Chapter 2 - The Suburbs

Nov 18, 2015 2:22 am
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wbkr.com/files/2013/10/Haunted-House-Credit-iStock-95704619-630x419.jpg

After about 10 minutes of driving you manage to weave through lesser known back-streets and find yourself entering the suburban sprawl that lies outside of the city. With this route it should only be about 15-20 minutes until you are at Kel's house. So far you've seen lots of people packing up cars and trying to get out of dodge. So far the emergency radio signal has just been constantly advising people stay indoors and lock the doors, but most people would rather move as far away from a disaster area as they could.

The streets are so far clear, although in a few places you have had to hop a curb to go around an abandoned car in the road. So far you haven't seen any more of those horrible creatures, certainly a blessing. As you turn another corner, however, you are confronted with an obstacle of a different nature. A tree has fallen across much of the road and an abandoned car covers the rest of the space. Even hopping a curb isn't going to be very easy. As you turn the corner a few other cars that had been also trying to weave their way through the neighborhood filled in behind you. There is another car in front of you, seeming to now be in the same predicament. The only other way out of the neighborhood would bring you right to the highway, an option you have already judged would get you even more stuck.

The first man in the car is our new player, feel free to RP yourself in. As of now, with all the cars piled behind you it's going to be nearly impossible to just turn these cars around. Also since the new character is a stranger with no relation to our crew, feel free to RP what you have been doing since this event hit, and animals, and now it appears humans have started raising from the dead and attacking people.
Nov 18, 2015 1:53 pm
Throughout the trip, Kel has been brainstorming with John on where they could go once they get everyone's loved ones together. The two have discussed everything from heading to the hills 'up north' or even hijacking a yacht.

When they turn the corner and see the tree..."Maybe we can get to one side of the tree and push it with a car?" Kel says to John.
Nov 19, 2015 3:44 am
Peter nearly slammed his head against the wheel in exasperation. More traffic?! The last thing he needed. A ton of cars pulled in behind him. The one directly behind him was crammed with four men. Now that way was closed off. He didn't want to think about what had just happened, but he did. In the grocery store. Meteor crashes into the street outside, then another crushes the freezer section. Peter had run out of the store as fast as he could, dropping his gorceries. Hopping into his car, he had shot for his apartment. More meteors had nearly killed him many times, but he had made it to his house, thrown some necessities in the trunk and beat it. He had hoped to make it to the suburbs, pick up his girlfriend, Eva, and hit the road out of here. But now he was stuck in traffic before and behind. He had seen a slowly walking character trudging along the highway as he shot out of town; scenes from randomly watched zombie flicks scrolled through his head. He tightened his grip on the hatchet he had grabbed, and slams the horn.
Last edited November 19, 2015 2:20 pm
Nov 19, 2015 4:27 am
John looks to Kel, I don't know. Maybe that or we could try and move the car there on the end, he says as he gestures to the car blocking the area above the tree top. Either way it's probably going to be less work than getting everyone else to go another way, as he says this he puts his pistol in his belt holster and exits the car, trying to size up the whole tree situation. He walks up a few feet then notices the guy who was ahead of them in the line up. Maybe he has something to help.

John walks up to the passenger side of the car and raps his fingers on the glass. His voice comes into the car kind of muffled but he says, Hey, buddy. Could you help us try and move this tree... Or car... Or... Whichever?
Nov 19, 2015 1:34 pm
Kel jumps out of the car and stays close to John. He tries to look confident but friendly towards the driver of the car ahead of them. With all that's been going on, he's starting to lose faith in humanity: Seeing how everyone has behaved when the shit hits the fan. At least the zombies are honest...and predictable. He doesn't bring out his weapon, as things look a little more safe here in the 'burbs, but he eyes the scene carefully while John's attention is on the driver.

Log [3]

Rolls

[+]1d6, 1d6 After what we've been through?` - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d6 : (1) = 1

[-] 1d6 - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Nov 19, 2015 2:22 pm
Peter looks to see a policeman knocking on his window. What'd I do now... "Hey Buddy," the man says, looking friendly, "Could you help us try and move this tree... or car... or whichever? "If it'll get me outta here, then sure!" Peter says, opening the door to his car. He sticks the hatchet in his belt.
Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm
Jacob will get out and take a look inside the car that is blocking the way. "This one, John?" he asks as peers through the car's window. "Maybe someone was in a hurry and left their keys inside. If not maybe we can at least stick it in neutral and push the damned thing out of the way."

Is the car unlocked? Keys?
Nov 20, 2015 12:43 am
Which character had the "drives a manual transmission" ability? I forget..."

Howard stops Andrew's car, watches what the others are doing, and then applies the brake and shuts off the engine when it becomes clear that they're not going to be able to continue right away. One look at the tree and he wishes they'd got a chain saw from somewhere. Since they don't have one, it seems like Jacob's got the right idea. He heads over to the abandoned car, still very wary of what might jump out at them...particularly animals. He's got his one hand on the holster of his gun, and the other holding the police baton. If the brake is on, maybe I can smash the window... he thinks.
Nov 20, 2015 4:23 am
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Dextolen
[Handing a note to Kel]

As you all approach the tree and car two things becomes apparent, the tree itself is not going to be moved. It's far too large, and without a chainsaw or something there is no way you could clear a path. The second thing is that the car that is sitting at the end of it is idling. It's on. All the doors are closed, windows are up, but it is running. You don't see a driver in it, but you would have to get closer to completely inspect the car. From the distance you are at you can however see the passenger side door is half-way down. If you climbed to the other side of the car you could probably get into the car that way.

As it stands the tree and car take up this whole street and the yards to the houses on either side. As you have reached the suburbs the street the rest of the way down is lined with houses, many seem dark and abandoned at this point, maybe houses of those that have fled.

GM. I think Andrew was the one that drove stick. Hope your character has been picking it up. :)
Nov 20, 2015 2:28 pm
Kel studies the felled tree, in particular the car near its base that must have caused it to come down. His eyes widen and he calmly pulls out his pistol and is looking around for undead. "John....the car that hit the tree....the driver is gone...lots of blood."
Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm
As Kel says this you hear the shrill shriek of a woman screaming. It seems to be coming from the house on the trunk side of the road.

