Favorite Star Wars book

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 13, 2019 2:34 pm
I've been delving deep into Star Wars lately. It's a normal thing for me to bounce back and forth from fantasy-fiction to science-fiction. It engulfs everything I do depending on my interest. The shows I watch reflect it, the games I play reflect it, and also the books. So right now I'm on a Star Wars kick and reading a lot of novels in the Legends timeline. Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite Star Wars books? or if you don't read Star Wars, what is your favorite science-fiction book?

For me, I love the Darth Bane Trilogy. It was beautifully written and gave more insight into the Rule of Two.
Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm
The Thrawn trilogy is a classic and, amazingly, not terribly cannon breaking for a novel that expands so much on the Clone Wars for something that came out years before Attack of the Clones.
Sep 13, 2019 2:42 pm
Cep100 says:
The Thrawn trilogy is a classic and, amazingly, not terribly cannon breaking for a novel that expands so much on the Clone Wars for something that came out years before Attack of the Clones.
I've heard lots of good about the Thrawn Trilogy. I am currently reading in chronological order because ocd reasons.
I started with Revan and have read all they way up to Rogue Planet, which I am currently reading (Don't love it). So Eventually, I will get to the Thrawn Trilogy which will be interesting with what you say about the Clone Wars (somewhere around 15 novels covering the Clone Wars that I'll have to get through first.)
Sep 13, 2019 2:46 pm
I think you'll like it. Thrawn is the only Legends character that made it into cannon, that I recall. And considering that Kyle Katarn didn't get in, that's saying something.
Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm
Muscling through Rogue Planet has been tough. I'm not a huge fan of Greg Bear but I do look forward to the next one Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. I have enjoyed his other novels in the past and if I recall correctly, he is also the author of the Thrawn series.
Sep 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Bane Trilogy is also my favorite. It provides so much (Legends now of course, but I still use ideas from it all the time in games I run) insight into the Force in general, particularly the parts about holocrons though is what I found really valuable.

After that, I really like Deceived (also Old Republic). Probably some of the most complicated character studies in tOR novel series, if not all of Star Wars, after Revan (who I find boring despite his supposed complexity).

I also really enjoyed the portion of the Dawn of the Jedi series that I've read, door to it's deep history look at the Galaxy, the Force and the Jedi Order.

Lots of good stuff out there for Star Wars geeks.
Last edited September 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Yep. In fact, I believe the Thrawn trilogy was the first series he did for Star Wars. Stackpole did the X-wing series which are fun but basically read as a how-to for the X-Wing/Tie Fighter sim games so if you missed those you can basically learn what those were like through the books.
Sep 13, 2019 3:41 pm
Thrawn should have made it into the episodes 7-9 films. This other stuff is just disappointing.

oh, and since I didn't answer the original question - the Thrawn trilogy were my favorite Star Wars books. I wanted to like the Han Solo trilogy, but they were just sort of blah.
Last edited September 13, 2019 4:16 pm
Sep 13, 2019 3:42 pm
Yeah, as far as gaming goes I have only ever played console titles. The first Star Wars game I ever played was Rogue Squadron for the N64 and then I fell in love with Shadows of the Empire. Then pretty much everything else down the line. (Naboo Starfighter, Jedi Academy, all the Battlefronts, etc.) So I do not know anything about the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games and the novels should prove informative for me.
Sep 13, 2019 3:56 pm
It's a shame that the original Dark Forces games were never remade using the Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy engine.
Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm
its the darth bane trilogy
Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm
If you are reading chronologically, it will take you a while to get there, but I really loved the Yuuzhan Vong (spelling?) Saga.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.