Greetings

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 8, 2019 6:58 pm
Hi everyone. I've been playing Pathfinder for several years with my friends IRL. Looking to get into PbP as a creative outlet. I'm more interested in running 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons as I think the system is less cumbersome from a DM/GM perspective, plus I want to see what all the hype is about.

In our tabletop game, my GM puts certain resources on Google Drive for us players to look at as handouts (our campaigns stretch into two or more years sometimes, so having it digital keeps it accessible for us). Do people do that here? Also, I'm interested in the battle map feature I've read about on the site. Does anyone have a link to an example of one? I'm currently looking at having a piece of graph paper with me, drawing maps in pen while PCs, NPCs, and things that move would be in pencil. Snap a shot on my phone and upload somewhere and link to it in a game thread. I'm hoping the map making part can solve this or expand upon it. I also didn't see a dice rolling function for Advantage and Disadvantage. Do people just do 1d20+3, 1d20+3 and pick the appropriate result, or did I miss something?

Thanks for reading!
Aug 8, 2019 7:02 pm
Welcome!

Every GM does things a little different. In the Pathfinder game I run, I do a mix of both. Long-term documents tend to reside on Google drive, with other things posted directly to this site, sometimes both.

We don't have any sort of integrated battle map feature. If you go to the Guides forum and take a look at Airickson's Google sheet in the Battle Maps thread, that's been useful for a number of people. Plus Airickson's super helpful, so if you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask further.

For advantage/disadvantage, people just roll multiple dice like you say, and pick the appropriate result.
Aug 8, 2019 7:16 pm
If you need any help with using the Google Sheets template for battle maps, let me know. It works fairly well, but can struggle if your map has a lot of curves and such.

Additionally, in one of the games I run, I set up a Discord server which primarily serves as an OOC chat and a heads-up when people are posting. You can use the server to pin persistent links for players (links to shared folders, battle maps, and other game resources)
Aug 8, 2019 7:20 pm
Welcome!
Aug 8, 2019 9:25 pm
Welcome!
Aug 8, 2019 9:30 pm
Welcome!
Aug 9, 2019 12:06 am
Thanks all! I've actually already made two maps for Dragon of Icespire Peak. I plan on doing them all and releasing them as a DM aid. Is there a forum for posting stuff like that?
Aug 9, 2019 12:11 am
Hello and welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.