Sending a NOTE to Multiple Users?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 28, 2019 6:08 pm
Hi GP

Is it possible to send a NOTE to multiple users, eg...

(note="Joe, Jim, John")Something for the three "J's" to see!(/note)

... kinda thing?

Thanks, Walts

PS: The NOTE is a great add-on for PbF games, brilliant idea!!!
Jun 28, 2019 6:11 pm
yes. i do it all the time. you do it exactly the way you just did it, enter usernames separated by commas
Jun 28, 2019 6:14 pm
Thanks for confirming that and
getting back so soon! :o]

EDiT: I'd give you a thumbs up, but there's no emojo's!?!?! :o[
Last edited June 28, 2019 6:16 pm
Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm
Well, 👍 you can get around the emoji problem 🙄 (google emoji and copy it for example)
But it’s easier from a mobile 😂

Just as a note, I think GMs always see the note, and to not need to me mentioned if there are other players ;)
So if you’re a player and want to send a note to another player, you don’t have to add the GM
Last edited June 28, 2019 6:40 pm
Jun 28, 2019 7:25 pm
With the "Thumbs Up" ref, I'd meant having a thumbs icon against your post, say beside the Quote under your post, so I could quickly give it a "Thumbs Up" to show I've read your post?

I've seen this used in many PbF sessions on the BGG forums, so that GM's know her posts have been read and she can move on with the game, instead of all the players having to write a new post? A very quick and easy system, and cuts down on much clutter! ... Walts
Last edited June 28, 2019 7:26 pm
Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm
I've thought about the same thing and I wish that was an option. That way the GM would know once all the players have read the latest post and don't have anything to add.
Jun 28, 2019 8:27 pm
that is a great option actually :) I didn't even think about that
Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm
i want to say its been mentioned to GP but a friendly reminder in the Feature Request Forum would probably be nice.
Jun 28, 2019 9:07 pm
Yah, I've thought about the logic to drive that functionality. I actually have all the data I need, just not sure how to implement it efficiently.
Jun 28, 2019 9:11 pm
Could it be something like the poll system, where each player can "vote" a thumbs up?
This way you’re tracking it once per thread (or game if you make it a special "game poll" for ready to go!) instead of once per post...
(Not sure if that is the efficiency issue you mentioned but does look efficient from my limited perspective :) )
Last edited June 28, 2019 9:12 pm
Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm
well adding it to the posts would be good for the read mechanic, The vote looks like it don't refresh per every (gm) post.
Jun 28, 2019 9:51 pm
Even just a feature where the GM could add a number of checkboxes to their post and then anyone can tick them would be enough, I think. With some GM / player discussion beforehand and trust that nobody is messing it up on purpose, that should work.
Five players and five checked boxes means you can move on.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how complicated to integrate anything really is.
Last edited June 28, 2019 9:52 pm
Jun 28, 2019 9:56 pm
That could potentially be easy if it is possible to integrate markup/down or html in the posts ;)
(I said never having seen the code 🤣)
Last edited June 28, 2019 9:58 pm
Jun 29, 2019 4:07 am
Well, i already track what posts people have read, so it'd just be about aggregating that data and displaying it. But how to do it efficiently is the question. That system is part of what brought the site to a crawl a while ago.
Jun 29, 2019 5:37 pm
Having done some programming in my time, including PHP, I know what a monster such a little thing can be. As users, we can think up simple things (like "Thumbing" a post!) without realising it's not so easy to implement.

Here's what you end up within the BGG forums ...

https://i.imgur.com/GwTP8qo.jpg
The greyed icon shows I've given a thumb, which is normally green: https://i.imgur.com/OxcAgDM.jpg

The curse of programming is that there's 100 ways to do things, and really, until you program them in, you really won't know the impact of the server, load speeds and usefulness!

A suggestion: Write their user iD (name) into the end of the post, that way it's just a small amount of txt? Design wise, you'd (most likely) need to create a new parameter within the post/read functions for "Thumbers", to show who's already given?

I'm guessing what you have is a table with 100's (thousands in years to come!) of user iD's and post iD's read? The above suggestion embeds a small amount of txt data into the posts, and when displayed extracts the end data (user iD's) quickly via coding, rather than importing a new table/data connection (which will get huge over time!) causing the forum to grind to a halt. As always, testing is where it's at ... do you have a test sandbox anywhere?

Walts

PS: Do you have a process for report spam/bad posts for the admin's attention? In BGG, the Red X Icon does this, sorta!
Last edited June 29, 2019 5:59 pm
Jul 1, 2019 1:38 pm
Morgoth says:
PS: Do you have a process for report spam/bad posts for the admin's attention? In BGG, the Red X Icon does this, sorta!
I appreciate all the coding feedback; most of the issues we're having, I have ideas for, just time is the big concern. The codebase is moving over to Python (Django) actually.

As for reporting posts, the current process is send me a PM or Discord message or email :/

You do not have permission to post in this thread.