Mid-Game Session Zero

Jul 2, 2019 8:10 pm
Hi everyone: growing out of our discussion regarding the future of the game, I'd like to ask everyone a few questions about the game and their character so that we can think about where we're headed from here. I'll ask questions one at a time, let everyone who wants to chime in do so, and then go to the next question.

I will answer each question as well, though I'll wait until everyone's had a chance to weigh in before I do so.

So without further ado...

Question 1: Has the game so far met your expectations for content? Style? Activity level? Give some examples, if you can.
Jul 2, 2019 8:31 pm
This was my first Pathfinder game. I had no real expectations regarding the game mechanics, which I realize you didn't ask, but thought I would mention it any way.
Content and style: I had read along for awhile before I joined, so I had a pretty good grasp of the tone and basic content. I am enjoying it. I think there is a mix of lighter content, like pony shenanigans, with higher stakes moments, like Yelmom.
Activity level: I would say this is the most active game I am in, especially when you factor in Discord discourse.
Pathfinder vs. Other systems: I can see both sides of the discussion we had about game systems. I enjoy the group and I don't think my enjoyment level would change significantly no matter the system. That being said, Wil has a particular set of skills and I hope that a change to a less crunchy system won't make him a more generic character. I know RP makes the character, but having a solid bedrock helps.

That is a roundabout way of saying...me likey now, me likey later.
Jul 2, 2019 8:47 pm
Question 1: Has the game so far met your expectations for content?

Yes. I love that every time we turn around, there's another corner of the world unfolding. It's well-structured, but the related NPC's don't sound like Exposition Bots. Like Renaya in the tunnels. We weren't being lectured lore, just presented it through her eyes.

Style? Yes! We aren't murder hobos. I think the Master was our first legitimate combat with a sentient humanoid, and it was nice to see everyone trying to figure things out in a meaningful way.

Activity level? Good for me!

System: I grew up on 3.5, so this feels familiar to me. I'm concerned about magic in the new system, if it has clear guidelines. Left to my own devices, Ember would get messy. But, I like the other three categories and the group enough that I'm willing to try. Thanks!
Jul 2, 2019 9:47 pm
Expectations: Yes I'd definitely say it has. There is an excellent presence of freedom in how we approach the situations coupled with an organic feeling of discovery. The style of the world is also very fun.

Activity Level: This is by far the fastest game I'm in, it can get overwhelming at times. Thankfully everyone's been patient in this regard, and you 78RPM have also ensured no one is getting left when they can contribute.

System: Well I pretty much already talked about this. I will say I agree with Machiabelly in that a lighter system might take away some of the nuances of our characters. I'm still on board with whatever we decide.
Jul 2, 2019 10:30 pm
Content: I think the game has certainly met my expectations as to content. From your original set-up post, I expected a game with a great deal of lore and political and historical background material, as well as the potential for a lot of intrigue, and that's definitely been delivered.

Style: Until very recently, I've found this to be a bit of a roller coaster. Important plot details - such as information given during our "calls" with Alisa - were getting buried beneath side RP of interactions and conflicts between PCs that were comparatively silly. I think that's probably not going to continue, but I thought it was worth mentioning that this felt, to me, like a distraction from what this game really has to offer.

Activity level: I love a fast game, so this game's pace has generally been right in my sweet spot.

That actually sounded a lot dirtier than I thought it would.
Jul 2, 2019 10:44 pm
Content and Style: Overall, it has vastly exceeded my expectations. Not just the setting you’ve created, but the amazing people you've assembled. I feel fortunate to have found you guys.

Activity is more than expected, in that the original description said one post per day, but that’s a good thing. My only concern is that I’m pretty limited during the week when many of you are most active, and I’m much more available on weekends, when many of you quiet down. Sometimes I feel guilty because I feel like I’m holding you guys up during the week.

System: I joined this game specifically for Pathfinder. I’m pretty much dedicated to playing and learning Pathfinder and Starfinder right now and don’t want to break out of that. Sorry, but a system change would likely be a deal-breaker for me. I’m cool with lightening the rule set with some house rules, but I like the crunchiness and I think it can and should add to the story if and when we use it right. Our most recent fight is a good example of that.
Jul 3, 2019 12:48 pm
This is a tricky question for me to answer as being fairly inexperienced with pbp, I had nothing to calibrate any expectations.

I’m enjoying the game. I vacillate between finding the game too busy and not busy enough. I tend to wake up to a whole bunch of stuff, then be hanging out for more posts while most of you all are sleeping. Edit: that sounded far more negatron than intended - read with bemused irony.

I too joined largely because I’d been looking for Pathfinder games. I think I was one of last characters to join in Meriava, so I looked at a whole bunch of casterly types and had the concept for Yelnar hit me between the eyes - a mix of mechanical build and backstory that to me are very intertwined. I didn’t necessarily expect him to have a big emotional arc so early, but then that’s one of the beautiful things about rpgs, it always ends up different than you expect, mostly for the better.

