The Adventure Begins...

Oct 25, 2019 12:12 am
Oleg’s trading post is surrounded by a wooden palisade that stands 10 feet high. At each corner of the palisade are 20-foot-square watchtowers, each armed with a run-down catapult left over from the site’s original use as a border fort. These catapults are in no condition to be fired, and repairing them would take many weeks of work. There’s one entrance through the palisade—a 30-foot-wide wooden gate.

You have come to the marketplace at Oleg's bearing your charter, ready to begin your explorations. You are greeted warmly by Oleg's wife, Svetlana who has prepared a hearty stew, warm bread, and has even cracked open a bottle of wine. She smiles happily and bids you enter the main building. Oleg himself climbs down from patching the roof of the guesthouse, covered in a sheen of sweat. He greets you gruffly, "Welcome. It's good to see you."
Oct 25, 2019 12:17 am
Cassian smiles as he sets his pack on the ground. Well met. Thank you for the warm greetings. I'm Cassian Lebeda, I come bearing a charter from the Swordlords.

Cassian pulls out the charter he was issued and hands it to Oleg.
Last edited October 25, 2019 12:18 am
Oct 25, 2019 2:20 am
The man scans the charter disinterestedly. "Yes, yes. We were told to expect you. So, what is your plan? How will we deal with this scourge? Where are the rest of you?"
Oct 25, 2019 2:30 am
Cass pauses as he listens to Oleg. I'm afraid that I don't quite follow your meaning. What scourge ate you talking about? I was basically sent here to explore the areas defined in the charter. As far as the rest...it's just me? Is there something going on that I should know about?
Last edited October 25, 2019 2:33 am
Oct 25, 2019 2:40 pm
"What?" Oleg shouts. "What do you mean? You weren't sent here to... argh!" He throws his hands up in disgust and swears loudly.

"Please," Svetlana begins, "We are having a bit of a... bandit problem. We've sent to Restov for aid, and we naturally assumed that you were... well... please, we have no one else to aid us against these bandits. All that we can offer is free room and board if you will help us."
Oct 25, 2019 2:54 pm
Cassian looks troubled as he hears Oleg's outburst. Quickly recovering though he smiles as Svetlana explains their situation. My dear woman, have no fear. I will gladly help you. The Swordlords do not tolerate banditry in any form. It says so in the charter, thus as their representative in these parts, I'll gladly handle the situation.

Giving Svetlana a reassuring smile, Cassian looks at both her and Oleg. Now please tell me everything about these bandits. That way we can best figure out how to solve this problem.
Last edited October 25, 2019 2:54 pm
Oct 25, 2019 3:58 pm
Svetlana seems relieved to hear you agree to help. Oleg, however, is dubious.

"Their first visit was three months ago.", Svetlana explains. "They threatened to burn down the trading post and take me back to their camp for their amusement if we didn't agree to hand over all our furs and trade goods that we had collected over the past month. Of course, we did give them everything. Since them, they have returned twice more, each time within an hour of sunrise on the first day of the month."

"They seem eager to return to their camp, which makes it seem likely that it is about a day's ride away. The first visit, there were ten of them, led by a cloaked man and a woman who wielded two small hatchets. She did the majority of the talking and she has a very dark sense of humor. It was very frightening, especially when she threatened to cut off Oleg's right hand! They took my wedding ring, as payment for not doing do."

"On the next visit, it was just a crude man and six other men, and the one after that was just him and four others. We think that they believe that they have us cowed. Hopefully, when they visit tomorrow, the woman with the hatchets won't be with them and there will be fewer of them."
Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm
Cassian listens intently to Svetlana as she fills him in on the details about the bandits. At the mention of Svetlana's virtue being used for a night's entertainment, Cassian can feel his face getting red with anger. I swear, by which ever gods are listening, on the morrow so will settle this matter with the bandits. You say that as of late, it's only been the man and about 4 bandits...sounds like they do believe they have you beaten. They are sorely mistaken.

Cassian looks around at the small enclosure through the window of the main room. Since the female hasn't returned, since the first visit, that probably means she's the leader of this so called band. The make that's been here for all of the visits is probably her Lieutenant. If the pattern you mentioned is true, then tomorrow it should be him and 4 bandits, if not less. Indeed, tomorrow your problem will be handled.