GM. If we think of this road going east-west, the tree was on the south side of the road, it fell across the road and near the top of it (north side) is where the idling car is blocking the rest of the way. The car Kel gestures to is near the base of the tree on the south side of the road. The south side is also the house where you heard the scream come from.

I need a quicker way to map this stuff. :)
Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm
Kel looks at John and the stranger with the axe. "I think I know what she's screaming about. C'mon..." Kel says as he rushes towards the house.
Nov 20, 2015 3:34 pm
Howard looks at the idling car, extremely uneasy about the situation. He watches Kel run off toward the screaming and figures he'll come back or call out for help if there's something awful. Howard considers the passenger window being open. I am definitely NOT climbing in there without knowing that it's empty... He exchanges an anxious look with Jacob.

Hand still on the butt of his pistol, he taps the driver's side window with the police baton. If something's in there, it should react to sound, right? Please let nothing be in there...
Last edited November 20, 2015 3:36 pm
Nov 20, 2015 6:06 pm
"What the hell is he doing!?" Jacob wonders as he sees Kel running off to the house. Moving into position Jacob aims his pistol at the driver's window as Howard starts rapping it with the police baton.
Nov 21, 2015 12:30 am
Kel moves up onto the front porch of the house and looks in a window, gun ready.
Nov 21, 2015 2:25 am
Peter watches as the group of men inspect the car. Suddenly, a woman's scream pierces the air, and one of the men runs off toward the house. He pulls the hatchet from his belt, gripping it tightly for assurance. He glances towards the other two men, then sprints after the man running toward the house. He also pulls the pepper spray from his pocket - though for some reason he has a hunch it won't be very effective against whatever is in the house.
Nov 21, 2015 4:27 am
-- At the Idling Car --

Jacob turns to see Kel and John head off towards the source of the noise. The new man who was coming to help them figure out this tree situation headed off with them, a hatchet in his hand. He looks back to Howard, gets in line behind him, and levels his gun towards the window. Howard raps the window with his police baton. As the baton connects with the glass a flurry of black erupts from the car out of the passenger window. In just a single instant it sounds as though an unholy beast from some far and dark dimension has come screaming into this world.

That second passes and the initial panic subsides. It was a large crow that had gotten into the car, scared out by the noise. Nothing else comes out of the car, but leaning in you see a person, slumped over and lying, presumably dead, across their seats. You see no external wounds immediately, and the corpse doesn't respond to the sound or movement at all.

-- At the House --

Kel is the first to arrive at the house as the the scream dulls and then begins a new, full of just as much vigor as the first screech. Kel runs up onto the porch on the front of the house and peeks into the front window.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Dextolen
[Handing a note to Kel]

As he reaches the porch and glances in the window a disheartening change is heard in the tone of the scream right before it stops. It's almost as if the person is trying to scream while drinking a glass of water. It comes out somehow sounding bubbly, and wet.

John and Peter are almost up to the porch now.

GM. Looks like we have another split scenario here. I kind of like these.

Kel is going to have to make a Will save here. 1 white dice and 1 black dice. You can feel free to add white dice if you think you have a feature that will let you handle what you have just seen.
Nov 22, 2015 2:43 am
"We are too late!" Kel mutters

WILL 3 (edit to add will)
Last edited November 22, 2015 2:44 am

Rolls

[+]1d6 - (1d6)

(4) = 4

[-] 1d6 - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Nov 23, 2015 4:46 am
Kel feels the impact of what he has just seen, but he also still remains aware that there is not much that can be done about it now.
Nov 23, 2015 2:16 pm
Peter hears the ominous screams, then watches the man's face change as he looks through the window. "We are too late," the man mutters. Peter winces and goes to look himself.
Nov 23, 2015 4:29 pm
Kel steps back off the porch. "You dno't want to look" he says not standing in the stranger's way. While growing more distrustful of people, Kel still knows the true enemy are the walking dead. Perhaps this guy he can help save.
Nov 23, 2015 4:57 pm
Howard glances at Jacob and the man with the hatchet (Peter), and says "Whew....that was scary, huh?" he tries to chuckle. Then he goes to open the door. "There's someone in here, either asleep or had a heart attack. I'm going to try the door..."

(OoC: I took it that Peter was coming up closer to the car to look in...?)
Last edited November 23, 2015 4:57 pm
Nov 24, 2015 3:10 pm
OOC: Actually, Howard, I'm with Kel at the house.
Nov 24, 2015 3:17 pm
"You hope they're either asleep or had a heart attack" Jacob says to Howard as he continues to cover the door with his pistol.
Nov 25, 2015 4:42 am
-- At the Car --

As Howard taps the window suddenly the corpse starts to stir. It rasps out a long low moan as it turns it's head towards Howard. The sockets where eyes had been are empty, tried blood is stained on the cheeks like tears. That bird must have done a number on it. It paws restlessly at the window between Howard and it.

-- At The House --

PhantomNimbus sent a note to CouchLord0510
Kel, lost in his thoughts steps aside. Peter glances in the window after him.

GM. Peter as well will need to roll one white and one black dice. As with Kel there is no true failure to the test, just to see if you take mental stress from the situation. It's a Willpower test. (Let me know if you need help on rolling tests.)
Nov 25, 2015 4:51 am
"Holy Hell!!" Jacob yells as he jumps back a few steps startled by the sight. "You think it can get out of there?"
Last edited November 25, 2015 4:51 am
Nov 25, 2015 9:11 am
Howard takes a couple of steps back, too, and takes a moment to catch his breath again.

"No...at least not right away. But we've got to move the car before more of them come."

He draws his gun, then hesitates. "Noise attracts them, right? Maybe there's another way..."

Howard looks in the car, trying to glance around the horrific zombie to see if the parking brake is on and/or the car is in gear.

(OoC: Is the eyeless zombie's car obstructed by the fallen tree at all, or could it move forward?)
Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm
OOC: Yeah, GM, I'm not sure what I need to roll... help, someone?
Nov 28, 2015 1:34 am
The sight will be seared into Peter's memory for ever...

