[Interest Check] Star Wars; Edge of the Empire

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 19, 2019 8:12 pm
Call me crazy for asking, but methinks a new game might be starting, and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing Edge of the Galaxy? I'm already in a few games, and running a few of my own, so I consider myself a bit nuts to even consider it. Bah, I'll at least gauge some interest.

Now, I'm not the biggest Star Wars buff, but do you really need to be in order to play the game? No. I'd think not. But, since the system is newer to me, instead of making my own little adventure from the start, I'll likely be using the intro game from the beginner's box since it's structured enough and seems a decent size that it could be done quickly enough on pbp...

For anyone who's a bit unfamiliar, I'll say this: the dice are interesting. Thankfully, I won't need to make a wacky table for their symbols, as GP seems to have a roller for said dice. When it comes to using them, it's very different than rolling a d20, d100, etc, etc. There are 6 symbols spread across the different die types. Triumph, success, and advantage are what you want to see over any dispair, failures, or threats. Now, a DM could say that in a normal DnD game, that even a fail could have some beneficial effect. That's how these symbols work. You could succeed on your task, but something bad may also happen; the opposite can also happen. However, the main point is that there is not always a clear cut success or failure. I'm allowing rolls in the thread so that we can play with them.

I'd love to see how many people are actually interested in playing and hearing any input that you all might have. Any newbie players are welcome to join the chaos, since I myself am a newbie to the system.
Last edited June 19, 2019 8:23 pm
Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Here'd be an example of a roll btw.

Rolls

Mechanics(Average)

2 Success, 4 Advantage, 2 Failure, 1 Threat

Total: 3 Advantage

Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm
This is a very popular system on the forums, they generally generate a lot of interest (for instance after I started my most recent game here using this system, I had a backup player list four ppl deep). I would expect yours to be little different.

It's a really fun system. A little clunky in PbP due to the back and forth that can be required in interpreting the dice, but if your players are good about immediately editing their post after rolling, to describe how they'd like to use their symbols, and if you're a laid back GM and try to just go with whatever they suggest unless it's really too much, it's very manageable.

Two of my longest running games that I've been a part of here on GP (one ~18 mos, the other a full 2 years) were played under this system. Just to illustrate it's doable.

All that said, I'm not particularly looking to play in another game ATM, but if you for some reason can't find enough players I'd be happy to join in to make it happen.
Last edited June 19, 2019 8:54 pm
Jun 19, 2019 9:45 pm
I’d be up for joining if you fire up a game. I’ve got quite a bit of experience with the system and setting and a couple of the SW games I was recently playing in have ended recently so I’m looking for another game to dive into
Jun 19, 2019 10:54 pm
I enjoy the Star Wars system and universe. I’d join if you need players.
Jun 19, 2019 11:23 pm
I have been looking at post being put up about this system, missed out on emsquared’s, so would be keen to play.
Jun 19, 2019 11:57 pm
I'm a pretty big fan of the system and have played several games, I wouldn't mind joining. I think the only real issue I have is one you mentioned: my understanding of the lore is horrible, to the point I decided to leave a game because I couldn't follow along.
Jun 20, 2019 1:58 am
I understand the old lore, but I haven't been diligent about keeping up with the newer stuff. I'm interested if a game fires up but I'm new to the system.
Jun 20, 2019 2:06 am
I don't know it but up for a silly, high-action space-fantasy game. And I'm more enthusiastic about playing with a GM who isn't a snob or pedant about SW! :)
Jun 20, 2019 11:54 am
I adore this system, and Edge Of the Empire is my favourite of FFG's three Star Wars flavours.

I would love to join.
Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm
Well then, that's a pretty good turn out so far! I will say now, since it seems I forgot to mention it, since I was introduced to the system via the Yogscast, I'm fairly influenced by their gameplay. That said: silly and and bit outrageous would be expected. I'll give it some thought, because I'm trying to find myself a new job and that'll be a fairly large distraction for the moment. Hopefully, if/when I start the beginner box game, it'll be the first game that I've to to actually have a proper end! XD
Jun 21, 2019 12:05 am
Yogscast?

After reading the rules silly and outrageous would be expected.
Jun 21, 2019 12:39 am
Aye, you need to get your job life in order before starting anymore games Legion, but know that I'd love to play if you think you can.
Jun 21, 2019 7:41 am
Hi LegionChimera7,

I would definitely be interested in playing if you have slots available. I am currently just getting a Star Wars game off the ground here as a GM, but I would love to actually play. I played in one game a long time ago and ran one live for my wife and kids. I love the system. It is one of my favorites. I can see it might present some unique challenges for PbP, but I can definitely roll with the unexpected. Let me know if you decide to run it.
Jun 21, 2019 12:14 pm
If there are slots available I would love to try this. I have never played it but I am pretty familiar with Star Wars. I am newer to this site too, having only been in one game so far.
Jun 21, 2019 9:28 pm
It looks like you have some good interest. I’ll take my name out in favor of someone who isn’t in a Star Wars game as a player.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.