Mid-Game Session Zero

load previous
Jul 21, 2019 7:45 am
I'm pretty happy with Yelnar's arc with his mother and his journey in general, moving from the naive thoughts of a sheltered, priveleged boy (despite what may think of himself otherwise) into the real world, and starting to find out what he stands for. If I could change one thing, I'd have probably gone with the same character concept but a different class or archetype where I get more skill points to work with so that I could contribute more out of combat.

I do find the pace of play difficult for nuanced storytelling in two ways - the slower pace of PBP does work well for it, but at the same time it can be difficult to slow burn things when they feel like they're taking sooo much time because of the time dilation between IRL time and in game time - like I don't think in game terms we're even a week in thus far but it feels far longer because fo the IRL time. Combine this with the offset of my timezone and sometimes I feel like I have to post something I would prefer to spread out in 2 or 3 posts into 1 because otherwise the story will have moved on by the time I catch up. I guess I could maybe tr nd start using some spoiler tags for some of that.
Last edited July 21, 2019 7:49 am
Jul 31, 2019 1:48 am
Next question:

What do you, as a player, want most out of this game going forward?

That could be content (I want to get embroiled in a continent-spanning political conflict with Garand Disos!), style (more combat! more dungeon crawls!), philosophy (more focus on story! fewer dice rolls!) or anything else.
Jul 31, 2019 3:01 am
I am happy with the combat/story mix.
I would like an overall arc. Such as starting as a thorn in the side of Garand Disos and progressing to eventually taking him on directly.
But like a tv show like...let's say Fringe or X-Files, I don't want it to be all big myth all the time. Smaller contained chapters that have nothing to do with G.D. mixed in would be a great mix for me.
Last edited July 31, 2019 3:01 am
Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am
I enjoy the pacing as well, so far, and the NPC's (in and out of character). My personal preference is for characters having a chance to grow, so the combat has been lovely. Some interesting opportunities to end conflicts with and without blades, so far. I like it.
Jul 31, 2019 4:16 am
I agree with the points Machiabelly brought up: keep a good arc going while having some side stuff.

The mix of combat/story/characters is pretty good to me, and I really like your non-linear (last one alive) approach to combat.

What I want most are specific events/locations which could directly affect a PC in some way, character development or some such which they personally are invested in.
Jul 31, 2019 5:10 am
One of the things that attracted me to this game was the richness and depth of the political lore you'd created. I'd enjoy it if we focused a little more on story, and maybe spend some time building more relationships among the PCs. It would be fun to get to know the other party members better.
Aug 4, 2019 12:10 am
Hey, sorry for my slow response on these. I missed a couple of questions in here somehow:

Regarding our current player count, I'm fine with the current setup. It's a bummer losing some of the others, but I think we have plenty to keep a good game going.

Question 2: Regarding your character: Describe one thing you're happy/satisfied with (in terms of development, build, story arc, etc.). Describe one thing you'd like to change or develop more, given the opportunity.

I'm having fun with Ephwrath overall. I haven't revealed much about his past, but I plan to as time and opportunities allow in RP. I feel like he's a little bipolar, switching between serious scholar and comic relief, but it actually fits the persona I've built out for him. I think that will all make more sense when more of his back story comes out.

Question 3: What do you, as a player, want most out of this game going forward?

I'm really happy with the balance so far. I'm probably mainly looking forward to having access to more skills/spells so I can feel more useful, but that's a minor issue. I think you’ve created a very interesting world and I'm excited to continue exploring it!
Aug 4, 2019 5:08 am
I want to add something to kind of build of something Augustash said. One thing I like is that it doesn't look like everyone tried to build the best character at the cost of RP. It looks like people made a lot of choices for story development, instead of just building the killer by the numbers character. I think that is why things have been interesting.
Aug 4, 2019 8:27 am
I’m pretty happy with the game going where it flows. Yelnar has already gone way different from my expectations with more to come.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.