Rolls

Positive Willpower - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Negative Willpower - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Dec 1, 2015 1:10 am
Kel tries to motion Pete away "C'mon. There's nothing we can do. Let's get the fuck outta here"
Dec 1, 2015 4:52 pm
"We should try to kill them," Peter whispered back. "If we don't, they will kill more people. We should stop them now, and maybe we kind find some useful stuff in the house."
Dec 2, 2015 3:04 am
"Have you fought one yet? They don't go down easy...this..." Kel says pointing to his bandaged wound "was from a dead dog. We have guns but only so many bullets."

He starts walking back to the others. "We are grabbing up our families and getting the heck away from civilization. You are welcome to join us, you seem like a decent guy and it's only a matter of time before the... not decent guys...start to show up."
Dec 2, 2015 9:43 pm
Peter stand indecisively. He doesn't think its right to leave that... beast be, but his rational side tells him attacking the creature alone is sure to be suicide. If he can just get to Eva's house... they just need to leave. He tears himself away from the house and reluctantly follows the other man.
Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm
-- At the Car --

Looking in past the zombie it seems the car is still in Park so moving it isn't going to be an easy task. The zombie doesn't seem to have the strength on it's own to break through the car window, it simply keeps pawing helplessly at it. It can't seem to exactly "see" you either as it sort of grasps around blindly in the car.

-- At The House --

As you leave the scene the memory will hang on you, but you manage to hold back the stress of the situation and keep a level head. As you are walking away from the house you see the "person" sitting inside the car by Howard and Jacob. They seem to be trying to figure out what to do about the corpse inside the car.
Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm
At the car

Howard looks nervously at the zombie clawing at the window and then at Jacob. "We need to get out of here, and this car is in the way. The parking brake is on, and I don't want to risk damage to Andrew's car by pushing this car out of the way with it. Hear that, Andrew? I'm taking good care of your car! So, Jacob, you try to keep its attention here, and I'm going to go around and open a door on the other side, then we can kill it...again...as it turns around and comes out."

Having said this, Howard does it. He taps on the window again to attract its attention, then backs away from the car, far enough away that he thinks the zombie is likely focused on Jacob now, and then circles around. If the zombie is still distracted on one side of the car, he'll run up and try the door on the opposite side. If it sees him before he can open the door, he'll open a back door, so that the moment that it takes the zombie to climb into the back seat will give him enough time to take hold of his paper cutter blade, ready to strike.
Dec 29, 2015 5:28 pm
When Howard taps on the window the zombie turns towards it and tries to bite at it instinctively, but only succeeds in smashing its face against the window. It keeps snapping towards Jacob, but doesn't really actually seem to see him, just knows something made noise in that direction.

When you get around to the other side it is still snapping at the window, but when you open the door wide it swings around and tries to crawl and claw its way towards the sound. Howard is able to get a bit of room so when the zombie gets to the end of the seat it flips out of the car and lands on the ground. It just gropes around trying to find something to bite.

GM: We could use this to start structured time, you guys clearly have the initiative over the zombie team. Howard would probably be first to act, but feel free to act whenever. Just as a recap for CouchLord0510, structured time is the way we do initiative in this game. I just pick a "side" of the conflict that seems would narratively have the initiative. That "team" gets to go first, in whatever order. Once each person has had a turn then the other "team" goes and they all take their turns. It switches back and forth until the combat is over.

In a turn you can do a major action which usually involves a dice roll, a minor action or movement like ducking behind something or steadying yourself to gain an extra positive dice for a ranged attack, and you can generally do small incidental things like say stuff. A combat "turn" roughly equates to 6-8 seconds or so.
Dec 29, 2015 11:37 pm
"C'mon, they're gonna need help!" Kel says to the stranger as he moves back to the car.
Jan 7, 2016 3:37 pm
(OoC: sorry everyone, somehow I spaced out on this game and forgot that it was my move!)

Howard has been prepared with the paper cutter; when the zombie flops out onto the ground, he quips: "I guess people really don't like hitchhikers anymore!" and then brings the blade down on its head, hard.

(My read of the result is: 2 successes, for a total of 5 damage - 2 successes +3 for the bladed weapon - and 1 negative die remaining means 1 stress...physical, I imagine?)
Last edited January 7, 2016 3:40 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (+1 weapon, +1 aim, +1 quip) vs 3 DEX - (4d6)

(3661) = 16

Negative dice - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jan 25, 2016 4:20 pm
As the paper cutter is brought down this already weakened zombie takes a solid hit to the skull and slumps to the ground dead....again.
OOC:
Yes, that was 1 stress and 5 damage to the zombie.
The car reeks of death and decay, but you can manage to get to the shifter and put the car into neutral. With a group effort you can probably push the car out of the way.
OOC:
Since this will be a group check, one person will be put up as the person to roll the test. They will get the standard 1 positive dice and 1 negative dice. Then an additional positive dice for every person that is helping them. So whoever wants to roll it will get 5 positive dice and 1 negative dice.
Jan 25, 2016 4:48 pm
Kel lends a hand pushing the car.
Jan 25, 2016 8:40 pm
Howard helps push the car, after he swallows down his gorge.
Jan 25, 2016 10:31 pm
When everyone appears to be ready Jacob will start the count.

"On three everyone. One... Two... Two and a half... Three!"
OOC:
I'll take the roll. I assume I'm checking VIT on this one?
OOC:
Been a while, but I think I just borked the check (with a VIT 2)
Last edited January 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (2) = 2

Negative Die - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jan 26, 2016 3:20 am
OOC:
Actually with a Vit 2 you succeeded with one success. You also had your negative dice cancelled out so you take no stress. With everyone pushing the task is easy enough.
With a small effort everyone is able to pitch in and move the car out of the way. You can now hop the curb in your own vehicles and pass around the fallen tree in the road.

