Beneath Curnbrey Citadel (D&D 5e)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Beneath Curnbrey Citadel
A D&D 5e adventure for four or five 1st level characters

https://i.imgur.com/2fnmVrO.jpg

The Story:
The young representatives of the eight great kingdoms are summoned to Curnbrey Citadel to join the High King at his court. There, on the last night of the Summer Banquet, they discover the entrance to a vast cavernous dungeon beneath the Citadel. They begin to explore the dungeon, like the legendary adventurers of old, but they have to do it in secret. The Great Peace has been in place for more than one hundred years, and the adults at Curnbrey Citadel have little interest in reviving the adventuring spirit in their young protegees. This is the third age, the age of the Great Peace. There are no liches to battle, no dragons to slay, no wars to fight. Magic exists, but it is tame and used for the benefit of all. It was not always like this though. The second age, the Age of Adventure, is now but a distant memory, and those in power have great interest in keeping buried the secrets of the past that lie beneath the Citadel.

The Setting:
It is the final night of the Late Summer Banquet, the banquet that celebrates the arrival of the best and brightest from the eight great kingdoms to Curnbrey Citadel. Every four years the High King summons to his court young representatives from each of the kingdoms. These young representatives grow up and finish their education at the Citadel. They forge relationships with members of the other races and learn the ways of the other kingdoms, thus propagating the Great Peace for another generation.

Curnbrey Citadel is an ancient and massive castle, built on the remains of even older and more massive structures. The Citadel sits at the edge of the sprawling valley of Curnbrey Vale. The Citadel is not a symbol of the High King's power. It is a symbol of the Great Peace. Where the Citadel sits isn't a defensible position, and the city that spreads out around the Citadel houses no army. Curnbrey belongs to all eight kingdoms and is ruled by the High King for the good of all. It is a place of peace.

The Meta:
Players will take on the roles of young, first-level heroes (teenagers, no older than about 19, regardless of race) who live in a fantasy world where, after more than 100 years of peace, everything and everyone has become tame. There are clerics and wizards in this world, but they no longer learn combat spells. "Why would you want to learn the magic of war?" the instructors of magic ask. "There are no more wars to fight?" This world has warriors and soldiers as well, and they are sufficient to keep the peace, but there are no great heroes like from the days of old. At least not yet. Our characters will quickly surpass their tutors as they delve the dungeons beneath the Citadel. They will grow into great heroes against the best efforts of the adults who run the world. (And the characters will level-up quickly.)

https://i.imgur.com/5x2tKWI.jpg

About Me: My name is Caystodd or Cass and I work as an "at home companion" for an adult with special needs. I am also a student. I rarely play D&D, so this will be a fun little change of pace for me. If you want to see how I run games, check out my Fate game here: https://gamersplane.com/forums/4395/ Any other questions? Just ask (here or in the Discord).

Character Creation Rules:
First level, standard array, max starting gold, any background that fits our story, and anything in the PHB except the Luck feat is fair game, subject to my approval. I only have the three core books, so we'll have to settle for those.

House Rules:
1. Alternate Inspiration - instead of using the by-the-book Inspiration, which I don't really like, I'm going to give out Inspiration Dice (like Bardic Inspiration except it doesn't have a time limit) for characters who involve themselves in dramatic scenes between the action sequences (see "Play Style" below). Characters will get 1d6 for a dramatic scene where they get what they want, 1d8 for suffering a dramatic setback, and 1d4 for helping out in the dramatic scenes of another character. Characters can only have one kind of dice at any given time.

2. Clocks - I love clocks that count down to something. I use them in combat to trigger monster powers or environmental conditions. I use them out of combat to count down complications in the plot. Sometimes I will tell you what the clock is tracking. Sometimes I won't. You'll have to play to find out.
https://i.imgur.com/YavVzaP.jpg https://i.imgur.com/guKoymS.jpg

Play Style:
1. This game is going to be a mix of action scenes in the dungeons and caverns beneath Curnbrey Citadel and the dramatic scenes that will take place between delves and in flashbacks as characters explore their characteristics, their relationships to one another, their place in the world.

