I'm debating something

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 10, 2019 3:22 am
Hiya everyone. I've been thinking on something, and I want to see what others think and get feedback and suggestions. There is interest from a few people here to do more writing, get better at writing, etc. I had a thought of how to perhaps gamify it. Create a game where there is no official system. Instead, characters would be third person instead of first person. Players would post narratively with a goal of achieving the challenge set by the GM. For example, the GM would write to set the scene. Then tag a player to respond with a challenge of what their narrative response should accomplish. Perhaps no dialogue in the response where players must communicate. Little things that build up skill in more than just "I swing my axe at the orc" kind of thing.

Characters would have a theme or a few words that sum up who they are but nothing crunchy. Not necessarily Fate, though. Just that you need a restriction that prevents a character from having no drawbacks or limitations. As writing happens, the prose can help prove character experience and growth as their story arc develops. Then perhaps more traits or better traits are unlocked. Or leveling might be in the form of deus ex machina type events that players are allowed to write in.

It's a very rough idea, but I'm wondering what people think. If I started this up, then it would be a very slow post rate. I don't want to commit to too much, and the style doesn't lend itself to quick play. I'm not certain how many players would make sense. More or fewer? Start with one or two and grow as we get a flow going?

Thoughts?
Nov 10, 2019 4:03 am
I'm not sure what's so game-y about this idea. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is just collaborative story telling. You say there is no official system, but games inherently have systems.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it needs some more structure to the idea.
Last edited November 10, 2019 4:09 am
Nov 10, 2019 4:28 am
There is a geopolitical game going on where the game master sets up national events and each player writes there country's response.
Nov 10, 2019 4:34 am
Machiabelly says:
There is a geopolitical game going on where the game master sets up national events and each player writes there country's response.
AH, that's interesting. Is it public?
Nov 10, 2019 4:35 am
saevikas says:
I'm not sure what's so game-y about this idea. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is just collaborative story telling. You say there is no official system, but games inherently have systems.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it needs some more structure to the idea.
Gamify as in instead of just creating a writing challenge section, it's actual game with a plot and characters that level etc. I think all TTRPGs can fall under cooperative story telling to some extent, but I understand what you're saying.
Nov 10, 2019 4:41 am
Linus says:
Machiabelly says:
AH, that's interesting. Is it public?
I don't think so. I messaged Falconloft, he runs it. He will probably drop by and tell you more.
Nov 10, 2019 6:22 am
It is public. The game details are HERE. You can stop by and browse the forums and see if it's somethign you'd like to do. There is a bit of system, but only in so much as it keeps everyone on the same page. It usually updates Sunday/Monday, and then you've got all week to post.
Last edited November 10, 2019 6:23 am
Nov 10, 2019 1:27 pm
I think it would be more interesting if you share what theme you have in mind for the game to be about. As for balancing the abilities of the players, maybe the players can make a list of talents and flaws. Also, I'm also playing in the nation game that is mentioned. Its pretty good, and its rules is still being improved through our play.
Last edited November 10, 2019 1:27 pm
Nov 10, 2019 5:03 pm
I don't know why, but when I read this thread's title, the first thing that came into my mind was a game which was basically a big debate, sort of like an interdimensional debate-team or something...
Nov 10, 2019 5:17 pm
Gameifying something usually means rewarding behaviour you want. So for one entirely not thought out process:
0) roll initiative
1) player 1 posts two paragraphs, gets 1 xp, and presents a complication for player 2.
2) player 2 post two paragraphs, gains 1 xp, and presents a complication for player 3.
3) if 48 hours posts without a post from the next player, they move to the bottom of the initiative order.
4) +1 bonus xp if they post inside 24 hours.

As to theme, etc. This could be random rolled, or chosen by player 1

Xp could be used for... not sure. Maybe simply bragging rights
Last edited November 10, 2019 5:18 pm
Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm
http://www.twistedconfessions.com/confessional/index.php?n=Lexicon.HomePage

Here's a certain unique ruleset that focuses on collaboratively making an encyclopedia describing a certain event.
Last edited November 10, 2019 5:30 pm
Nov 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Try this thought on for size. The Gamemaster presents a setting and each of us describes a character to fit the setting. There would be no ability scores or specific descriptors like 'elderly mage who sometimes forgets his spells in the middle of casting.' If you wanted to get that point across, you might describe an encounter in which the character flubbed a spell while he and his partners were seeking the pathway into a ruined temple. I can't say what Linus is thinking but the message that I picked up on was that he's looking more for a complete narrative story rather some punchy dialogue. What follows is an example of something I did about 20 years ago. It's in first person but could easily be modified to third person.

