Suggestion: My Games Latest Posts

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 15, 2015 6:40 pm
I figure it might be convenient to have a "latest unread posts" in a list of games, for both players and GMs that have multiple games going. Kinda like a personal version of the "Latest Posts" in the general forum, which is nice, but I have to sift through a bunch of other games and threads to see the ones I participate in.
Nov 16, 2015 11:36 pm
So maybe a toggle on the Forums list (in addition to the "Show Public games" toggle) which would show only the forums with threads that you haven't viewed since the most recent post, effectively only showing forums that are shown now with the Red die icon?

Or, if not another toggle, how would you get to that view?
Nov 16, 2015 11:42 pm
Something like that, I suppose. I really didn't consider usability when I thought about this. It just made me think, "I wish there were a better way to see which of my games have updates" without subscribing to each one and needing to check email. Generally I keep a tab open with the Latest Posts page and refresh from time to time, but I always have to mentally discard those games I'm not participating in.
Nov 16, 2015 11:53 pm
Eh? Use the Show Public Games toggle on the Forums page; that shows you only games you play or run. That should help the sorting.

Edit: If you set the toggle to "off," that is.

To be totally explicit:
1) Click "Forums" in the top nav
2) Scroll down to the section with a tab Entitled "Game Forums." Just above that is a little "switch" or toggle that says "Show Public Games." Click this to toggle the switch.
3) Now, if you reload this page, it should show you just games you play or run. This also extends to the top page of the site, with "Latest Posts."
Last edited November 17, 2015 12:01 am
Nov 16, 2015 11:57 pm
Well. That's pretty darn convenient. I hadn't noticed that toggle until now.

Thanks for the help!
Nov 17, 2015 12:03 am
You're welcome. I keep thinking that a user-written User Guide would be helpful for the site, but I'm too busy running/playing games to add that to my workload.
Nov 17, 2015 4:39 am
I like the idea of a toggle on latest posts (http://gamersplane.com/forums/search/?search=latestPosts) that allows you to do only your games. Much like the forum list it could be a setting stored either in the account record or the site cookie so you wouldn't have to re-set it each time you used latestPosts.
Nov 17, 2015 5:02 am
It does do only your games, if you have the toggle set on the Forums list, and that selection persists across logout/login to your account.

But the only way to tell that there is a new post is to see whether the die is red or not (and assuming you've viewed all the threads in each of your games before then), or to remember who posted the last time you looked at it. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to have a sort that showed only the updated games (particularly for any color-blind users).
Nov 17, 2015 5:13 am
I'm planning on also having latest posts in a game on the new game details page.
Nov 17, 2015 7:17 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
It does do only your games, if you have the toggle set on the Forums list, and that selection persists across logout/login to your account.

But the only way to tell that there is a new post is to see whether the die is red or not (and assuming you've viewed all the threads in each of your games before then), or to remember who posted the last time you looked at it. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to have a sort that showed only the updated games (particularly for any color-blind users).
Ah -- so it does. I've noticed the die goes red intermittently on at least one of my forums -- so I find the latest post mechanic to be more helpful, because the thread indicators are always correct wherein the forum indicators are only mostly correct.
Jan 15, 2016 4:41 pm
spaceseeker19 says:

Would this be so the games would sort by the latest post? I would like to look at some games but some of them are just dead. I would think the list would be updated so the games with the newest post would be at the top. Maybe?
Jan 15, 2016 4:47 pm
If you toggle to only show your games, you can bookmark this link http://gamersplane.com/forums/search/?search=latestPosts and it will show you the most-recent posts. You do have to be logged in, of course.
Last edited January 15, 2016 4:47 pm
Jan 15, 2016 4:59 pm
Kjmagle says:
Would this be so the games would sort by the latest post? I would like to look at some games but some of them are just dead. I would think the list would be updated so the games with the newest post would be at the top. Maybe?
To make sure I understand, you'd want the forums to sort by latest post? That's actually a bit tough to do in the current setup, though makes sense for the environment. I built a system based on other, popular forums, and modified it to fit PbP. It's a balance I find hard to keep: keeping this site like a forum to maintain the social aspect I believe is really important, and making the PbP side smoother.

You can see latest posts via the link at the top of the forums, or via a link on the home page under latest posts. We may have to have a larger discussion on the social vs PbP balance.
Jan 15, 2016 5:26 pm
I have an open page of the lastest post that i refresh like every 10 mins (rpg junkie). I really don't look at other ganes because of how its sorted however I understand your side of it.

Just a suggestion.
Jan 15, 2016 5:30 pm
I always like suggestions. Do you have your public games hidden? That way you'd only see the games you're in.
Jan 15, 2016 5:31 pm
Try looking into the toggle of http://gamersplane.com/forums/ "Show public games:" so that it is red. Then click on "Latest Posts" at the top. It will show you all games you are participating in, ordered by most-recent. It works well-enough for me to keep abreast of everything I'm involved in.
Jan 15, 2016 5:33 pm
Keleth says:
I always like suggestions. Do you have your public games hidden? That way you'd only see the games you're in.
Yeah i have them hidden. some time on a down time I will unhide them to sneek a peek of what others are doing. I guess i just think if a games last post was 2014 it shouldn't be toward the top.
Last edited January 15, 2016 5:33 pm
Jan 15, 2016 5:37 pm
Ah, so you mean games you're in that haven't had a post recently. If it's that long, is there a reason you haven't left the game?
Jan 15, 2016 5:45 pm
No i mean i like to look at "others" games. So I unhide the games and go looking at them. I think I am thinking to up of the order.
Jan 15, 2016 6:25 pm
Oh, so when you show games, you want to show your games first, then other public games?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.