Genesys Fantasy/Investigation Game LFP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm
Howdy, folks! I'm starting up a Genesys game titled Traces of the Mad. It's set in the Runebound fantasy world from the book Realms of Terrinoth. The game will be a mix of investigation (à la Call of Cthulhu), social interaction (using Genesys's social "combat" rules), and traditional hack-and-slash fun. The Horror Tone will be in effect.

I've got three players signed up, but we could use two more. We're still in Session 0, creating the party. So far we've got a caster (type to be determined), a fighter type, and a sneaky rogue. That leaves room for lots of options, including another caster, a ranged combatant, an outdoorsy type, a buffer, etc.

Expected posting frequency is 5 posts per week. If you're up for a game that asks you to solve mysteries and fight bad guys, come join us!
Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm
would like to play but don't know anything about the system
Jul 11, 2019 2:41 pm
that could be interesting... I never really did Genesys though...
Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm
steef99 says:
I'd be happy to help you create a character and walk you through things, but it is different from a lot of other systems. It might help you get a taste for things if you could see or hear gameplay in progress. Would you be willing to watch a bit of liveplay on YouTube or listen to a couple of episodes of a podcast?

The Star Wars system from FFG is essentially the same as Genesys, so here's an example of new players learning the game: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game played by the cast of Star Wars Rebels

Let me know if that sounds like something you'd be into. I'll hold a spot for you for a day or so. Hope it still seems intriguing!
Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm
SavageBob says:
steef99 says:
I'd be happy to help you create a character and walk you through things, but it is different from a lot of other systems. It might help you get a taste for things if you could see or hear gameplay in progress. Would you be willing to watch a bit of liveplay on YouTube or listen to a couple of episodes of a podcast?

The Star Wars system from FFG is essentially the same as Genesys, so here's an example of new players learning the game: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game played by the cast of Star Wars Rebels

Let me know if that sounds like something you'd be into. I'll hold a spot for you for a day or so. Hope it still seems intriguing!
Well im into it one of my friends shown me this video but i didn't know what game is it
Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm
CESN says:
that could be interesting... I never really did Genesys though...
I'll extend the same offer as I did to steef above. Check out that video (it's a good time, but no need to watch all their sessions unless you really just want to). Get a feel for how the system plays, and let me know if you'd be willing to commit to a game like that. :)
Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm
SavageBob says:
2h may be a lot, but I'll have a look and get back to you. If you wan to accept me to the so I can easily find the game/post while you're holding the spot, I can always leave/be kicked out later ;)
Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm
I'd like to insist that you both watch the video or listen to a podcast episode or two. (Even if you remember watching that video before, it'll be good to get a refreshed memory). You might try the Dice for Brains podcast instead if it's easier.

Pay particular attention to the way Advantages, Threats, Triumphs, and Despairs are handled. You can listen or watch at 1.5x or 2x speed if you need to, but it will save us a lot of time in the long run of trying to explain everything via text.
Last edited July 11, 2019 3:17 pm
Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm
well ok i will watch them but not now
Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am
had a look at the video and it seems ok. GP seems to summary the roll results as well, which is great :D
They didn't show the actually character sheets, so I'm not completely sure where the dice number came from, but that should be easy once there is character.
Jul 12, 2019 12:02 pm
CESN says:
had a look at the video and it seems ok. GP seems to summary the roll results as well, which is great :D
They didn't show the actually character sheets, so I'm not completely sure where the dice number came from, but that should be easy once there is character.
just saw 3 videos about how to play it and kinda understand the system
Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm
OK, thanks for taking the time to check out the liveplay. It puts us over my desired player limit, but I'll take both of you to be fair. We'll work through character generation together in the game forums. The other players are all old hands to Star Wars and Genesys, so hopefully they can help, too.

That means we're full! I'll revisit this thread later if we end up losing a player and need to recruit a replacement.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.