"My friend, the Wizard Azuron, sent me a message by way of his youngest apprentice, Lucien. When I tore the card in half, there was a quick flash that produced a vision of the old mage. In Azuron’s voice the vision said, "Good to see you, my old friend. Meet me at Mama Guri’s two hours before midnight. I have an interesting proposition for you."

As the ghostly image completed its speech, I wondered why Azuron would want to leave his comfortable apartments in the castle for the chill streets of Ulothia. I soon saw his point. Mama Guri’s Inn was close to the walls; Mama was a close friend of ours (she was a retired herbalist and had saved our skins more than once); she had a couple of private dining rooms which were often used for quiet meetings; and there was a secluded atrium in the back.

Since Azuron had some enemies around town, I expected him to show up in disguise if not in some other form altogether. I decided to reach Mama’s before he did so I could try to catch him in his ruse. Mama and I always had a lot to talk about anyway, and it seemed there was never enough time to really get together for a chat.

Before I go on, I should set the record straight. I am writing this journal more as a history for those who follow than as an exercise just to please myself. Not only do I intend to catalogue the days, but, as time permits, I will set down as many stories of my travels, trials and travails as I can remember.

As an orphaned youth I was called Bertie. Not the sort of name a young man could be proud of. It caused me to have to learn early on how to defend myself. It was in the last month of my sixteenth summer that I learned of my parents’ real name for me. I was, and am, Rambert. The "Ram" helped a lot, although it did make me a little hard-headed from time to time.

When I reached manhood and wanted to do business in the community I found I had to have a surname. I felt Mr. Rambert was a little too pretentious for someone who was living on the hard edge of life, barely managing to survive. I had been studying the warrior’s way for about a year and had taken to wearing very dark clothing so it was with little effort than I settled on the surname, Black.

That tells you my name, or at least the name by which I am known. The Maker has yet to divulge to me my true name. He may never do so. What I have become is a very long story and part of what this journal is about.

I have earned the blessing of Knighthood from my liege, King Enoch, although it was given ceremonially rather than as a reward for great deeds. That is not to say that I haven’t performed well and steadfastly for his majesty these many years. I have, and gladly, but I think it was more for the piling up of years than for any one deed.

Enough of me for now. I would tell something of my good friend, the great Wizard, Azuron. He is a gentleman of great years and quite a masterful wizard by current standards. Indeed, he is powerful by any standard, but the Arts just don’t seem to be what they used to. It’s not that the Magic is being lost or forgotten, but rather that fewer seem to taking an interest or showing an aptitude. Perhaps Azuron has discovered something that would explain this.

Azuron had been a boyhood companion of the King’s father and knew the Royal family well. He had been invited as a young man to enter a position at court, but he was more interested in other, more scholarly pursuits. This led him into the arcane arts where he prospered, learning spells of great power and discovering artifacts of unfathomable craft. It was soon after his entry into the halls of magecraft that I met him.

It was not until much later in life that Azuron took the Royal family’s invitation and moved into the Castle. Now he advises King Enoch on matters of the Arts, casts a few spells from time to time, and spends most of his hours with his charges doing research.

It is from his perch as a court wizard that he sends for me to meet with him. His research could take him anywhere, and his position has earned him ill wishes from those who would claim throneright from the King. And there was no dearth of these in the realm. Peace had been undergoing great strains in recent years. Bandits were everywhere; other kingdoms were demanding concessions at the borders; and the Mountain Trolls in the North were becoming more aggressive. Every adult male seemed to have his own idea of what would save the realm.

Under this cloud, I prepared for the meeting with my old friend. Although I didn’t expect any trouble, I thought it advisable to take a few precautions. A simple chain shirt would offer some protection from a poorly thrust blade. Although wearing a weapon openly on the street suggests a certain expectation, I felt it worth the risk and took my prize blade -- Scathe. She would stay on my back in case of certain need while I would defer to my staff for an ordinary defense. And there were still a couple of small missiles on my Necklace in case of a major problem.