After the car has been moved you hear the shatter of glass from the direction of the house The other two had gone to inspect. You see one form slumped on the porch outside the front window to the house. A second blood covered female is at the window and follows the same path as the first. She flips ass over tea kettle and lands on the porch as well. The first one is shakily trying to get to its feet.
Jan 26, 2016 3:30 am
"Time to go, now!"
Feb 2, 2016 5:12 pm
Howard rejoins Annette in Andrew's car - "Everybody buckled?" he calls to the invisible Andrew in the back seat - and then starts the engine. He'll drive up the curb and around the tree to continue following Kel, looking back to see if Jacob and Peter are following.
Feb 2, 2016 5:32 pm
As everyone piles back into the cars and takes off around the tree the zombies have risen and are shambling towards the cars. One glances off Andrew's car and leaves a red blood splotch on the hood.

As you are able to continue up the road you see far more chaos on this side of the tree. A few houses are engulfed in flames and there are cars coated in copious amounts of blood. Trails of blood streak away from the vehicles and often lead to what you can only assume at one point was a human being, the bloody mess that is left behind isn't very telling.

A few blocks over you see a man run out of a house, and a zombie shambles just behind him, looking back he doesn't even see the one in front of him as it wraps it's arms around him and bites down on his face. His screams trail off to a slight moan before going silent.

As it turns out Kel's home, that you are going to, is just down the street from Peter's destination. As you turn onto that block there is an eerie silence. Few lights are on in the area and from the outside Kel's house looks dark and dormant. Up the street Peter's girlfriends house has some of the internal lights on.

Distant screams, and intermittent gunfire, have become a droning background noise in these suburbs.
Feb 3, 2016 12:47 pm
Kel checks his phone and if it is working he texts his wife. "WE ARE HERE. GET THE KIDS READY. WE ARE LOADING THE JEEP AND GETTING OUT OF TOWN"

He doesn't wait for a response, getting out the pistol he looks at the others in the car "OK, we have a Jeep that seats 5 and gear or 7 and nothing. If one of you can come with me, we can load what food we have in the pantry while the others guard."

As they approach the house, Kel girds himself for what he could be facing...
Feb 3, 2016 2:37 pm
Kel approaches the house with whoever will follow and help him get his family. He gave a brief description of the layout of his house so everyone knew where to find things, and where to be careful. The general layout is like this:

http://www.homeplannercatalog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/afloor1hpc.jpg

As you move up into the entry area, getting ready to enter the house, the lights are all out upstairs. You don't immediately hear or see anything out of the ordinary.
OOC:
Who wants to help Kel currently? Is everyone moving up to help? John will at least be following close behind with a gun drawn.

Also, in the house layout, just imagine that "Stairs Up" actually says "Stairs Down". The jeep is more than likely in the garage.
Feb 3, 2016 2:44 pm
Kel moves carefully up to the front door, peering into the living room window as he moves, gun drawn. He fishes the key out of his pocket as he goes.
Feb 3, 2016 2:45 pm
Peering in through the windows everything looks calm and quiet. All the lights are out, but things look to be in order and undisturbed.
Feb 3, 2016 3:33 pm
Kel looks back at John. "OK, they're in the basement. I have two small dogs. I don't know what we are going to do with them. They aren't usually barky but who knows with all this shit going on?" Kel opens the lock and enters the house.
Feb 3, 2016 10:46 pm
Jacob will get out of his car and take a look around. "I'll watch things out here while you get everyone out. If you need something just give me a yell."
Feb 4, 2016 10:33 am
Howard looks anxiously at Annette, then at Kel going toward the house alone, then at Jacob, who has proved to be so reliable in the last few hours. "Baby, darling, we've got to get Kel's family and his stuff loaded so we can get out of here! I'm going to go help him. I'm leaving this here - " Howard puts the gun down on the seat as he gets out of the car, "but don't use it unless you absolutely have to. Jacob is here, and he'll holler if there's anything wrong. I'll come running with this." Howard grabs up the paper cutter blade again, then kisses Annette deeply and steps out of the car. He shuts the door firmly but quietly as he can, then jogs to catch up to Kel at the front door.
Feb 4, 2016 6:46 pm
John, Howard, and Kel enter the dark house. Trying the light switch doesn't seem to do anything. The power seems out in the house here. The living room is all in order and the house is incredibly quiet. You can still hear the distant chaos of the other areas of the suburbs.

Jacob stands watch out front for anything unusual, but so far this entire street seems dark and desolate, except for the other house down the street where you still see lights on.

Annette gives Howard a long hug and takes the pistol, My father was actually a cop for 40 years, I can at least shoot this thing, she says as she drops the clip out of the pistol and checks the ammo. Just be safe, please.
Feb 4, 2016 7:18 pm
Kel makes his way to the basement stairs. He's hesitant to call out lest a zombie be nearby. Thoughts race through his head. What if rats came up through a drain? What if the dogs barked too much?
Feb 5, 2016 2:23 pm
As Kel reaches the stairs there seems to be no lights on downstairs either, but you hear something moving around down there. You can't tell what just yet.
Feb 5, 2016 3:01 pm
Howard does NOT like that the lights are off here; how will they see what to load into the Jeep?
OOC:
How well can we see in here? Can Howard see if the door to the bathroom is open? Or does he need to go back and get the cop flashlights from Andrew's car? Does John have a flashlight?
Feb 5, 2016 3:07 pm
Kel calls down the stairs "Lisa, it's me. Kelly" praying that she answers.
Feb 5, 2016 10:31 pm
"At least one of us knows how to use these things properly" Jacob says to Annette as she expertly checks over her weapon. "We'll just keep our eyes open out here while they do their thing. First sign of any real trouble we'll let them know and get the hell out of here! Sound good?"
Last edited February 5, 2016 10:32 pm
Feb 5, 2016 10:34 pm
As long as we don't leave without Howard, she responds, keeping an eye out on either end of the street.
Feb 5, 2016 10:38 pm
"We'll all get out of here together" Jacob says, more to reassure himself than Annette.
Feb 5, 2016 10:38 pm
As Kel calls out there is a moment of silence and John puts his hand on Kel's shoulder, Maybe they got out al...

Suddenly you hear a woman's voice call up from downstairs, Kelly, is that you!? Watch out, something is down here. It came in through one of the windows. The voice sounds slightly muffled, like it's coming through a door somewhere in the basement.

