8:00 pm
"Alalla..." The voice is from a cherished time in her past. Between her and the mirror stands Shelur, Alalla’s mother, just as she remembers her. But the look on Shelur’s face is sad - ashamed, even. "What have you done to yourself? I see none of myself in you, child." The words are in Orcish, spoken with the exact inflections that colored her mother’s voice all that time ago.

"You must not have loved me, after all."

Even though Alalla knows the fault for her appearance is not hers, she cannot help but feel horrible shame. It starts in her gut as a cold wound, then spreads to her heart as fear.
OOC:
Alalla is frightened for the next round, and loses a hit die.

Rolls

Al wis save DC 14 - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm
Everard puts his face in his hands and curls up in a ball in the floor. "Sarah... Tempus! Why am I forsaken? I... I have no more to give..."

His broken voice is a whimper. "I will open the door for Belhifet. Please, no more..."

Rolls

Everard wis save (disadv from exhaustion) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm
Alalla takes a step back despite herself. Her mother never smelled of brimstone and acid, and she had just seen Belhifet wear Erevain's face. So low, so pathetic to try and drag things up from her past to attack her. Even more pathetic that it should affect her so.

A shaking hand opens a small flask at her belt and she dips a finger into it. Smearing the water across her face, she murmurs a prayer. "Help me be strong." She feels divine power well up in her bones, holding her firm.

Al casts Protection from Evil and Good, and chooses fiends.
[ +- ] Protection from Evil and Good
Jun 17, 2019 9:08 pm
Shelur’s face melts away to reveal a devil beneath, a foul kyton. The fiend is covered in chains that writhe and lash at its command. It holds out both of its arms, and chains shoot forward to wrap around Alalla. She deflects some of them, and others are turned aside by her protective spell, but more chains on the walls and floor animate and seize her arms and legs (Al takes 35 slashing damage, and is grappled and restrained - which means speed is 0, and disadv on attacks and ability checks. Also, attack rolls against have advantage).

The kyton narrows its eyes. It does not speak, but Alalla hears its insidious voice in her head. This is where you stay. Eventually you will break, just like Everard. Eventually even your god will forget you, just as his has forgotten him. But I won’t forget you. I will be with you every minute of every day. And when your mind finally snaps... The fiend shudders in pleasure. But until then, you burn.

With the devil’s last word, the chains wrapping tightly about Alalla erupt in hellish flame (After resistance, Al takes 10 fire damage).

Kyton
HP: 85
AC: 16

Rolls

Kyton vs Alalla (6 attacks disadv) - (2d20+8, 2d20+8, 2d20+8, 2d20+8, 2d20+8, 2d20+8)

2d20+8 : (1011) + 8 = 29

2d20+8 : (2014) + 8 = 42

2d20+8 : (1920) + 8 = 47

2d20+8 : (97) + 8 = 24

2d20+8 : (813) + 8 = 29

2d20+8 : (198) + 8 = 35

Dmg to Al - (6d6+12)

(335624) + 12 = 35

Al concentration saves DC 10 (3 saves) - (3d20+10)

(191815) + 10 = 62

Dmg to Al (fire) - (6d6)

(651342) = 21

Jun 18, 2019 8:19 pm
I don't have time for this. I don't have time for this! Alalla rails against her captors chains and swings out with her glaive, but she is entangled too tightly.

HP: 47/154
Last edited June 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Rolls

Shove - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Contested check (modifier pending) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Shove 2 - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

Contested check (modifier pending) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Some disadvantage rolls - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (18) + 10 = 28

1d20+10 : (15) + 10 = 25

Attack - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

Jun 19, 2019 1:38 am
The kyton’s laugh - the first real sound Alalla has heard from it - is cruel and wheezing, like a punctured bellows. It flicks its hands again, and the chains about Alalla squeeze tighter, their spikes and flames biting (Al takes 11 damage, after resistance 7 more fire damage). How will you look with your skin removed? How much of your inner fiend can we bring to the surface?

A thrum of light passes from the floor, to the walls, to the ceiling. And then another. Then a steady surge. Like when the tower shot a beam of light that vaporized Fluphy.

Rolls

Kyton vs Al (2 attacks) - (2d20+8)

(419) + 8 = 31

Dmg to Al - (2d6+4)

(61) + 4 = 11

Fire dmg to Al - (6d6)

(321153) = 15

Jun 19, 2019 4:12 am
Alalla grunts as she tries to shove the Kyton away from her, but the fiend holds more tightly than it should. Or is she just weakening? Come on, come ON!

Al shoves the Kyton 5 feet away from her, and NOT towards the mirror.

HP: 29/154
Last edited June 19, 2019 4:19 am

Rolls

Shove - (1d20+10)

(13) + 10 = 23

Contested check - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Shove some more - (1d20+10)

(2) + 10 = 12

(20) + 4 = 24

Last shove - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

(19) + 4 = 23

Jun 19, 2019 4:23 am
For a moment the light is blinding, and then suddenly it subsides.

The kyton’s chains are relentless, and Alalla feels her strength begin to ebb (After resistance, Al takes a total of 18 damage).

Rolls

Kyton vs Al (2 attacks) - (2d20+8)

(154) + 8 = 27

Dmg to Al (slashing, fire) - (2d6+4, 6d6)

2d6+4 : (41) + 4 = 9

6d6 : (351234) = 18

Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am
With more effort than should ever have been necessary, Alalla finally breaks free of the Kyton's chains. She runs to the mirror and shouts the command word, hurriedly swiping until she finds the crystal room. She wants to say something to Everard, but an apology feels false, and she can't tell him he hasn't been forsaken in the same breath she uses to power her flight. She taps the mirror and jumps through.