I wrapped myself up in a greatcloak that I had picked up in the Northern Mountains during the Troll uprising some twelve years ago. It was still quite serviceable and certainly warm enough. Autumn had set in and, as usual, it was blustery. I half expected a frost by morning. The trees on the manor ground had all changed and a carpet of leaves was being laid upon the lawn.

As I strolled through the grass toward the road I noted absently that the leaves were still fresh, not having had the time yet to dry out and crunch beneath my feet. The thought of those soon-to-be crunching leaves sent me back to the time I had explored the catacombs beneath the ruins of the Citadel of Hanamus II. Hanamus had been the first king who had tamed this region over a thousand years ago. His ruins had been explored many times but no one, to my knowledge, had penetrated the catacombs. There was a chamber somewhere near the end of my trek whose floor was carpeted with the dried husks of long dead beetles. How they perished and had all been placed there in such vast numbers, I’ll never know and will never even begin to guess. It’s just one of those things that you can never quite get out of your mind."
Nov 11, 2019 1:07 am
Qralloq says:
Gameifying something usually means rewarding behaviour you want. So for one entirely not thought out process:
0) roll initiative
1) player 1 posts two paragraphs, gets 1 xp, and presents a complication for player 2.
2) player 2 post two paragraphs, gains 1 xp, and presents a complication for player 3.
3) if 48 hours posts without a post from the next player, they move to the bottom of the initiative order.
4) +1 bonus xp if they post inside 24 hours.

As to theme, etc. This could be random rolled, or chosen by player 1

Xp could be used for... not sure. Maybe simply bragging rights
Not that I was thinking this exact thing, but I think you get what I'm saying with your example. I'm not interested in having just a normal game, and it's clear that generic writer's workshop didn't work. So the idea was to incentivize creative writing with something like a game but without the crunch.
Nov 11, 2019 1:11 am
Aldrusian says:
Try this thought on for size. The Gamemaster presents a setting and each of us describes a character to fit the setting. There would be no ability scores or specific descriptors like 'elderly mage who sometimes forgets his spells in the middle of casting.' If you wanted to get that point across, you might describe an encounter in which the character flubbed a spell while he and his partners were seeking the pathway into a ruined temple. I can't say what Linus is thinking but the message that I picked up on was that he's looking more for a complete narrative story rather some punchy dialogue.
I appreciate you sharing your writing. Thank you. I did have in mind something that was more narrative and not crunchy, and players don't just post "I cast magic missle...at the darkness." I'd prefer to avoid first person though.
Nov 19, 2019 4:06 am
Theres a site called Storium which sounds a little like what you’re talking about. Its pretty much collaborative storytelling with some game mechanics added to it (I think in the form of cards that one can play). Actually, Im going to go back and check it out again, i had kind of forgotten about until this post. :)
Nov 19, 2019 4:59 pm
Thanks KaeJae. I'll check it out. :D
Nov 19, 2019 6:17 pm
This sounds kinda like freeform RP, but maybe with some actual mechanics to help flesh it out.

Right off the bat, the system Chuubo's Magical Wish Granting Machine comes to mind. It's diceless, GMless, and all about collaborative storytelling. I've heard good things, but I've never really looked that deep into it. I've also heard that it's pretty complex yet robust, and really assists in the storytelling aspect of things.

Alternatively, you may find Tenra Bansho Zero to be an excellent system, as it's more like a TV show drama than a normal game system. I've looked into it, but did not find the system to my own liking (and certainly not something I could normally run), but I thought the setting and character archetypes were really nifty.

Good luck!
Nov 21, 2019 4:20 pm
Honestly, it sounds like Roll for Shoes. I'm using a slightly more built up version of it for a game, and it works pretty well.
Nov 21, 2019 7:05 pm
Thanks y'all. I'm going to check the things that have been mentioned. I appreciate the feedback, no doubt. One more reason the community here is a good one. :D
Nov 23, 2019 11:45 am
Just an update, Storium probably comes the closest to what I had in my head. Thanks for that suggestion. I do have to say, however, that Roll for Shoes is the surprise suggestion to come from this thread. I am eager to try out that system at a physical table next time I am able. It just seems so different and fun. Thanks for mentioning that Falconloft!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.