2. I like to use maps and images to keep track of where everyone is and to provide cool visuals.
https://i.imgur.com/QbxV97K.jpg

3. We will make extensive use of Discord and an OOC thread to roll dice and to talk out-of-character. The IC thread is only for story. That way the IC thread can be read like a story without interruption.

4. I will update the IC thread three times a week. Players who can't make three posts a week and check the forum more frequently than that won't be a good fit for this game.

How to Apply:
Make a post in this thread with the following:
1. A brief description of your character. Give me name, race, class, background, and a few adjectives. A character portrait is fine here as well.
2. A list of characteristics from your background: Personality Trait, Flaw, Ideal, and Bonds.
3. [In a spoiler] A short scene that illustrates the dramatic trajectory of your character. What emotional concessions does she want from the people around her? From whom? Why?

If you have questions, post them here or find me on the GamersPlane discord. I'll leave this open to applications for a week or so. Once I have decided which characters/players I think will be the best fit, I'll send out game invitations with a link to the forum.
Aug 24, 2019 2:02 pm
https://i.imgur.com/DoOxsRe.jpg
'bout time. :-D

I'll post up an app later today.
Aug 24, 2019 2:14 pm
Dustin Larson, half-elf, fighter (archery fighting style), folk hero background. This hero is 16 years old, exceptionally gifted with a bow. Fancies himself a bit of a prodigy with the implement, enjoying showing off in competitions and making trick shots to win bets. He's a hardy fellow, comfortable in the woods. His cockiness and arrogance make him a bit of an ass at times, but this can frequently be ignored as simple youthful enthusiasm.
Personality Traits: willing to help when someone is in trouble, confident in his own abilities
Ideal: sincerity
Bond: the land
Flaw: overconfidence
[ +- ] Dramatic Trajectory
Aug 24, 2019 4:36 pm
https://i.imgur.com/a39PurK.jpg

1. Ishmee Light, Fifteen-year-old Orc Blooded (Half-Orc) Paladin and Vestal of Pelor.

2. I idolize Rossamond Light, Paladin of Pelor and hero of my faith. I constantly refer to her deeds and example.
I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against the example of Rossamond Light.
I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
[ +- ] Spoiler
Last edited August 30, 2019 12:05 am
Aug 24, 2019 4:40 pm
Looks like a great game, but I'm wondering....should I really join anymore games? LOL
Aug 24, 2019 5:06 pm
This sounds great! If I didn't already have a full plate I'd definitely apply! Have a great game, everyone!
Aug 24, 2019 5:56 pm
Sounds like a wonderful game !
Aug 24, 2019 5:56 pm
Well I must say I'm fairly interested, here's my pitch:

1) Lieria Faric, 17 year old Wood Elf Land Druid. Quirky gardener who doesn't care much for politics.

2) Traits: I prefer the peace of the plants to people.
I'm rather humble and get bashful when others praise me.

Ideal: Community, Everything I do is ultimately to improve the circumstances of the people I serve.

Bond: My craggy dwarf teacher and the small greenhouse we maintained. It reminds me where I came from.

Flaw: Sometimes I disregard what someone has ordered of me if my own personal interests will be strained.
[ +- ] 3) Dramatic trajectory
[ +- ] Heroic Portrait
Edit: updated the dramatic trajectory as per the GM's instructions.
Last edited August 26, 2019 4:05 am
Aug 24, 2019 9:24 pm
https://66.media.tumblr.com/71da851f1ebf825ea7cf83c7bfceebd8/tumblr_pekwln5D5z1w29cl7o1_500.jpg

Alissia 'Alice' Estren

16 year old Human Life Cleric. Awkward entertainer who just wants to see people smile.

Traits:
I’m a hopeless romantic, always searching for that "special someone."
I’ve spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.

Ideal:
People. I like seeing the smiles on people’s faces when I perform. That’s all that matters.

