Interest Check - Pathfinder Patrons

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 1, 2019 2:45 am
Hey, all! Is anyone interested in a one shot with clerics and paladins only? Some buddies of mine in seminary were joking about a game where they all had to play religious people, and I want to test and see if it's really balanced or not. I think it actually could be with the right session 0!
Aug 1, 2019 4:15 am
I've pitched a similar concept to various groups, and received only epic side eye. All paladin party, or all cleric. Now, we're you thinking adherents to a singular god, or 'competitors'?
Aug 1, 2019 4:23 am
I've always wondered what it would be like to campaign as a single-class party.
Aug 1, 2019 4:39 am
I think it would work well as worshippers to a branch of a pantheon. Like all the good Norse gods. Or something like that. All one God would make it hard to have different aspects. Competition could derail a party.
Aug 1, 2019 4:52 am
Or how about several gods (of the same pantheon) who all have some influence over a single domain? Or would that be too limiting?
Aug 1, 2019 4:53 am
I once ran a Pathfinder campaign in the Warhammer setting. The characters were a Bretonnian Grail Knighta (Paladin), regular knight (Fighter), enchantresses (Druid) and they teamed up with a priest of Sigmar (cleric) at one point. It works but there is a major problem for you as a DM. No one will ever be in danger. Ever. By the time they get to level 3 there isn't much you can do to kill them unless you're blatantly unfair and throwing -super- high CR fights all the time. It took forever for them to kill anything but there was little doubt that they would.
Aug 1, 2019 5:02 am
Not even a similar party from a rival church?
Aug 1, 2019 5:13 am
Interesting insight on the CR issue, cep100. I’ll have to think on that.

And, it would be open to variation, pantheon-wise. Everyone has to be within one step of "neutral good," for instance.
Aug 1, 2019 5:45 am
It was Warhammer so the 'rival church' was all multi-classed barbarians and bloodragers and what-not but no. Ironically what stopped them cold in their tracks was a rogue/fighter/shadow dancer that went Spring Attack tree. Stealth, attack with sneak, Stealth. Beat him eventually but since Hide in Plain Sight isn't Invisibility they had no effective counter besides putting themselves in a circle back-to-back.

Part of the reason the party did so well was because of all the anti-evil spells that clerics and paladins get access to. Ironically, the cleric said he'd never had more fun playing a cleric because he didn't have to spend every round baby-sitting the rest of the party. The cleric and druid loaded up on buffs and attack spells and they just depended on channeling energy and lay on hands for healing.
Last edited August 1, 2019 5:45 am
Aug 1, 2019 5:51 am
Making the party first level cuts down on that a bit.
Aug 1, 2019 6:09 am
Or make enemies non-evil. Or both PCs and foes are evil.
Aug 1, 2019 6:59 am
It'll allow one or two of your more left field players to choose quirky builds, knowing that the core skills are all covered. I know I would. Like you'll get an Arcana cleric who's just going to behave like a mage all the way. Or a non armoured paladin. It makes for party variety for sure.

Wasn't there a David Eddings fantasy series with a party of different holy knights with different abilities?
Aug 1, 2019 12:25 pm
BedzoneII says:

Wasn't there a David Eddings fantasy series with a party of different holy knights with different abilities?
Sparhawk was the main character. The Elenium is the series. Very good books, one of my wife's favorite series.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.