Kelly. Be careful, she calls, It's been clawed at the door for hours.

You hear a shuffled movement downstairs and then what sounds like something scraping against a piece of wood and you hear Lisa shriek at the noise.
Feb 6, 2016 12:16 am
Kel kept a flashlight in a kitchen drawer for when they lose power. He runs over to the kitchen and opens the drawer...Lisa may have taken it already...
Feb 6, 2016 12:39 am
Kel opens the kitchen drawer and...

...no flashlight.

Rolls

Luck - (1d100)

(24) = 24

Feb 6, 2016 3:32 am
'Shit....John, do you have a flashlight?" Kel asks, also trying to remember if they nabbed one from the store downtown.
Feb 6, 2016 3:47 am
John fishes around his belt and finds his large maglight and tosses it to Kel. Should I take point, or you? Howard, are you ready, we need to clear something out down here. He readies his pistol as you get ready to descend the stairs to the basement.
Feb 6, 2016 3:54 am
"I'll take point. You on the light and your gun, like cops do? Down here is my wife, two kids and two little dogs. Whatever the fuck came through the window...I don't know. Let's go" Kel readies the pistol.
Feb 6, 2016 4:05 am
-- Inside --

As Kel rounds the bottom of the stairs into his open basement, followed closely by John and Howard, he sees bulky dark shape in the darkened basement, it's scratching at a closed door on the other side of the basement. The thing looks about the size of an exercise ball, but is covered in thick course brown fur. When the light lands on it it turns, and you see the decaying face of what looks to be a brown bear cub. It's hard to determine age, but it certainly isn't fully grown.

-- Outside --

As Jacob and Annette scan up and down the street they see a form round the block corner. It's coming around the side of the house next door to Kel's. After another second or two three more of the shambling ghouls follow the first. They don't seem to have seen you yet.

We will enter structured time, your group has the drop on the undead side, so you all can go first.

Targets

Bear Cub
Ghoul 1
Ghoul 2
Ghoul 3
Ghoul 4
Feb 6, 2016 5:34 pm
]Kel shouts to his family "Get down and away from the door!" and fires at the bear

Rolls

[+] 2 dice (1 die + pistol) - (1d6, 1d6)

[-] 2 dice (1 die + stress) - (1d6, 1d6)

Feb 6, 2016 8:19 pm
OOC:
How close are Jacob and Annette to the house? I'm thinking we make a break for the house and get with the others.
Feb 7, 2016 1:48 am
OOC:
I imagine Jacob and Annette posted up near the curb outside the front of the house. Since this is the suburbs there is a good 10-15 feet of yard out front leading to the house. So about that far from the front door.
-- Inside --
Kel's shot sinks into the thick matted fur of the bear cub and it turns from its clawing at the door to face the new people in the house.

-- Outside --
As you see the group moving along the end of the street they seem like they would keep walking past you, until you hear a gunshot ring out from inside the house. The zombies stop and turn towards the noise. All of them change direction, you also see another three ghouls rounding the corner just after this group.
Feb 8, 2016 7:05 am
"Hey, Boo-Boo; you gotta get outta here, because I'm the park ranger!" On "ranger," Howard chops down at the beast with his paper cutter.
OOC:
My read is that Howard did 4 damage with the paper cutter, no stress.
Last edited February 8, 2016 7:07 am

Rolls

Positive dice (default, 2 weapon, 1 witty) - (4d6)

(5216) = 14

Negative (base + fighting by John's flashlight) - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Feb 8, 2016 9:40 pm
OOC:
Yes, Howard did 4 damage and had no stress at the end. Although the bear absorbs 1 for being undead, so it takes 3 damage from the hit.
Howard runs up and sinks his paper cutter deep into one of the arms of the panda cub, it doesn't make a noise, but the crunch of bone is heard and that leg dangles almost entirely separated from the creature. It hobbles around regardless of it's disabled limb.

John runs up after Kel and fires at the bear as well. He steadies his aim, trying to get an angle on it to not be firing at the door on the other side of it. He steadies himself and fires, the shot goes straight through the bear cub's head and the creature slumps to the ground instantly.
OOC:
John has doubles on non-cancelled dice, which instantly destroys the brain of the creature and it dies instantly.

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, weapon, aiming, weapons trained) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (default, trying not to hit engaged friendly, stressful situation) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

Feb 8, 2016 9:51 pm
Annette, hearing gunshots from inside and seeing the small zombie horde turn towards the house shouts, Howard!

She moves towards the house and fires a shot off at the lead zombie she wings the leg of the lead zombie as she gets winded running across the yard towards the house.

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, gun) - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (4) = 4

Negative Dice (default, panicked) - (1d6, 1d6)

Feb 9, 2016 10:54 pm
"Good idea!" Jacob thinks as he sees Annette head for the door. "Let's get in and pile some shit behind the door!!" he yells as he fires off a shot...

[DEX 3]

Rolls

Positive [Gun, Default] - (1d6, 1d6)

Negative [Moving to the door, Default] - (1d6, 1d6)

Feb 12, 2016 12:57 am
As Jacob follows Annette he catches one of the zombies in the foot, sending it spinning and falling over. It continues its persuit in a crawl.

-- Zombie Turn --

All of the outdoor zombies shamble towards the front door. They only make it a quarter of the way across the yard, but another cluster is filing in behind them. The count has to be over 20 or so.

Inside the bear cub swipes his paw at Howard.

Dex 3
OOC:
Howard takes 3 total physical stress. The bonus one is because of the Bears natural claws. They add two dice to hit, and one bonus damage.

Rolls

Positive (default, claws, claws) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative Dice (default, slow) - (1d6, 1d6)

Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm
Kel fires at the bear again, his resolve strengthened as he knows it is between him and his family.

Rolls

[+] 3 Dice: One die + pistol + family - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

[-] 2 Dice: One die + stress - (1d6, 1d6)

Feb 12, 2016 3:33 pm
With that shot the bear cub slumps limp to the ground.

