Converting EotE to SWFFG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 9, 2015 3:15 am
This has come up before, but as I move to converting Edge of the Empire to something more generic, I'm left with a few decisions. First and foremost is the name: Star Wars dN has come up in the past, to match how there is a Star Wars d6 and a Star Wars d20, but I'm leaning a bit to Star Wars FFG, as probably more appropriate.

If I do go with Star Wars FFG, I'm stuck with what logo to create. So I've mocked up a quick item, but could use some feedback on it. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

http://gamersplane.com/images/logos/starwarsffg.jpg
http://gamersplane.com/images/logos/starwarsffg_2.jpg
Nov 9, 2015 7:44 am
The first one is easier to read.

To reinforce your decision, RPG Geek lists the family as Star Wars (FFG)
Nov 9, 2015 2:43 pm
That's true, they use brown for their logos a lot, maybe I should go with that.
Nov 9, 2015 3:02 pm
You could always grab the logo RPG Geek used (although I like your custom one better, it's very clear about the two relevant factors : Star Wars by FFG)
Nov 9, 2015 6:20 pm
I do see FFG use brown for 'Star Wars' a lot -- both for EOTE and FAD products. It's white for AOR. Like Candi I find the upper one easier to read of the two.
Nov 9, 2015 8:19 pm
When I get home (on the road back to Jersey), I'll mock one in the EotE brown.
Nov 10, 2015 5:42 am
I actually still prefer the first one ("clear" letters).
Nov 10, 2015 5:47 am
I think if the background were to be white, the contrasting brown helps.
Nov 10, 2015 12:42 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
I actually still prefer the first one ("clear" letters).
I'll bare that in mind (specially because I liked it too, at first), though at the moment, I'm leaning against it, just because it lacks contrast against white that it'll be on most of the time.
CancerMan says:
I think if the background were to be white, the contrasting brown helps.
Yup, most of GP's backgrounds are whites or light greys.
Nov 10, 2015 7:24 pm
I like the brown. I guess you could try Star Wars Yellow -- but I find that yellow-on-white is atrociously hard to read. I suppose you could try Star Wars Yellow on the inside with a black border? Not sure that'd look good enough on white.
Last edited November 10, 2015 7:24 pm
Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm
The brown design is cool but I think I prefer the first one, although you all have a point about the use of white text on similarly pale backgrounds: it might get a bit hard on the eyes after a while...
Last edited November 10, 2015 8:05 pm
Nov 11, 2015 3:21 pm
Yes, I agree with several comments that the brown logo stands out more on a white background because it's a solid color. But I think that (how much the logo stands out) would only be an issue if the logo was small, or mixed in with a lot of other logos. I may be mistaken, but doesn't the logo for a game system show up in exactly one place on the site - the character sheet only? I've looked around as part of this discussion, and haven't found another place that logos appear. If that's the case, I think no one is going to be reading lots of text with these logos, or long lists of logos, and how much the logo stands out is not of particular concern. Any logo will stand out at the top of the character sheet.

Unless the amount the logos are used is expected to change as part of the redesign work you're doing, Keleth...

That's not intended as an argument against the brown logo; it's just a comment on the importance of relative legibility in the consideration of which logo to use.

All that said, I have another comment or two: looking at the existing logo for EotE, I think any of these designs (white, black, or brown) are a big improvement. The existing EotE logo is very compact and square, leaving a lot of unnecessary white space on either side of the character sheet; these broader designs are a marked improvement. Also, the existing EotE design is brown, so continuing the brown text with the new logo would add a visual consistency.
Nov 11, 2015 5:07 pm
Color palettes are by far my weakest design skill, so I welcome any color input. I wanna avoid the white font with a black border, and yellow can be hard to read. Maybe something closer to a clay color (red/brown) with a black border?

And right now, the logos can be found on: character sheets, the systems page, and user profiles. I intend on making them more prominent on other pages as well, as we move towards a more "gamified" site. It'll vary in size as well, which is why color and clarify are really important.
Nov 11, 2015 5:21 pm
Attempt 4:

http://gamersplane.com/images/logos/starwarsffg_4.jpg
Nov 12, 2015 5:57 pm
That does seem to match the FFG logo more than the borderless brown.
Nov 14, 2015 3:04 am
Easy to read and a reasonable color. Ship it!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.