Interest Check: Technoir

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am
Hi all,

I had a hankering to start a new game but was unsure what I wanted to run, then I remembered this little gem.

Technoir is a hard boiled detective cyberpunk mystery game. There are a few premade settings (called in the game Transmissions) that come with the game, namely Los Angeles, Singapore and Kilimanjaro that I think it would be best to choose from, and when we get a few players in we could vote on which of these we want to play

It is available on PDF through drive thru rpg, and I honestly have read through the game a few times but never gotten a chance to run or play it.

My question then is would people be interested in a game like this?
Last edited October 22, 2019 2:06 am
Oct 22, 2019 11:17 pm
Absolutely in if you can get a crew together. Have toyed with running a Cyberpunk 2020 game myself, though I've struggled to find others interested in the genre.
Oct 23, 2019 1:24 am
If you don't mind someone new to the system in your game, I'll be up for joining! :D I like cyberpunk, although it's not a genre I often write in, but I'd love to give Technoir a shot - it looks like quite an interesting system.
Oct 23, 2019 7:30 am
I'm interested, though I have not look at the rules yet. I prefer the Singapore location, as I'm from Singapore and have a good idea culture and politics. Though I don't know how realistic the setting will be, but I can play as an exaggerated caricature of an icon.
Last edited October 23, 2019 7:31 am
Oct 23, 2019 3:16 pm
I'd be fine with either Singapore or L.A., as those both have strong Cyberpunk flavor. Kilimanjaro seems...misplaced...though I'm sure a cyberpunk future would be world-wide!
Oct 23, 2019 3:30 pm
Have had this ruleset for ages, but never had the opportunity to play it.

I'd be very interested in giving it a spin.
Oct 23, 2019 3:38 pm
Sounds like a quorum!
Oct 24, 2019 4:50 am
I'm thinking of playing a costumed hero employed by the government. The Merlion will act as both a mascot and a an armed police officer. The tone will have a sort of dark humour.

Programmes: Soldier 1, Bodyguard 2.
Oct 24, 2019 4:53 am
Thanks for talking about this system. First time I'm seeing it, and I enjoyed reading the material and ruleset!
Oct 24, 2019 12:23 pm
BTW, is all the characters going to be like criminals, or will there be more Honest-like types such as Investigators or doctors? Or is it like up to the GM, or team composition?
Last edited October 24, 2019 12:23 pm
Oct 26, 2019 1:39 am
Well, given the response I have started a game! ---> https://gamersplane.com/games/2112/

A quick note, I am yet to play this let alone GM it so we will all be learning together!
Oct 26, 2019 1:41 am
And to answer RoAries' question, they are all criminals by default, but theres nothing stopping you from rolling up a character that's an honest type that's been caught up in the criminal underworld. The setting by default has practically no middle class, so the main point is that you're not rich. You may not be a scum thief mugger, but you are low class, and that according to the society, makes you a criminal. But there are "programs" (classes?) for doctors, engineers and investigators, for sure

You do not have permission to post in this thread.