Hillfolk and the DramaSystem

Nov 10, 2015 9:25 am
So, has anyone tried Hillfolk or any other game using the DramaSystem mechanics?

I'm not sure I've heard of it, or at least I didn't remember it when I was talking to a game store employee today about his game experience. It was a bit like the old joke about the computer with the IQ of 500; he led with "I play all the normal board games like Carcassonne" and I replied "OK, we'll talk about RPGs."

He told me about Hillfolk, which (if you're like me and don't remember hearing about this before) is a game with a focus on dramatic interaction, rather than action resolution (what the game condescendingly refers to as "procedural action"). The store guy likened it to George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (though he called it "Game of Thrones," probably in case I didn't know the series), in that most of the game is about people talking about, planning and reacting to larger events, rather than the events themselves.

I think that's pretty interesting, so I looked it up a bit more, and Hillfolk is a setting for the DramaSystem game. People have succinctly put it as "a crunchier Fiasco." As you know, I'm a fan of Fiasco, so I'm interested in this. Anyone tried it, and would care to share his/her impressions?

Incidentally, DramaSystem is available free online.
Nov 15, 2015 10:35 pm
I know that I have heard an actual play podcast of Hillfolk, but I can't remember what show it was and my searching has found nothing. I really liked what I heard. Unfortunately I've never had the chance to play either as the friends I have in meatspace prefer "traditional" games like D&D and Pathfinder. They won't play games like this and Fiasco.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.