With a commotion you hear people shouting, it's definitely Annette shouting for Howard, you hear two gunshots ring out just outside.
OOC:
Im assuming the characters can outrun the zombies so we can leave structured time for now. You are free to move about the game. Also couch lord is absent so I'm going to say his character is following Jacob and Annette.
Feb 12, 2016 3:45 pm
Kel rushes to the door, trying to open it "Hon, it's safe!" he calls to the other side. Knowing that crap is going down outside, he wants to move fast to reunite with his family and start packing supplies into the jeep.
Feb 12, 2016 3:52 pm
The door bursts open and your wife and kids are inside unharmed. They rush to you and cling to your side. One of the kids is half-crying and saying, "Daddy, I knew you would save us, I knew it!"

You hear the front door upstairs open, some shuffling of feet entering the house, then the door slams closed again. Annette calls down, "Howard! There are a ton of them out there, we need to block the door. Jacob, grab something to block this door!"

Kel, your wife looks at you, tears still in her eyes, "What is going on Kel, before we lost power the news was saying all sorts of crazy things."
Feb 12, 2016 6:28 pm
Kel hugs his wife quickly and then says "Zombies. For real. Animals and people. We're getting out of here and out to the countryside. Just picking up some people and supplies. We gotta get stuff loaded in the Jeep fast and get out of here before more come. Noise attracts them."

He then rushes over to the workbench and gets a crowbar for his wife and a hammer for his daughter. "Gavin, get your football pads and helmet on and get your baseball bat. We may have to fight, but getting away is the best option. No matter who you see out there, the neighbor, their dogs, whatever. If they look hurt and are acting strange, they're out to kill you. They're not themselves anymore."

"Lisa grab a couple of suitcases and fill them with food, supplies, anything you can think of. Get the sleeping bags, camping stuff, lantern. Sarah, you help." He then looks at Howard and John and points upstairs. He grabs some wood planks
Feb 13, 2016 1:33 am
Jacob starts to look about the front room for some piece of furniture he can move in front of the door way. "May want to block of some of these windows as well, Annette, just to be safe. Let's get Howard up here to help."
Feb 21, 2016 6:29 pm
Howard races upstairs as best he can and attempts to bar and block the door with the rest of them. "Annette, honey, are you OK? Jacob, are you OK?"

With all thought of stealth gone from his head, he's also looking around with his flashlight to see where the bear cub entered the house. They'll have to block that access, too...
OOC:
Waiting to hear back from you as to whether there were two bear cubs in the basement (the second one attacking Howard), or just the one that Howard hurt and John killed...how injured Howard is may effect his mobility further.
Last edited February 21, 2016 6:30 pm
Feb 23, 2016 2:34 pm
After issuing orders to his family. Kel runs up to assist in barricading the front but his main goal is load up the jeep and get out of here.
Feb 24, 2016 4:34 pm
Working in different departments as they did, Howard probably hasn't met Kel's family before this. As he moves from room to room, looking for broken windows/doors or other ways that the bear cub entered the house, he introduces himself. "Hi, I'm Howard! Do you know where that thing came into the house?"
Feb 25, 2016 12:27 am
"Hi..my wife said it came through a window. Must be one in the back.."
Feb 26, 2016 4:13 am
-- Upstairs --
After the door is shut Jacob, Annette, and Howard work to move a coffee table, bookshelf, and entertainment center in front of the door. After you start working you can hear the shuffling feet thumping on the wood entry. Peeking out one of the windows you see there has to be at least 10-15. You can't quite tell if more are coming, but this already seems overwhelming.

One stumbles walking up the steps and hits the entry with a thud, slowly being trampled and crushed by those falling in behind. The begin to scrape at the door and sides of the house.

-- Downstairs --
Kel and his family start gathering what they can and helping to barricade. His son sticks close to Kel, his daughter works with her mother to get stuff out into the jeep. Inspecting downstairs you see that the bear must have fallen into one of the window egresses and crashed through the window at the bottom. The smashed window could either be a quick escape to the back yard, or the possible entrance of any passing zombie.

What does everyone do?
Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm
Howard thinks Kel has a wonderful house, but he does not like the number of windows. "What else do we need to load?"
Feb 26, 2016 10:55 pm
Suddenly realizing that most houses have more than just one door Jacob blurts out "Is there a back door?" He'll run towards the back of the house and when he finds the back door will start piling furniture in front of that one as well.

"So... wait them out or make a run for it?" he yells over to Howard and Annette.
Feb 26, 2016 11:28 pm
"I hope Peter's having better luck than we are..." Howard mutters under his breath. Then, in response to Jacob: "If Kel thinks we can drive out of here, then I'm all for it. I don't want to fight any of these, let alone dozens of them!"
Feb 27, 2016 1:26 am
Kel says to his wife "Just load up on food and the camping supplies..first aid...." He looks at the rest. "OK, we are going to make a break for it out the back. We can get in the jeep blow out of here, honk the horn down the block and get them away from the front of the house, then you get get to the other cars. "
Mar 2, 2016 8:33 am
Howard exchanges a look with Jacob, realizing that there's a lot of IF in that plan. He looks at Annette and takes her hand, squeezing it. "Kel, do you think you have room in the Jeep for Annette? I think we're probably going to end up hacking through zombies to get to the cars, and I'd feel better about it if Annette was with you." He turns to forestall her objection. "Baby, I can take better care of myself if I can just focus on cutting through these things. We'll switch back to Andrew's car as soon as we get out of this neighborhood away from the mob." Howard pauses, half expecting Andrew to appear again...
Mar 2, 2016 1:40 pm
"Yes, there is room." Kel replies as he helps push the couch against the living room window.
Mar 7, 2016 9:38 am
Howard hugs Annette goodbye and then turns to let her go.

...then he turns back and kisses her swiftly, not wanting her to go even though he knows it's best. Still feeling self-conscious about being public with their relationship after keeping it secret for so long, Howard holds her face in his hands and looks deep into her eyes for a moment. "I love you!" he whispers fiercely, and then lets her go. "They're ready to go; you'd better go with them. I'll see you soon, baby."

