Interest - Dungeon Crawl Classics

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pm
Hi, all!

I am interested in running a game of Dungeon Crawl Classics, if anyone is interested in playing!

For those who don’t know the game, that is totally cool (and maybe even better)! The basic idea is that it is a somewhat modern and simple rules system, that tries to capture the feel of old-school D&D. And a very specific flavor of old school- think "the type of thing that would be airbrushed on the side of a van." This is a game about people braving weird perils in search of treasure.

I do have a few requirements for the game -

* if you have read or played any DCC adventures already let me know so I can avoid running them.

* The big one - I am looking for players who can post at least once every other day, ideally every day. I would like to avoid seeing this game run into the usual issue where a tense scene starts and then a player is just gone for a week.

If you’re going on vacation or otherwise have something come up that means you can’t post, that is totally fine, it happens - just let me know and depending how long you’ll be away, we will figure out a plan. That is totally cool. But I am really trying to avoid starting the game with players who will just vanish for days/weeks.
Last edited June 24, 2019 12:52 pm
Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm
One other note on the game, which I think gives an idea of the tone. The first adventure will be what the makers of the game term a Funnel.

This means that in the first adventure, the players take the roll of a mob of villagers. Each player will get 4 randomly generated 0-level peasants as their starting characters. The expectation is that most of them will die in the first adventure- but whoever lives will level up and become a proper adventurer, ready to dungeon delve for greater treasures!
Jun 24, 2019 1:11 pm
MrApophenia says:
One other note on the game, which I think gives an idea of the tone. The first adventure will be what the makers of the game term a Funnel.

This means that in the first adventure, the players take the roll of a mob of villagers. Each player will get 4 randomly generated 0-level peasants as their starting characters. The expectation is that most of them will die in the first adventure- but whoever lives will level up and become a proper adventurer, ready to dungeon delve for greater treasures!
As someone who's run two funnels on here I want to warn you that they can be incredibly hard to run in a play-by-post environment. It's definitely doable, but it can be rough. That said, it usually doesn't take that long, so it's not a huge deal.
Jun 24, 2019 1:39 pm
That's an interesting take on the first adventure. I'd like to claim a spot.
Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm
Naatkinson says:

As someone who's run two funnels on here I want to warn you that they can be incredibly hard to run in a play-by-post environment. It's definitely doable, but it can be rough. That said, it usually doesn't take that long, so it's not a huge deal.
I suspected as much - I will say that's part of the reason I am being a bit more gung-ho than usual about posting frequency, as I think lagging down much more than that would probably make a funnel unplayable.
Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm
Squadfather44 says:
That's an interesting take on the first adventure. I'd like to claim a spot.
Great!
Jun 24, 2019 4:02 pm
DCC is a great blast from the past! I enjoyed the old school features, and even the attempt at nostalgic art. If you're running this I'll jump in!
Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm
Excellent! To both Squadfather and Bedzone, have you read/played any of the adventures already, so I know which ones to avoid?
Jun 24, 2019 7:03 pm
Hmm. Interesting, but probably not my cup of tea.
Last edited June 24, 2019 9:23 pm
Jun 24, 2019 7:07 pm
I've never played DCC. How complicated is the system?
Last edited June 24, 2019 7:07 pm
Jun 24, 2019 7:54 pm
The system is pretty straight forward. It's very similar to a simplified version of D20 D&D, with some weird wrinkles to add flavor (but which you can definitely learn as you go). At the start when you are playing peasants, there are almost no rules you really need to worry about - and then as you level up, abilities are introduced pretty gradually so you can learn as you go.

If you're up for it, 4 players would be enough to started, so we should be all set.
Jun 24, 2019 9:53 pm
I would be interested. Never played a funnel before so that should be a fun experience
Jun 25, 2019 1:50 am
Ok! Game created, invites will be sent momentarily!

With three players we can definitely run a game - ideally hoping to get a fourth, though.
Last edited June 25, 2019 1:55 am
Jun 25, 2019 5:24 am
I'd be interested if you're still looking for a fourth player
Jun 25, 2019 11:21 am
Done! (And that fills our roster.)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.