New Site: Home Page, feedback needed

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 11, 2017 2:56 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:
I do know we could use a "back to the forum" button on the bottom of the page though. That has to be frustrating for you as well to scroll all the way back up to click that button.
I'm about 30% done with a rework of the forums.
Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Once logged in, I really only use the main page to click "Latest Posts", and occassionally to see recent games that have started. For better access to my own characters, I don't know. I have like 50 or more - many of these are NPCs for games that I am no longer running, so I wouldn't need access.

If the site engine was smart enough to only put PC characters that are in active games in the dropdown box, and could show all of those rather than just 5 or 6, that would be super useful and easy on the white space.
Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm
Qralloq says:
If the site engine was smart enough to only put PC characters that are in active games in the dropdown box, and could show all of those rather than just 5 or 6, that would be super useful and easy on the white space.
My original goal was to get rid of the characters link at the top, but maybe that's not viable. I do plan on changing the way the drop menu dropdown works, to only show PCs, but I also don't like the idea of it only showing a few, specially with the way the site use is evolving. Maybe I shouldn't get rid of the characters link up top, instead removing the quick menu, and having a small quick finder on the home page?
Feb 11, 2017 3:35 pm
Maybe your plan is okay. I under utilise the character option in the footer of forum pages - maybe that's all I need. It is in the right place at the right time.
Feb 11, 2017 3:39 pm
I'm realizing my plan was mixing purposes... We don't really need a "My Games" page, as it's just a list of games... if that's on the home page, why have it elsewhere too? But character's is more robust. A quick way to reach characters would be nice, but then there's also the library, minor edits, in game or not, so I think we can get rid of the Games page, but characters may not be best.

Man, I really should try finding a designer who could work relatively cheap.
Feb 11, 2017 3:49 pm
For my two cents, I wouldn't sweat finding the most elegant solution to layout. As long as the method to finding each component is intuitive and consistent, then it will be a win. Many sites (and implementations of Windows OS) try and make some things super easy and obvious, but then bury other things between layers of obfuscation and back doors. That can be frustrating.

But your toolbar approach, for example is great to me. I know that everything I need I can get to through that. The other things, like the Footer and the Main Page design, are icing on the cake.

Lastly, a bunch of people access GP through tiny mobile screens. Crowding a page with info may be detrimental to their experience.

Okay, maybe that was three cents.
Feb 11, 2017 3:55 pm
Further to my last, I would like to add that, to date, your instincts for this site have been great.
Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm
I SO BADLY want to get a responsive/mobile site going. I'm trying to consider it in all my design proccesses, but I don't have that skill :/
Feb 11, 2017 10:59 pm
I am not sure if it is my browser or the site but opening a character or the tools or pretty much anything, other than next page in a forum, should open in a new window. I constantly click the image of one of my characters just to see a stat and I then have to hit back and reload the page. I have lost lots of great dialog this way from the page refreshing.

Under the "Systems" page clicking "Find a Game" should filter the games page to what was clicked instead of showing every game that's open.

"Characters" link has been discussed in length and I belive you are working on it.

The "Games" link can be removed I feel, as long as you allow some easy access for GM's to see their players characters. I check the AC and HP along with stats and features of my players all the time and I do it from the games main screen.

I like the "Forums" link. I feel it works nicely.

The "Gamers" link is not bad either. I like how the active, inactive, online, offline works. Great job.

The "Links" link could be at the bottom alone. Having it at the top seems redundant. It would free up space for your Nav bar.

With space freed on the Nav bar you could add a "Friends" link. I know this is a small community now but it is growing and having a list of friends and the games they are playing or running could be nice. Yes we can see how many characters they have and in what system but we would need to PM them to get a link. The page could show the normal stuff, Pending friends, Pending requests, And then the list of friends. Onpening a friends page gives links to the games they are playing and running. It could show which are on or not. Yes most of the time active players list is only one page but again this community is growing. You could even have the "Gamers" link have a friends filter to do the above mentioned items.

Just some quick thoughts.
Feb 12, 2017 5:31 am
I appreciate all the hard work on the site. For my part, I check the forums whenever I log in. I'll check my games, but I like to see what's new in the Games Tavern as well as my games. I tend to avoid the Latest Posts because I'm not necessarily interested in all of the stuff in other games. Also, I like the Absences thread, but I don't like subscribing to it. Is there a way maybe to set an "Absent" button on thread so that you could automatically send a message all of your games when it was on?

You asked for feedback about how we use the site, and so I hope this helps.
Feb 12, 2017 6:10 am
It definitely all helps me continue to work on design and functionality.

When you say an absent button on thread, what do you mean? Do you mean a flag or notice?
Feb 12, 2017 11:25 am
Both could work. A flag on your portrait and a notice to the GM's
Feb 12, 2017 6:57 pm
Your partner link goes do a expired domain, the space tavern games
Feb 13, 2017 2:31 am
For an Absent button, I was thinking of a little feature that could be set on an individual profile, sort of like an away/out of office message in email. Basically, it would send an automatic message to threads or games a person was subscribed to saying they were unavailable to play/post. It could just send out one message and then the person could just turn it off when they're back and begin posting again.
Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm
Some thoughts (figured I'd put this here since you linked to it in the other thread....)

Under the My Games section, it would be really nice to have maybe a three-way toggle:
Player
GM
Characters

I'm one of the abnormal (or maybe not....) ones that is GM of ~7 games and playing in ~10 currently. Being able to quickly move back and forth between these as categories would be REALLY helpful.

Additionally, on the "GM" games, it would be really nice to have additional indicators at that level of New Applicants and Pending Character Submissions.
Dec 13, 2017 3:34 pm
Thanks for the thoughts!
Dramasailor says:
Under the My Games section, it would be really nice to have maybe a three-way toggle:
Player
GM
Characters
Just as its a dichotomy between Games and Characters, I'm not sure about a 3 way toggle, but I do think an option to just show games you're playing in vs GMing would be nice; I'll look into how we can do that.
Dramasailor says:
Additionally, on the "GM" games, it would be really nice to have additional indicators at that level of New Applicants and Pending Character Submissions.
I think that's fantastic... I'm just not sure what icons we could use for that. Little colored circles? Or trapezoids as that's a common theme on the site (how in the world did I make trapezoids a thing on this site?).
Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm
Here's my rough photoshop job of my thoughts. In terms of "toggle", I'm thinking something kind of like a multi-frame tabstrip that would have one area for GM games, one area for player games, and one area for my characters (possibly with a number indicating items in that area, like how many games I'm running/playing/characters, or the number of new posts in games I'm playing/running....hmm. Maybe. Maybe not.). It could refresh whatever query/filter/data return when you click into each tab. Almost like little sub-sites of a sort.

For the applicants and character submissions, it could be trapezoidal flags in different colors.
[ +- ] Mockup
Dec 13, 2017 4:37 pm
I didn't do it on there, but just realized if you split GM and Player games, the Game Search and New Game buttons could be moved so player screen sees "Game Search" and GM screen sees "New Game".

You do not have permission to post in this thread.