That said I have purchased the Numenera humble bundle deal in the last 6 months and not used it yet, so the cypher system has some appeal for me, though I’m not yet sure if Yelnar’s style of build is mechanically possible in that system. I intend to quiz one of our locals knowledgeable about the game about that at our dnd game on Friday night.
Last edited July 3, 2019 12:49 pm
Jul 8, 2019 4:29 pm
I hadn’t really intended to discuss system just yet, more how people were feeling about the game in general.

With Viani gone, and now Krav leaving (and Froak having disappeared without warning), we’re down to six players. Do we want to recruit another player or two, or are we good with 6?
Jul 8, 2019 4:46 pm
I honestly feel six is plenty, with too many people it becomes a bit difficult for me to follow along depending on the situation.
Jul 8, 2019 4:55 pm
I agree that six is probably plenty. I've often felt we had too many PCs to keep track of. I'm a little concerned about party balance, though. Do we have enough of everything we need?
Last edited July 8, 2019 4:56 pm
Jul 8, 2019 5:01 pm
Two fighters (Wil and Yelnar), one cleric (Ephwrath), one rogue (Verrian), one magus-maybe-witch (Elora), one sorcerer (Ember). I'd say that's not bad, really. Wil and Yelnar are different fighter types. Without a druid or ranger, you lack the wilderness skills that might be useful as you travel around, but that's not a deal-breaker.
Jul 8, 2019 5:07 pm
Thanks for running that down for me. I guess we're in good shape, other than having no wilderness skills.
Jul 8, 2019 7:03 pm
Yeah I think we are fine. I have no wilderness skills either. Lots of parties don't.
Jul 8, 2019 8:53 pm
There is a small possibility that a dear old friend who is a fabulous RPer might want to join us, but otherwise, we'll keep it at the current composition.

My answer to the question:

Content and Style: I had some broad overarching themes that I wanted to explore in the game. We haven't gotten to those much yet, but we've hit others that surprised me: the gun control allegory, for example. I've been pretty happy with how people have approached the game, the level of commitment (one ghosting frog-man aside), and the level of creativity. Personally, I'm a little less happy with my own level of preparation and focus lately, and I'm working on improving that. I'd like to do a lot more with background lore and grounding the game in the world more securely.

Who were the Mage Kings? What did the war actually look like? What did it look like just before the war, or when the integration of magic into daily life was at its height? Just as a few examples of things I'd like to provide as background.

Activity Level: I prefer a fast pace. I understand that sometimes it moves a little too fast for some people, and in those circumstances, I promise I try to slow things down a little bit to provide opportunities for everyone. I do think that the posting frequency has gone down a little bit, and it seems to be working better for everyone? That's my sense, anyway.

Question 2: Regarding your character: Describe one thing you're happy/satisfied with (in terms of development, build, story arc, etc.). Describe one thing you'd like to change or develop more, given the opportunity.
Jul 8, 2019 8:59 pm
Any friend of yours can kill imaginary things with me.

I am happy with Wil. I see him as a swashbuckler, without playing that archetype. I feel I have had lots of opportunity to RP him as I want.

I wish he did a little more damage...but I chose the build, so that is on me. Oh...and I want my pony back eventually. Or the magic changed him into a dog who can adventure with me. LOL
Jul 8, 2019 9:09 pm
Honestly, I think it’s more entertaining not to have everything covered. Gives you something to work around.
Jul 8, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm very happy being the bookish, quiet, and intelligent gal, it's quite fun to RP.

I need to develop personal motivation more, right now the whole "help world by fighting monsters" could really use some expansion or further motivating, as I'd argue man is the biggest monster of them all (or at least The Crows).
Jul 20, 2019 10:27 pm
Just to remind everyone, we're still working through the answer to question 2 above. Moving forward, I'd like to have a good solid idea of what people would like to develop in their characters, now that we have some RP under our belts, so that I can be sure to provide opportunities to do that.
Jul 20, 2019 10:52 pm
Wil, and I, are both very much roll with what comes along.

He set out adventuring to make the world a little better place. Defeat evil, help those who can't help themselves and, if possible, have the odd pint, the odd laugh, and make some friends.

If he lives long enough to retire he would like to have enough money set aside to keep the pantry stocked and enough stories to keep any grandkids entertained.

He wants to make a difference and feels like he has started off on the right foot.
Jul 21, 2019 12:20 am
I've enjoyed the moral quandaries that the current state of magic have caused, and I appreciate that people are patient with the headspace spoilers :) I also appreciate that, while maddening, Ember's spells are quantified. It'd be a blast to mess with them, but having a solid space to start is nice.

As far as things to work on go, it's mostly emotional pacing on my part, and I think this setting will give me space to practice that.

In regards to Ember's goals, she wants to learn about the world and magic, master it, and make a positive name for herself (so.....no lose her mind.) She hasn't really put much thought into what she'd do in old age, let alone how to handle this odd new "family unit" she finds herself in.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.