With that, Howard smiles and waves goodbye, waiting a moment to see if she objects or delays. After that, he turns to rejoin Jacob at the door, still whispering to try to stir up the zombies as little as possible. "Ready? What have you got for a 'quiet' weapon?"
OOC:
In going through the house earlier with the flashlight, did we see a fireplace? If so, was there a poker or a hatchet that Jacob could use? I'm worried that he might have only a gun, which we should use only as a last resort...
Mar 7, 2016 11:22 pm
With a shrug Jacob simply points to his gun to answer Howard's question.

"So what's the plan? Kel going to get out of here with his jeep and cause some sort of distraction so that we can follow?" Jacob pauses for a moment as he hears the plan out loud, from his own mouth, and then rolls his eyes. "Balls! So, where we meeting after we get separated?"
Mar 8, 2016 5:19 pm
"On the main street just outside of the subdivision... then we can decide where to next." Kel says as he goes to assist the loading of the jeep.
Mar 8, 2016 11:04 pm
"Not what I meant, Dex." Jacob says as he moves closer to try and keep things a bit quiet. "Chances are shit is happening all over the place, you may not be able to wait just outside the subdivision. Where's the final meet up?" Jacob pauses for a few seconds before adding, "You know, in case we need one."
Mar 9, 2016 3:52 am
"Don't we need to stop by one more person's house for family?" Kel says loading foodstuffs into the Jeep "Then, I have no clue where to go. North, I guess. Into the wilderness???"
Mar 9, 2016 3:56 am
As Jacob puts an emphasis on his last statement you hear the scraping that has been culminating at the front door cause a portion of the door to splinter. A gash about a foot in length has been clawed and torn out of the front door. Grabbing clawing hands start to reach inside searching. The barricade continues to hold, but you aren't sure for how much longer. Another glance out the front window shows the mass of zombies has only grown, the noise of them attracting more.

Kel's daughter comes in from the garage and runs up to Kel, "We are all loaded up. As much as we can fit, dad."
Mar 9, 2016 4:19 am
"Let's get the fuck outta here, now!" Kel says
Mar 9, 2016 6:17 am
"Honk the horn as you're driving away, Kel, IF they don't come running when the garage door opens...Good luck! See you soon!" As they run to the Jeep, Howard turns to Jacob. "You ready to run out the back? There's no way they're going to draw all of these away..."
Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am
"Yep! Let's give Kel a few and see what he can draw towards him." Jacob takes a quick look about the room looking for something he might be able to use as a good smashy weapon. "We going to try and circle back around for one of the cars? Might be useful to let these bastards in as we leave out the back. Less of them hanging around at front!"
Mar 10, 2016 1:05 am
Jacob can find a baseball bat in a glass case. Clearly an autographed piece of sports memorabilia. No doubt Kel purchased it for a good amount to warrant the case.
Mar 10, 2016 1:09 am
Annette, Kel, and his family pile into the jeep. Ready to hit the door button and get driving.

Jacob, Howard, and John remain in the house.

Ready when you are guys. If we want to draw some in once the door opens I'll fire a few shots before we book it out the back. Let's bank around the opposite side of the house so we are on the opposite side from the garage. If Kel will be drawing them in that way we want to avoid that direction. You two ready?
Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am
"No." Jacob answers truthfully. "Let's do it!"
Mar 10, 2016 4:01 am
-- In the Garage --

Kel, after loading up in the car you suddenly realize the power to the house has been out. That would include the garage door. The Jeep is loaded up with supplies, and luckily you just filled it up the other day, you just need to get it out of here. It's full up now with people and supplies, so there is no more room in the jeep. There are still two cars outside, you think the guy Pete that you met went over to his girlfriends house down the road.

-- In the House --

As you wait for the sounds of the garage door to go up the gash that has been made in the front door begins to splinter and widen. This barricade is not going to hold long once they are through the door. You hear one of the front windows shatter as well, the mob outside is pressing more into the building along the front. Suddenly John says, Wait, there's no power. How are they going to get the garage up with no power? He turns and sprints towards the garage and opens the door, Kel! There's no power!

He runs down to the door and pulls the release cord. Bending down he lifts the door with all his might and it clatters up to rest fully open. Then he sprints back inside. We have to go now!, he shouts as he starts moving towards the back sliding glass door.
Mar 10, 2016 2:00 pm
Kel hops into the driver seat. "Make room for anyone that can fit" he tells his family. He fires up the engine, ready to roll as soon as there is room to get out.
Mar 10, 2016 4:55 pm
After John runs out and flips open the garage door he sprints inside and you have a clear driveway in front of you now. With the noise of that door it may not be so for long.

What do you do?
Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm
Kel guns it out of the driveway and honks the horn to draw the zombies off of the house. "That should give everyone a chance to get to their cars!"
Mar 10, 2016 5:13 pm
As you hit the end of the driveway, horn blaring, you see the group in front of the house start to be drawn away from the house, you also see the front door collapse in, zombies falling inside, and hear a few gunshots from inside. Some of the group follows you, the others start to push into the house. You turn left, heading up the street towards the house Pete had gone to, and away from the cars so the mob gets drawn away. There has to be almost 40 bodies in the mass in front of the home.

inside

You hear the blare of the horn as the door finally splinters away and more zombies crash through front windows. Johns fires off a few shots before running to the back door and sliding it open. Zombies begin to pile in through the front.

