Advice: A Novel but Nothing to Say

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 6, 2019 9:47 pm
I want to write a novel. I want to write a story. I want to create a world of my own. But yet, I feel like I have nothing to say. If I do begin to say something, it trickles off like some sort of drip.
I have this manuscript buried in a drive somewhere, just marinating in its own juices. Some forgotten editor said I should turn that short story into a full giant novel, but I haven't done that.
I think I have completed three nanowrimo's but nothing has come out of it. I even started a page using the I Ching and Runes and nothing puttered. I wrote down all the stories I told to my student's, called it Friday Last Period, and nothing came of it.
Here I am racking up the number of words here on the Internet typewriter, but wham, I have nothing.
I wish I could make a folder here and just start it right up and start to write and write and write, Keroac style, sweating my ass off until I have to strip off the tshirt and throw on another one. A heminguey machine that continues to type and type over and over again without anyone stopping me, where is that flare, that insanity that I wish I had, something.
Any advice on what to do, would be so appreciated.
Sep 6, 2019 9:58 pm
If you've completed three NaNoWriMo's, it sounds like you don't really have trouble racking up a word count. When you say that nothing has come out of that, what do you mean, exactly? What was the expectation you had when you embarked on NaNoWriMo?
Sep 6, 2019 10:21 pm
Inspiration can be very fickle. There seems to be many ways to harness it....some healthier than others, if you catch my drift. My advice, on the healthier side of things, work on stepping out of your comfort zone in real life. Do something that scares the hell out of you, fall in love, go on a trip, get lost and find an amazing view, find a quiet old person and spark up a conversation - you'd be amazed at what kind of stories shy senior citizens are hiding within. I met my ex-girlfriend's gran once, really sweet, shy little lady that sat in the corner all by herself and never spoke because she felt no one would find her interesting. I sat beside her at a Christmas gathering and tried to get her to open up and turns out she was actually a balloon operator in London during world war 2. I sat and listened to her story in great detail for about 2 hours and was blown away.

Also I find sometimes it helps to step away from your own art and look at someone else's art, but art of a different kind. If you're a writer, then maybe take some time to see a fine arts exhibition if you can, or simply watch a good movie, or discover some new music.

Dunno....just my 2 cents.
Sep 6, 2019 11:19 pm
Hey Valdus. I just started writing a fantasy novel this week. It will be my fourth. It sounds like you have an idea, but not sure how to grind out the idea into a full length story? What do you think is stopping that from happening?
Sep 7, 2019 3:23 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kerouac ate a fair amount of amphetamines. You could certainly go that route if you wanted to, but I wouldn't really fuss over it too much.

Recently,I read an interview with George R.R.Martin whereMartin stated he only manages about 4 pages a day of writing, which is frankly incredible, but makes sense considering the lags between books.

Maybe you've just hit a little block? It'll pass. Just keep writing, that's all that really
matters. The novel itself will come if you stick with it.
Sep 7, 2019 8:10 pm
Thank you all for the suggestions. It feel a lot more like writer's constipation than writer's block (I know there is something there, but it just won't come out). I putter on an internet typewriter, with wonderful typewriter sounds, words get done, but somehow nothing appears.

I guess I will continue. One thing I have had my eye on, my thoughts on, is writing a damn good adventure. A real old fashioned dungeon crawl that I might run here. Something really immersive, of a campaign-level depth.
Last edited September 7, 2019 8:10 pm
Oct 1, 2019 3:18 pm
Do continue. I'm plodding through my own novel right now (Jonathon Cross and the Temples of Venus) and somedays inspiration comes slower than others. I'm good with starting a story and ending a story, but the stuff in middle sometimes eludes me. But don't give up! Try joining a few games and see if something sparks your creativity. You can do it!

In many ways, writing an adventure is easier than writing a novel. In a novel, you control the destiny of the characters (unless, like for me, they write their own stories and I just record them; yes, my characters speak to me; yes, I am crazy). In an adventure, you need only set the scenery up and rent the hall and orchestra. The players will take care of the characters.
Last edited October 1, 2019 3:18 pm
Oct 2, 2019 12:12 am
I can’t really offer advice but I love reading and I hope these stories get written. I’d love to read them. I guess I can’t be helpful but I’ll try to be encouraging!
Oct 2, 2019 2:09 am
My advice, especially on adventure, is to know where you want it to go and then let the pen/keys do the rest. Just let your imagination and thoughts pour out and only worry about perfection when you are revising. I wrote a book this past summer that I’m yet to publish and I honestly had no idea what I was writing when I started. I just started with a character and their thoughts and then the rest came pouring out. I got engulfed in it. No matter how much I felt it was worthless, I just kept going.

Also I would recommend exposing yourself to multiple outlets of entertainment. Stephen King said "Read often. Write often."
So read books. Watch movies. Play games. But absorb when you do it. And good luck! I hope to see something in the future from you.

One more thing. Don’t stressed about length. What defines a story is the beginning and end, no matter how many pages are in between.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.