Curiousity and Interest Check: Mage The Ascension

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 8, 2019 8:26 pm
Does anyone know how to run a Mage game? I have taken a recent interest in the game but have little to no experience with it, and would prefer to try my hand as a player to it if possible, I have seen other white wolf games on here but wasn't sure if anyone has experience with this one or the interest in it?
Jul 8, 2019 8:33 pm
We played Mage: the Awakening here recently, but we tried to set it in early renaissance Russia and then lost ourselves, so the game collapsed.

I've run Mage: the Ascension in real life (albeit 18 years ago). I'd consider running it, but we'd need to be clear on expectations, and in particular have it not be a sandbox style game. Perhaps something like running a pre-genersted scenario and go from there?
Jul 8, 2019 8:39 pm
Hey doo
You have free room I would like to join
Jul 8, 2019 8:39 pm
Hey doo
You have free room I would like to join
Jul 8, 2019 9:17 pm
Quote:
We played Mage: the Awakening here recently, but we tried to set it in early renaissance Russia and then lost ourselves, so the game collapsed.
I was in said game and would certainly be interested to play another Mage game.

#Marauders4life
Last edited July 8, 2019 9:17 pm
Jul 9, 2019 4:44 am
King_Moloch says:
Quote:
I was in said game and would certainly be interested to play another Mage game.
I second that
Jul 9, 2019 5:08 am
Ran Ascension years ago, enjoyed it a lot. Never got round to Awakening because it's like a completely different game in theme and focus to be honest.
Last edited July 9, 2019 5:09 am
Jul 9, 2019 7:40 am
I am about to join/start (i hope) a Mage Ascension (20th edition) game on twitter
https://twitter.com/magethepodcast/status/1142872205644226561
That is going to be interesting to try out that media for play-by-post/tweet

There is a huge difference between Ascension and Awakening and I don't have an opinion on which is better
Jul 9, 2019 3:56 pm
I am very new to the setting (barely wrapped my head around the concept of magic in the system), but I would love to take a crack at it.
Jul 9, 2019 4:14 pm
Well that sounds like 3+. I'd be interested in running or playing in such a game, too.

What would we like to see in the game? Adventure, political drama, fighting the Technocracy (bad guys), battling forces from beyond the pale?
Jul 9, 2019 4:23 pm
A lot of my inspiration from it comes from the HellBlazer comics I don't know if that helps? Dealing with supernatural threats, deals with the devils, and making a buck.
Last edited July 9, 2019 4:24 pm
Jul 9, 2019 4:41 pm
Qralloq says:
Well that sounds like 3+. I'd be interested in running or playing in such a game, too.

What would we like to see in the game? Adventure, political drama, fighting the Technocracy (bad guys), battling forces from beyond the pale?
I would like to somehow address the theme "I have the power to change reality, why should/shouldn't I do it?"
Other what else I would like to see in a game
Adventure ++
political drama --
fighting the Technocracy +
forces from beyond the pale -
Jul 9, 2019 7:50 pm
I’m personally down for anything, but I’d like some politics and fighting the Technocracy. Exploring the Umbra could also be fun.

I’m actually considering making a more modern version of my Cossack character from the Awakening game.
Jul 10, 2019 3:22 am
What kind of setting would you like? Modern day America's? How about Las Vegas?
Jul 10, 2019 4:42 am
Qralloq says:
What kind of setting would you like? Modern day America's? How about Las Vegas?
Modern day, Las Vegas sounds fun. We will be using Ascension M20 rules?

EDIT: 90% of my Las Vegas knowledge comes from CSI (I have seen them all) but that is a hell of a lot more than my knowledge of 1500 Russia ;)
Last edited July 10, 2019 9:05 am
Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm
I haven't played Mage for over a decade and I would love to try it, room for one more?

Less interested in political intrigue, but I'm down for adventure, fighting the Technocracy, and dark forces. I actually live in Las Vegas, but I may not know as much as runekyndig watching all of that CSI ;)
Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm
Oh wow, our cabal name should be a play on the "Rat Pack," like Wiz Pack or Mag Pack. Someone more clever than me should come up with something.
Last edited July 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm
Alright, seems like we have a cabal. I'll set it up and invite:
JackJack, King_Moloch, runekyndig, and virtualbasement.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.