Soooo... Earthdawn?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm
Hey all,

I joined pretty recently, good times so far. There's just one thing missing from my list... Earthdawn! Now, I know it's pretty obscure these days, but it's still being developed by a 'new' Fasa Games. It's up to its 4th edition. I was wondering if anyone here plays it?

For those who don't know it, it's from the same original creators as Shadowrun, but more of a horror-fantasy variant on the same setting. A great doom was foretold, and all the sentient races had to ride out the coming of extra-planar monster horde of beings called the Horrors who, as the name suggests, aren't exactly pleasant. To survive, all sentient races had to lock themselves in magical strongholds, most underground, for centuries to wait out the Scourge. Now they are re-emerging into a changed world, and have to reclaim it. Loooots of story there, just abridging it, but it has a rather unique horror-fantasy feel to it.
Last edited August 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Aug 10, 2019 9:52 pm
I played 4th, but I am not super excited about the system. The setting on the other hand :)
Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm
I always wanted to play it but never had a group willing to do so.
Aug 10, 2019 10:04 pm
runekyndig says:
I played 4th, but I am not super excited about the system. The setting on the other hand :)
Oh I get that one, the system is one of the more complicated ones out there. I like it for allowing the player free choice on how they wish to advance their character, even customize it to quite some degree. But it took me years to learn the step dice by heart. ^^
Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am
Same as runekyndig, the setting is classically great in its time, which I enjoyed. The rules, well, not so much.
Aug 11, 2019 3:55 am
The rules aren't a total disaster, they just kind of oversell the level 1 experience. The setting is pretty great, though.
Aug 11, 2019 4:50 am
Oh I like crunchy rules, Middle Earth Rolemaster, Shadowrun, etc. Earthdawn's didn't seem to me to payoff, ie. the complexity didn't lend itself to the setting.
Aug 11, 2019 5:26 am
I love Earthdawn, it was my first RPG! I'm totally interested, should someone make a game.
Aug 11, 2019 6:38 am
Mighty tempted, thought I'm only familiar with the 2nd edition (which apparently most ED players consider to be heretical...). Sadly, I don't want to overextend myself in too many games, so I'm going to have to take a pass...
Aug 17, 2019 12:14 pm
I love all and every bit of Earthdawn. I kickstarted 4th, but only ever really played 1st.
Last edited August 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Aug 17, 2019 1:03 pm
I kickstarted it too. Funny to see your name in the rulebook of an RPG you started playing decades ago when you were 14 years old. :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.