What do you do?
Mar 11, 2016 1:12 am
:::No need to help them get in now!::: Howard yells: "YAAAAAAAAHHHH!" at the zombies and then runs with Jacob and John out the back. If he's the last one out, he's going to give a quick shove to the sliding door towards being shut as he goes through, in the hopes of slowing down pursuit just that little bit more.
Mar 11, 2016 2:20 am
As the zombies shuffle through the house, tripping over furniture and changes in the floor height, they follow near Howard. He stays one step ahead of them and slides the glass door shut behind him. One zombie plows right into it, teeth crack and splinter out of his face as a second follows behind it, crushing it up against the glass. You see a small crack pop into existence across the window as two more hit the group. When the fifth hits the entire window shatters, spilling the group into the back yard. John, Jacob, and Howard are already booking it out of there.
OOC:
Jacob and Howard, make a dexterity check. There will be three negative dice. You get one positive by default, plus an extra for Kel distracting the mob. Come up with whatever bonuses you can think of from your characters.
Mar 11, 2016 4:28 pm
Howard quips "I gotta talk to Kel about his housing association!" and he runs through the back yard, picking up a ceramic figurine and throwing it at the lead zombie (trait: throws well). As he runs, he envisions his years on the high school cross country team in an attempt to quickly find his stride (trait: vivid imagination).
OOC:
That's four successes on dexterity (3), and two failures.
Last edited March 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (default, 1 Kel's distraction, 3 traits) - (5d6)

(36333) = 18

Negative dice (default, horde of zombies) - (3d6)

(464) = 14

Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm
OOC:
Perfect use of traits to give yourself an edge.
John looks back to see where Howard is as suddenly Howard shoots past him with a quip that John can't help but chuckle at. He sees Howard round the house and leap the short chain link fence as though it was a hurdle. The jumping style seems almost wreckless had he botched it, but it works for him and Howard handily clears the fence. He arrives to the cars winded and sore, but intact and zombie bite free.
OOC:
Surprised that didn't cancel more negative dice, but don't forget for each full level of a stress track you can ignore one negative dice.
John also manages to make it to the car a few moments behind Howard. Also winded and tired from the sprint he climbs into the car with Howard.

Rolls

Positive Dice (default, kel's help) - (1d6, 1d6)

Negative dice - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Mar 11, 2016 5:00 pm
"Right behind ya!" Jacob says as he does his best to keep up with Howard. Aa fairly decent athlete in his younger years he has no problem keeping up... until he feels that tweak in his knee. "Damn it!"
OOC:
Success with three stress, which resistance cuts to two.
Last edited March 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Rolls

Positive [Default, Horn, Moves Quickly] - (3d6)

(211) = 4

Negative [Three Default, Old Knee Injury] - (4d6)

(2345) = 14

Mar 16, 2016 1:58 am
As you meet up at the vehicles everyone is more or less intact. Jetting away up the block you notice the lack of a car outside the other house on this block you were going to go to. Peter must have left with his girlfriend.

You pull out of this block. A slow moving herd walking slowly and silently behind you. It's hard not to imagine them as cattle as they walk aimlessly towards a meal.

What is the plan now?
Mar 16, 2016 2:45 am
OOC:
Does anyone need to pick up any more loved ones? Sorry, it's been so long I don't recall
Mar 16, 2016 2:59 am
OOC:
Jacob has no family in town.
Mar 16, 2016 3:02 am
OOC:
It has been all night without sleep, so if you don't hunker down somewhere at some point you also will start to get fatigued. Taking another automatic negative dice to every roll. Plus rest can allow you to heal stresses and tally up all yur loot so far. We can also advance characters again. Just need to find a safe enough place.
Mar 16, 2016 12:07 pm
"OK, We need to get away from population and find a place to get some rest. Does anyone have a cabin or anything north of here? If not, perhaps we can look for an old State Police building or something - those places are fortresses. I think there's one over in Elmore, just a few minutes from here. It was decommissioned and now it's a feed store I think!"
Mar 18, 2016 9:49 pm
"Sounds good to me. I mean, Andrew had the cabin we were going to, but if Andrew was going to tell us any more about it, he would've already." Howard looks around uneasily, mouthing the word 'Right??' where he imagines his invisible coworker might be. He's still pretty spooked about Andrew's disappearing into thin air, on top of everything else. But he hasn't seen any doors opening or closing by themselves, thank goodness, so he's beginning to come around to the idea that Andrew has just left them, rather than that he's hanging around nearby, invisible.
Last edited March 18, 2016 9:49 pm
Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm
"You feeling OK?" Jacob asks as he sees Howard mouthing words to unseen people "Ya didn't get bit, did ya?"

Keeping a careful eye on Howard he responds to Kel "Feed store? Would be nice if they left some weapons around as well, but any place we could hole up for a while would be great."
Mar 18, 2016 11:53 pm
Kel gives some basic instructions on how to get to the former state police post.

Example.
Last edited March 18, 2016 11:55 pm
Mar 19, 2016 11:18 am
OOC:
It would appear Howard is on the brink of insanity. He could use a good rest.

So the feed store, or the police station? Two solid ideas, and finding either is no true ordeal, you know these places well enough.
Mar 24, 2016 10:45 am
Kel breathes a sigh of relief as he finds himself reunited with his family. It helps him forget, momentarily, of the horrors he has seen. As the convoy of vehicles moves along through the suburban streets, passing shambling walkers and the occasional burning car, he is brought back to the reality of the situation. He looks at his frightened children's eyes in the rear view mirror and uses the time to bring them up to speed on what he has seen, what he knows of the situation so far...sound and movement triggers zombies, that animals can be infected too...and it only seems to happen when you are killed - it's not a plague that turns you as in some movies. He tries to encourage everyone in the car to stay strong, that help will be coming, and that all will be ok if we stay smart.

Rolls

Strengthen-Ease NPCs 4 Dice (2 CHA, 1 Peacemaker, 1 Experiences) - (1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

Negative die 1d6 - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Mar 28, 2016 11:06 pm
A calm comes over the group, Kel has a way of putting everyone at ease despite the events of the evening. It isn't long before you find yourselves crossing the outskirts of Elmore. This much smaller town is host mostly to farmland outside the city. You have have most likely visited at some point. Apple Orchards, real Christmas Tree sales, and horse stables where you can rent horses to ride for the afternoon. Not a bad little place. As you drive into town you don't actually see too much activity here. You see no cars, no people. The population was small to begin with, but it's now a ghost town.

You find the feed store easy enough. It seems entirely abandoned as well. But it still stands and is the safest and most defensible spot around.
OOC:
i might start another forum with a bigger better intro tonight or tomorrow.
Mar 29, 2016 10:31 am
Kel helps make sure the building is clear and secure and then helps set up a watch schedule (gamers are good at that) and gets some much needed rest.

Thread locked