Which weird indie game do you wish somebody would

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am
I wanted to run something but flicking through my folders of indie PDFs I couldn't decide. So I thought I'd post it for discussion! I know that small press games can be hard to find a GM or players for so post here if there's a game you've always wished somebody would run and we'll see what shakes out!
Jul 17, 2019 9:01 am
I have heard great things about mouse guard (at least enough to be curious about it). Not sure if that classifies as a weird indie ;) (also... I don't think it is free... :s )
Last edited July 17, 2019 9:02 am
Jul 17, 2019 9:51 am
How about Tales Of the Floating Vagabond?
Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am
The Forest Hymn and Picnic! Technically, it hasn't been released yet but there's enough free preview stuff floating around on the kickstarter that one could conceivably run a game :P
Last edited July 17, 2019 10:58 am
Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG.
Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm
CESN says:
I have heard great things about mouse guard (at least enough to be curious about it). Not sure if that classifies as a weird indie ;) (also... I don't think it is free... :s )
I am in a Mouse Guard game on another site. I think it's a little weird playing a mouse but it's certainly loads of fun. I bought the starter set and they aren't giving it away, that's for sure.

I'd like to see someone run Trudvang here. Not sure it would be classified as weird but it is different.
Jul 17, 2019 1:50 pm
I enjoyed the Maid RPG session on here... the last Mouse Guard game on here was awesome, I terrorist a black crow and kept stealing his tail feathers in the fight. "Saying now I too can fly" might have helped in the terrorizing.
Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm
Mathfuric says:
The Palladium one? Or is there a new TMNT game?
Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm
CESN says:
Simkin ran a Mouse Guard game here at GP, not long ago.

It is a great evocative setting, and a good narrative focused system. I wish I had the bandwidth to run another game right now, cuz I'd love to give ppl the opportunity to see it all at work. But just can't ATM...
Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm
virtualbasement says:
Mathfuric says:
I used to run this back in the day of play by mail games. Great system.
Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm
On my bucket list of games to play is Legacy: Life Beyond the Ruins 2e. Discovered it late last year, when the kickstarter wrapped up, when my wife discovered her cousin wrote one of the supplements for it. Thankfully, I managed to find out enough info before my wife sent him a message asking "if it was murderhobo friendly".

Suffice to say, I have a copy of the PDF and would very much like to try it out, but since I've never played anythign PbtA, I don't want to run it.
Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am
PbtA for most settings is fiction first. They're also usually rules light. Curious about the murderhobo part though, in Urban Shadow you mark enough corruption from your actions and you're handing over your character to the Story Teller for a new villain to introduce into the story while you roll up a new character while you watch your old PC try and kill the rest of the party and your new PC.
Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm
Shotguns n' Saddles, Devil's Crossroad, Swords and Six-Siders, or Vagabonds of Dyfed.
Jul 18, 2019 2:53 pm
emsquared says:
I wish I had the bandwidth to run another game right now, cuz I'd love to give ppl the opportunity to see it all at work.
well, I'll be waiting for the day then :D
Jul 18, 2019 3:52 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
virtualbasement says:
Mathfuric says:
I used to run this back in the day of play by mail games. Great system.
The system itself I was always iffy on, but I LOVED all the mutation options. I would love to see the same types of options in a better system. My GM had the book with time travel and I once made a mutant human who was a floating telepathic baby.
Jul 18, 2019 5:57 pm
Remnant says:
PbtA for most settings is fiction first. They're also usually rules light. Curious about the murderhobo part though, in Urban Shadow you mark enough corruption from your actions and you're handing over your character to the Story Teller for a new villain to introduce into the story while you roll up a new character while you watch your old PC try and kill the rest of the party and your new PC.
Oh I know enough about PbtA stuff to know that my wife's murderhobo playstyle would not be fun in those systems. Which is 90% of the reason why I've never ran anything PbtA. And since I don't have experience with them, I'm not about to run it here.

Seriously, if I ever write memoires about my TTRPG experiences, it would be titled "My Wife is a Murderhobo".

Back on topic - also on my 'wish somebody would run it' is Lancer, which is an awesome mech system that is fairly rules-lite outside of the mechs, but just crunchy enough when mechs are kicking butt.
Jul 20, 2019 8:24 am
Well, it looks like I am going to have to buy Legacy and Mouse Guard.

As interested as I am, I am not going down the rabbit hole of TMNTAOS, even if you do play as mutant rabbits.... Might look into a system though where we can take mutated animals and have cool adventures. Monsterhearts?

Speaking of Legacy, is PbtA a thing that is often run around here? I have seen a handful of Dungeon World games on the list, are any of the other ones run regularly?
Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm
KettleandClock says:
Well, it looks like I am going to have to buy Legacy and Mouse Guard.

As interested as I am, I am not going down the rabbit hole of TMNTAOS, even if you do play as mutant rabbits.... Might look into a system though where we can take mutated animals and have cool adventures. Monsterhearts?

Speaking of Legacy, is PbtA a thing that is often run around here? I have seen a handful of Dungeon World games on the list, are any of the other ones run regularly?
FYI: Monsterhearts is a very strange game PbtA about sexuality, gender identity, and teen romance drama. While using monsters to tell that kind of story. Conceptually, I find it really neat, but it's not my kinda thing to play.

For a mutant game that's more rules light, there's a fist full out there that I'm somewhat aware of, such as Mutant Year Zero and maybe Gamma World? Dunno if that last one can be considered rules-lite (I'm prone to crunchy systems myself, but hey, gotta see what's out there!)

Anyhow, from a general skim of things, I don't think there's a lot of demand for PbtA systems around here. I'm sure there's some demand for it, but it's hard to tell from my standpoint as a newbie around here (still getting the hang of navigating the site).
Jul 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Yamazaki says:
Oh I know enough about PbtA stuff to know that my wife's murderhobo playstyle would not be fun in those systems. Which is 90% of the reason why I've never ran anything PbtA. And since I don't have experience with them, I'm not about to run it here.
I'd say that's about true for 90-ish % of the PbtA games. For example, Vagabonds of Dyfed which I proposed in my post is an attempt to marry OSR with PtbA style game, so in that particular game (and any potential other PbtA systems trying to emulate OSR), you could easily accommodate for murder-hobo style of play.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.