Bond:
My instrument is my most treasured possession, and it reminds me of someone I love. (Sister)

Flaw:
I’m a sucker for a pretty face
Last edited August 28, 2019 10:29 am
Aug 25, 2019 6:07 am
This looks awesome!
Sadly I don't really have the time for more games (wanted to restrict myself to a maximum of 5 games as to not having too much free time in the future)
But I'd love to read from time to time! So, if you'd make the game public, that would be awesome! (If you or your players don't want to, I completely understand~)
Aug 25, 2019 9:44 am
I hope there is room for one more player:

Calvas Feylendiir, male, half-elf, sorcerer, 18 years old
A stoic, disciplined user of powers he doesn't fully understand

Background: Sage

Traits: There is nothing I like more than a good mystery

Ideal: Logic-Emotions must not cloud our logical thinking.

Bond: I've been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question

Flaw: I'm easily distracted by the promise of information
OOC:
Edited the dramtic trajectory
Last edited August 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Aug 25, 2019 10:32 am
This looks awesome! If you have space, I'd love to join in.
https://imgur.com/7jpWNJ1.png

Nymril Torafin (16)
Drow Warlock.
A timid, bookish boy with an eldritch connection to an unfathomable evil.

Background: Sage
I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situations
Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
I have an ancient text that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands.
I am easily distracted by the promise of information.
[ +- ] NEW Dramatic Trajectory
Last edited August 26, 2019 4:48 am
Aug 25, 2019 11:22 am
This is by far one of the most intriguing pitches for a D&D game I have read for a long time. I am very tempted, but I don't have the time for yet another game. Next time :)
Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am
Same here. Just too dang busy.
Aug 25, 2019 12:05 pm
I'm in a hurry this morning, but I thought I'd drop in to answer a few questions/comments. More coming later tonight.
Caesar says:
So, if you'd make the game public, that would be awesome! (If you or your players don't want to, I completely understand~)
Yes, the game will be public and I'll post a link in the "public games" thread in the discussion forums.
Scrol says:
I hope there is room for one more player:
oopsylon says:
If you have space, I'd love to join in.
Right now, since I haven't accepted any players/characters, I still have 4 or 5 openings. :-) Once a week goes by, I'll take a look at all the apps and pick the ones that I think would be the best fit for the game. So, apply away. Also, if you really want to play X but someone has already posted X class, don't shy away from that, but be thinking about another character you might want to play. If I like the way you write and RP but don't want two elf sorcerers in the game (niche protection is a big deal for me), I may still invite you to join with a different character.

Also, everyone, what I would like to see most in your spoiler is a scene that illustrates the dramatic trajectory of your character. Not a description, a scene, and it should be dramatic (not procedural).

Thanks for all the kind words and thanks for the time y'all have put forward so far for this game. I'm loving what I'm reading and am very excited for this game!
Aug 25, 2019 2:39 pm
Quote:
Also, everyone, what I would like to see most in your spoiler is a scene that illustrates the dramatic trajectory of your character. Not a description, a scene, and it should be dramatic (not procedural).
Thanks for the clarification. I changed my dramatic trajectory accordingly.
Aug 25, 2019 3:28 pm
oooh, time to change my trajectory
Aug 26, 2019 4:38 am
This sounds like a blast!!! If you still have room, I'd love to be considered!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qNlrEuCRWSd1GTmEd6Q344aQuFIrhncS

Vinitharius Volusions Varisumus Vieuxpont (a.k.a. Vinny)

Tiefling – Rogue (Acrane Trickster) – Noble

A notorious prankster with a practiced lasseiz faire attitude hiding his lack of confidence in his ability to live up to his and others’ high expectations for his future.

Personality Trait - Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. In fact usually I try to hide my family name. To the point where I only try to use my first 3 names, and not my 4th family name.

Flaw - Behind my nonchalant attitude lies a fragile ego terrified of falling short of family expectations and I try to make up for by showing off in front of my peers.

Ideal - I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family.

Bond - I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family and by extension others that I meet.
Last edited August 26, 2019 4:39 am
Aug 28, 2019 12:43 am
I'm still loving the apps, guys. Thanks so much.

I'm going to start sending out PMs tomorrow to ask questions and talk concepts where I need to. I'll probably close applications on Thursday and start the game on Friday.

Yay!

*squees*
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.