Chapter 4: New Day

Aug 1, 2019 7:39 pm
After encouragement from well-wishers, the party descends once more into the strange complex of rooms that leads to the portal. Renaya accompanies the group once more, staying near Yelnar as they walk. Atticus the pony seems less than impressed with his new subterranen environment, and despite being more or less willing to be led, he fixes Willitan with an equine glare when he thinks the halfling's not looking.

There's an undercurrent of excitement and curiosity and some apprehension as the group enters the large temple-like room that houses the portal, which remains open and unchanged from the day before. If anything, the burst of light from the other end of the complex has brightened this area even further. The symbol-runes carved into the walls still glow with color, still depicting the pastoral scene from yesterday. A faint mist emanates from the open archway, like a low, cool morning fog.
Aug 1, 2019 7:45 pm
is there any moment more exciting than taking the first step on a new journey?

Wil says his final farewells to the villagers, double checks his gear and the gear on Atticus. He looks to see if everyone is ready. If so, he steps through the portal.
OOC:
If anyone is going to do anything before we 3nter, Wil is not just running headlong in. He will wait until everyone is ready.
Aug 1, 2019 7:58 pm
Elora will stretch a hand out to grab Willitan by the shoulder, but only moves her hand forward maybe half a foot before retracting it. "I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful, this might be another plane and therefore may have a threshold much like the one at the estate." With that being said she is ready to step on through.
Aug 1, 2019 8:34 pm
Ember's eyes dart around nervously as she sees the remains of last night's attempt to get the necromancer out and bury him. There are a couple small items knocked over that weren't yesterday.

Clumsy.....ugh!

But nobody seems to notice.

She pokes her hand past the doorway back and forth a couple times, then looks back at Yelnar.

Ready, big guy?
Aug 1, 2019 9:03 pm
Yelnar walks solemnly up to the threshold of the portal. He takes the Bardiche and the Longbow off his back, and detaches the Scimitar in its scabbard from his belt, and lays them all to the side of the portal. He straps his shield to his arm, and nods at Ember.
OOC:
When all are ready, Yelnar would like to be first to step through the portal.
Aug 1, 2019 9:16 pm
Wil can tell that this means a lot to Yelnar.

After you my large friend.
Aug 3, 2019 10:21 pm

Yelnar steps through the portal first, disappearing silently into the fog. There's just a moment where the rest of the party looks at each other -- uncertainty, maybe, or wondering who's next to take the plunge -- but it's only a moment. Soon, everyone follows on the big warrior's heels.

As you pass beneath the archway, there's a sensation of coolness, like the breeze of an early summer morning: a faint chill heady with the scent of life and renewal. A few steps forward and the fog begins to clear from your vision. If you choose to look behind you, all you see is the fog, swirling and obscuring your vision. A few more steps forward, and your vision clears completely.

A verdant forest stands before you in a thousand shades of green. Trees tower above you, impossibly tall, their tops indistinct in the mist that hangs gently in the air. Shrubs make up the underbrush, from ground cover with tiny white flowers to taller bushes covered in small purple berries. The earth beneath your feet is a rich, dark brown, a path wending before you further into the heart of the forest. There is an undeniable sense of peace and calm in the air, but just beneath it, an undercurrent of being watched. Look as you might, from where you stand you see no animal life, though there are the distant calls of birds somewhere out ahead of you.

Curiously, the portal you entered from seems to stand unsupported along the path. You can walk around and behind it, but the fog only creeps forth from one side of the portal, the side you exited. The other side is a pure black that almost seems to draw light into it, and it has no thickness that you can detect.
Aug 3, 2019 11:37 pm
Yelnar walks forward enough to give the rest of the party room to come through, then just looks around, his face a mingled expression of awe and joy at the majesty of nature surrounding him. He takes off his gauntlets, ties them to his belt, picks up some of the soil and smells it before letting it drop. He does not look back, this is the path that has been calling him.
Aug 4, 2019 12:01 am
Ember's never seen the big guy this enthralled with something. And, she's amazed too. This is the nicest place she's seen since....well, ever. If they weren't on a mission, it'd be easy to get lost and stay. Build a life. Live in peace.

And ruin it somehow.

She looks around cautiously.

So, any better feel on what this is? A room? A dimension? A really fancy museum?

Rolls

Knowledge: Arcana - Stop, children, what's that sound - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Aug 4, 2019 1:55 am
This is truly a wonderous place.

Wil looks around to see if any of this looks or feels familiar from his travels.

Rolls

Perception I guess? - (1D20)

(13) = 13

Aug 4, 2019 3:39 am
Ephwrath rushes in and begins examining several plants and trees, muttering to himself while taking notes in his journal. "...Valerman nature preserve... could it be? Fascinating..."