Taking a moment to go over a couple quick tactics in his head, Cassian looks at Oleg and Svetlana with a smile on his face. Now, let's go outside and see if we can get a rough idea of what to do in the early morning. In particular, where do you think is the best place to hide until they are inside the palaside? Is there a way to half one half of the palisade door closed? That would limit them coming in, then once they are inside if we can get the other part closed, that would trap them inside.
Last edited October 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Oct 26, 2019 11:59 pm
"My plan was just to lure them in and then have you come out of hiding and kill them," Oleg states plainly, "but I'm not a soldier. I will defer to your judgment and discretion. I'm willing to serve as bait, but only if Svetlana hides in the safety of our bedroom."
Oct 27, 2019 1:38 am
Agreed, that'll work. They see younout and about like usual and it should make them over confident. That will be their fatal error.

Cassian looks over at Svetlana with a serious and yet protective look. You my dear, will stay out of sight until this has been settled. That condition isn't up for negotiation.
Oct 29, 2019 2:04 pm
Svetlana nods her agreement and Oleg says, "Good enough. I'll lure them in." The remainder of the day passes in terse preparations and routine chores. By nightfall, everything is in readiness.

The next morning, about a half-hour after dawn, you take your place in the guesthouse and settle in for a wait. You don't have to wait long, as exactly one hour after the break of day, you hear a gruff voice. "Open up or we’ll start tossing some fire in to speed your asses up!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Oleg shouts back.

You hear the sound of the gate being opened, and several hoofbeats enter the trading post. You can hear the sounds of someone dismounting horses.

"Only three of you today?" Oleg says, loud enough for you to hear and sounding surprised. There is no response. Rather, the bandits immediately set about making crude comments to Svetlana and threats against Oleg.
Oct 29, 2019 2:20 pm
Cassian curbs the anger that's building, and remains calm. Peering through the crack in the door and it's frame, he waits until the bandits are dismounting and full of their bravado.
OOC:
Cassian' s intent is to ambush the bandits as they dismount and at disadvantage.
Oct 31, 2019 8:38 pm
You wait, watching until the moment is right. As the bandits dismount, you launch your attack! There are three bandits; one of which is the leader. You have surprise and a free round of actions.
Oct 31, 2019 8:54 pm
Cassian locates who he assumes is the leader. Launching his attack he sprints from his position and strikes. Starting with a shield bash, he quickly follows up with a sword strike.
OOC:
I forgot to subtract the -2 for Two-Weapon fighting. The final to hit would be a 16, not an 18. Sorry about that.
Last edited October 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Rolls

Attack (Shield Bash) - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Damage (if attack is successful) - (1d3+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Attack (Sword) - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Damage (if attack is successful) - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 1, 2019 2:58 am
If I am right, your sword slash may be a critical. Go ahead and roll to confirm, please, doing the same amount of damage if it is.
Nov 1, 2019 12:48 pm
OOC:
confirm crit

Rolls

Attack (crit confirm) - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Damage (if attack is successful) - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nov 4, 2019 7:56 pm
Your attack catches the leader off-guard and throws him to the ground, unconscious and bleeding. The remaining two bandits look at each other and quickly mount their horses, putting them to the spurs and taking off running. Oleg looks at you in surprise.

"Well, I must say, I didn't expect that! " He moves to the downed bandit. "What should we do with him?" he nudges the body with his foot.
Nov 4, 2019 8:01 pm
Well, we take away any weapons, and equipment. As well as anything of importance. Once that's done and he's secure, we interrogate him. After that, he should face justice for his crimes. Cassian says as he looks down on the bandit with disgust.
Nov 4, 2019 8:37 pm
"Yes," Oleg mutters. "Justice. I'll see his body hanged outside the gate as a warning."
Nov 4, 2019 9:00 pm
Once the bandit is tied up and stripped of anything of value, Cassian waits for the bandit to wake up. Once he's awake, Cassian sets about getting information from him.

Well my friend, you are in quite the spot of trouble. I need to find out everything there is to know about the bandits in this area. If you cooperate, it'll go a long way.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.