MAID the RPG Core Rules

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am
Basic Rules
To accomplish a anything of importance you will roll 1D6 and multiply the result by an attribute. You succeed in the task if you beat the difficulty number. Your six attributes are:

Athletics: Physical ability, combat ability
Affection: How good are you at forming bonds with your master and the other maids?
Skill: How good are you at your maid duties?
Cunning: How capable are you at tricking enemies and other maids, and deceiving the master?
Luck: Just how lucky are you?
Will: How positive and constructive is your thinking?

If your attribute is at 0 then you simply can't succeed at the task using that attribute, but you are allowed to use your other attributes to attack the task at a different angle!

IE: The task at hand is to bake a cake. Keleth the maid decides to throw random ingredients into a bowl and hope for the best, using the Luck attribute. Keleth would roll 1D6 and multiply it by his luck(4). Keleth rolls a 6, so his total is 24. Hot damn, that's a nice cake!
Dec 28, 2015 11:50 am
Combat and Competitions
In this game "combat" happens when characters are literally fighting, or just competing with each other in any form. Regardless of how many maids and NPCs are fighting, every action is simultaneous. The attack power of an action is 1D6 multiplied by the relevant attribute, just like a normal roll.

Whoever scores the highest is the winner of that round of combat, and the opponents are subject to psychological harm in the form of stress. The amount of stress taken is equal to the winner's attack power divided by the opponent's chosen attribute. If the scores are tied then neither side takes damage.

If players are working together, either attacking or defending, their respective attack powers are added together. If the group loses the combat round only one character takes the total stress damage, it's up to the characters to decide who it is.

IE: Keleth and Handle are competing in the cake baking competition. In the last post Keleth got 24 as his attack power. Handle makes a roll with the Cunning(2) attribute, using wits to bake a cake while sabotaging the other cakes. Handle rolls a 4, which means the attack power is 8.

24 > 8

Clearly, Handle has lost the competition and takes damage equal to the winning attack power (24) divided by the attribute Handle used (Cunning 2). Handle suffers the consequences of failing to cheat and takes 12 points of stress damage.

Dec 28, 2015 12:23 pm
Stress and Spirit
Spirit is like a maid's HP and stress is the damage she takes. If you accumulate more stress than spirit you have what is called a 'stress explosion'. Spirit is equal to a maid's Will times 10.

A maid's stress explosion is an activity that a maid MUST take while she is stressed out, and it is decided on a random table during character creation. The player still has full control over the maid, but any actions must fall under the stress explosion activity. The explosion lasts as many real-time minutes* equal to the accumulated stress points. NPC's usually fall unconscious or sometimes die during their stress explosions.

IE: Handle has a spirit of 10 and she just took 12 points of stress damage from losing the cake competition. Because her stress exceed her spirit Handle has a stress explosion, and her stress explosions is 'Alcohol/Drugs'. Handle must now drink alcohol or take drugs until she has calmed down, I'm sure we've all been there before. Handle can still preform any actions that pertain to alcohol or drugs - this could include going out to find more booze or fighting those who are preventing her from obtaining booze!

If a maid wants to avoid a stress explosion, she can choose to avoid taking any stress damage by opting to do whatever the opponent wants. Opting to submit to another character's will is a slippery slope though, there is no telling what the other person is going to make you do.

*Because this is a PbP game I am going to change the stress explosion rule from minutes to half-days. I might change the time span to something else if it turns out to be too annoying.
Dec 28, 2015 12:46 pm
Favor
Whenever the maid's employer or master is pleased, the maids earn Favor. The GM (master) hands out points of Favor to the maid characters whenever he or she feels like it. In particular, points of Favor should go to maids who work hard to serve, assist, or rescue their master. When you earn favor I will ask you to roll dice to see how much you earned (or lost). These points can be spent in the following ways:

Removing Stress: Spend 1 Favor to remove 1 point of Stress.
Raising Attributes: To raise an attribute by 1, spent a number of Favor points equal to the new attribute level desired, times 10.
Roll Bonus: Spend 1D6 Favor to add+1 to either the die roll or your attribute score for one action.
Random Event: Spend 1D6 Favor to have a Random Event occur. Yes there is a random table for this.

The Master
The master is at the heart of the game, and for the maids the most important character in it. The master is an NPC controlled by the GM, and roleplaying him or her is the GM’s responsibility. The master’s job is to command and evaluate the maids. While his actual abilities tend to be lacking compared to his maids, he is the highest authority in the mansion. The maids cannot directly oppose the master or his orders, though they might be able to do so in secret. Also, unlike a normal NPC, the master has a Stress Explosion just like a maid. I get to use random tables as well!

The Mansion
The master’s mansion is the stage on which all of the game’s action occurs, and the game is ill-equipped to handle things that take place outside the mansion. Anything that takes place outside of the mansion is dealt with in the form of quick summaries, with no dice rolls involved. I know it sounds constricting, but the mansion will be more complex that it appears
Dec 28, 2015 12:58 pm
The Maid Uniform Last one, I promise
A maid’s true power lies in her identity as a maid. For this reason, when deprived of her external appearance as a maid, her abilities are reduced. Maid's get penalties to their dice rolls for having damaged uniforms or taking their uniforms off. Take a look at the handy table below:

http://i.imgur.com/mbFXpVO.png

IE: With a damaged apron and skirt, your dice roll of 4 becomes 2
Feb 17, 2016 10:29 am
Play-By-Post Stuff
So a lot of this game involves characters interacting and competing with each other. There's direct competitions, sabotaging, and favor-purchased random events.

Because you are all busy people who live in different time zones, I'm gonna give you about a day to compete/interrupt/fight with another character. If my "about a day" rule is too fast for us then I'll slow it down.

Also, stress explosions are still at half-days in place of minutes.
Feb 21, 2016 1:59 am
Earning Favor (Specifics)
1d3 - Minor, off-camera housework.
1d3 - Doing small favors or goals for the master.
1d4 - Verbally defending the master, stopping something before it becomes a problem.
1d6 - Successfully attending to the master, doing things on the schedule.
2d6 - Creating a intimate or personal atmosphere with the master. This could be any positive atmosphere: romantic, comradery, exploration, friendship, ect.
2d6 - Defending the master from physical harm, accomplishing a mission or goal set by the master.
3d6 - Accomplishing a major goal set by the master.
4d6 - Saving the master's life.

There will be probably be other things you'll get favor for, but this list will be how I basically judge everything.

Thread locked