It can't be too late. It can't. Please, Torm, let it not be too late.

HP: 11/154
Last edited June 19, 2019 4:40 am

Rolls

(6) + 4 = 10

SHOVE - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

WITH DISADVANTAGE - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Jun 19, 2019 11:50 pm
Everard says nothing, but only lies there weeping with his hands over his face.

Wounded and weary, Alalla stumbles through the mirror and into a room at the top of the tower. The wind whistles in through open windows that look out over a staggering portion of Icewind Dale, illuminated by the rising sun. She is so high that she can’t see Easthaven without leaning out one of the windows.

As she saw once before through the mirror, there is a pedestal in the middle of this room. Suspended a foot in the air above the top of the pedestal, at slightly less than eye level for Alalla, is a shard of crystal. It looks exactly like Cryshal-Tirith itself, but in miniature.
Jun 19, 2019 11:52 pm
"So you are the one over whom Belhifet has obsessed." One of the windows fills with the winged form of a pit fiend. Its muscled arms easily hold it in place against the buffering winds. It speaks in a burning tongue filled with guile and hate, but Alalla finds she can understand it as plainly as Common or Orcish. "He filled you with Zariel’s essence. He has always been one to bear a grudge. The way he dallied with that broken aasimar..."

It climbs further into the room, horned head ducking to pass by the crystal edges. "What do you intend to do here? That isn’t Crenshinibon, if you are hoping to steal it. It’s just one of its many copies. Powerful in their own right, but useless without the artifact itself."
Jun 20, 2019 12:03 am
Alalla sighs. The language makes her shiver inside, as well as his news about the crystal, but her weariness reinforces her battle-calm, and she barely notices. "I'm flattered to be worth an obsession. Was she broken before Belhifet... dallied?"

She pulls the coffer from her bag and clicks it open, making sure Merodach is enveloped in the cone as well as the crystal, just in case. "I don't really know. But I'm on this track already, so..." She shrugs tiredly. A ridiculous plan made by a dead man. There is no reason to believe this would do anything useful, she realizes, but she doesn't have any other ideas.
Last edited June 20, 2019 12:24 am
Jun 20, 2019 4:58 pm
The pit fiend licks its lips as though savoring a tasty morsel. "No, she was broken long before - No!"

The devil surges forward, but too late. The black and white cone covers it, and the fiend immediately vanishes as the magic holding it to this plane ceases to exist.
Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm
The crystal trembles violently, as does Cryshal-Tirith. Then the crystal crumbles.

As does Cryshal-Tirith.
OOC:
Al has 1 turn as the tower begins to fall apart!
Jun 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Without turning the coffer, Alalla looks over her shoulder and reaches back to the mirror and swipes until she finds the portal room- the lowest floor. Tapping quickly, she jumps in backwards, ready to swing the coffer around at Belhifet should he still be lurking.
Jun 20, 2019 5:31 pm
Cracks grow around the edge of the mirror, but its fading magic works just long enough for Alalla to slip through, but she feels the coffer torn from her grasp as its nature prevents it from passing through the magical doorway. An instant later the mirror shatters.

The great hall of the Temple of Tempus shudders as blocks of crystal rain down from above, and the ceiling groans as it starts to give way. Nym’s body - or rather its pieces - lie discarded on the floor nearby. Bits of his equipment are scattered around: his rapier, the black disc, and several wands.

Belhifet is nowhere to be seen, but across the hall, beyond the statue of Tempus and his steeds, the runed door... It is open, revealing a passageway that descends down into the ground.

Blocks of stone begin to fall from the ceiling, pushed down by the weight of the crystal above. Whatever Alalla does, it will have to be fast.
Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm
Alalla's heart drops at the sight of the open door, but she shoves the feeling away quickly. There's nothing to be done, now. She dives for the black disc, scooping up the rapier with her other hand at the same time, then darts for the nearest wall. Throwing the disc at the wall creates a large hole.

"Here goes nothing." Remembering just in time what Nym said about combining interdimensional spaces, Al slips her pack off of her back and jumps through the hole.
Jun 20, 2019 8:06 pm
Alalla dives through the hole just as the temple’s ceiling caves in, then passes through the wall to feel Icewind Dale’s crisp, spring wind - and nearly trips over the bloody tail of an enormous blue lizard, which seems to have fallen from the tower. Its limbs are crumpled and its skin torn.

The tower... Crystal blocks still rain down from above, smashing craters into the ground and nearby houses.

The behir twitches as a block lands near its face. It is somehow still alive, though it won’t be for long.
Jun 20, 2019 8:11 pm
Al glances at the hole on the wall but leaves it be, moving instead to the behir. "Nym just left you here, huh?" The image of Everard weeping in his cage flashes through her mind.

Shaking it off, she puts a hand on the behir's side and wills some healing and energy into the creature. "Quickly now, let's go." She hops onto the behir's back and summons her glaive, praying that it won't object to her tagging along this time.

Behir gains 5 hp through healing hands.
Last edited June 20, 2019 8:33 pm
Jun 20, 2019 9:14 pm
With Alalla seated somewhat securely on its back, the behir takes off like a bat out of Hells.
OOC:
Al’s back in Easthaven!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.