Rolls

Knowledge (history) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Knowledge (arcana) - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Knowledge (planes) - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Aug 4, 2019 4:47 am
Elora does a 360 of their surroundings, slowly being enveloped by the calming atmosphere. It feels different in here, like she doesn't have to worry about the endless dangers they would normally have to keep watch for, except... "I don't know what this is, but I think we're not alone." She whispers to her companions, not quite sure what this means yet. "You can run but you can't hide, pull the shroud which tries to divide." She continues whispering an encantation, getting a feel for this forest.
OOC:
Casting that detect magic.

Rolls

Knowledge (arcana) - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Knowledge (planes) - (1d20+8)

(4) + 8 = 12

Aug 5, 2019 8:45 pm
Verrian walks through the portal with the others. She ruthlessly suppresses a flutter of panic as the fog momentarily obscures her vision, knowing that it will end shortly - which it does. Upon exiting the fog, she glances around at the surroundings briefly, then turns back to examine the portal, now apparently freestanding in the midst of the path.

Returning her attention to their surroundings, she feels herself starting to succumb to wonder, but Elora's comment cuts through that and Verrian begins to look more critically. Perhaps someone or something is concealed in this forest that could pose a threat to them. On a whim, she extends her telepathic senses as well, in case there is anyone nearby who could be reached in that manner.

Rolls

Big ol' canny perception check - (1d20+10)

(10) + 10 = 20

Aug 5, 2019 9:00 pm
The forest is undeniably verdant. It seems that everywhere Ephwrath looks, there is another uncommon plant species. For most, the inescapable feeling of peace and calm is unbroken. One could easily while away hours, days... weeks, even, soaking in the atmosphere.

For others, that faint nagging feeling of not everything being quite right can't be shaken.

Elora notices that while the flora all around is perfectly mundane, the air itself is redolent with magic. It is... not easily defined, it seems. It is not quite arcane, not quite divine, but something all its own. But one thing is abundantly clear: it was produced by someone or something immensely powerful.

Ephwrath, Ember and Willitan all continue to get the feeling that they're being watched, though a careful look about provides no clues as to what the source of this faint paranoia might be.

Verrian is certain that some sentient force is present, her telepathic senses and incisive gaze combining to plant this idea firmly in her mind.
Aug 5, 2019 9:36 pm
It's a certainty - there is a telepathic presence here, one capable of blocking Verrian's telepathy beyond detecting it's existence. She starts to report the finding to the others but thinks better of it. She needs more specifics.

Calming her mind, Verrian breathes deeply and projects images of peaceful humanoid interactions in tranquil settings, along with the verbal message: We are explorers. We mean no harm. We only seek to learn and to help. Please don't be afraid of us. Please don't harm us.
Aug 5, 2019 10:08 pm
Wil looks around and thinks.
Easy on. Not all who watch are evil. Maybe they are cautious.

I feel like someone or something is watching us. I haven't seen anything and maybe I am just jumpy...but I don't think so.
I think it could be either the creator, or the guardian, of this place. I think it might be prudent not to pick things wildly nilly. Maybe no fires either unless it is from deadfall.

With that he looks around to see if there are any of the normal things associated with a forest...fallen branches, the odd dead plant. Things like that.
Last edited August 5, 2019 10:09 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1D20)

(19) = 19

Aug 5, 2019 10:52 pm
Ember suspects that Verrian is trying to contact the beings here. That worries her. She speaks up in a bold, but not yelling, sing-song voice.

Hello! You have a lovely place here! We cleared out all the bad stuff from the other side. Can we meet you?

The tingling in her spine slowly forms into a knot. She shoves her hands in her pockets so if her magic starts flickering, she can't mess anything up.

So, big guy, she asks with a put-on grin. Whaddya think?

Rolls

Sense motive on the........thing. - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Aug 6, 2019 2:12 am
Yelnar starts out his reverie at Embers question, not really hearing it properly but not wanting her to know that.

"Isn't it beautiful?" he says, guessing she is talking about this place - what else could anyone be talking about.

Brought back to earth, he notices the sense of being watched for the first time, though the sensation does not concern him.

"I come in peace to this place, with no ill will or thought of aggression to mar the serenity of this place" he speaks loudly and clearly, hoping it will be heard by the right entity.

Arms up and palms showing, he begins walking further along the path.
OOC:
I guess maybe thats some sort of Diplomacy?
Last edited August 6, 2019 2:14 am

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20-1)

(11) - 1 = 10

Aug 6, 2019 4:12 am
Ephwrath, with his hand firmly gripping the stem of a spectacular plant specimen, hears Wil's admonishment and slowly releases it. He gently pats the leaves while looking around with a sheepish smile. "Aye, I feel it too." He begins peering around at the surrounding bushes and trees. "I suppose I can wait until later to collect some samples..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Aug 6, 2019 4:15 am
"Something made this...to be so powerful..." Elora starts feeling nervous about their situation. She can't be sure it's an evil entity, but simply comparing their strength is enough reason for her to tread lightly.

"S-should we move forward?" She asks her companions, needing to hear a voice or two of reason.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.