Interest Check: Hearts of Wulin

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 22, 2019 2:22 am
Heya all,

I came across this recently and wanted to give it a go, the main link is at

https://www.gauntlet-rpg.com/hearts-of-wulin.html

There’s a link there to the play test version of the game from earlier this year that I would be running it from

The game itself is a wuxia melodrama game, meant to emulate stories like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers, along with plenty of Chinese media that I’ll be honest I’m not that familiar with, but I would love to be.

The main mechanical thrust of the game counts on two mechanics, scale and entanglements

Scale is simple, it ranks how strong you are. If you are stronger than someone, you win in combat. If you are weaker, you lose. You still roll in both cases, but it’s instead to determine how much you win or lose by, not what happens.

Entanglements are bonds that you share with other players, and an NPC. An example would be that I am in love with the PC, but in a bitter rivalry with the NPC, their brother. All of the PCs have these, so the drama gets real real quick
Oct 22, 2019 4:58 am
Those mechanics sound really interesting and I would love to try them but unfortunately, the setting doesn't really interest me...
Good luck finding players though! And if you're planning to make the forums public, I would be interested to observe the game!
Last edited October 22, 2019 10:04 am
Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am
Oh man, Wulin is a great game. It takes some chewing to really grok it, but it's good stuff.
Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm
Nice. I'm always on the look out for wuxia games, first time I'm seeing it based on the Apocalypse engine, so I can see it'll be relationship-heavy, and skill light, as opposed to the ones which try to emulate the sheer variety of different kung-fu moves.

Can't wait to see future development though, since it's just at the playtest stage.
Oct 25, 2019 3:32 pm
I’d be interested in playing this.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.