Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Hi ya'll! So I just finished BG2 for at least the 5th time since first experiencing its wonder back in 2000/2001 (Thank goodness for the Enhanced Editions). I'm not sure how many people on this site are familiar with the game. I was in Chapter 5 when I started having the urge to run BG2 as a 5th edition D&D campaign.
It might be a stupid/crazy idea, but I have it and I want to explore it. I have the Dragon magazine that lists out Bhaalspawn abilities and there's a document from Wizards about converting older editions to 5e, so I feel like this idea is feasible. I'm posting this expecting responses such as: this has been done, this can't be done, here are some pointers, etc.
I would think it could make the game much more interesting if all the players were Bhaalspawn, but that isn't a requirement. If no player wanted to be one, then I suppose they could be hunters of Bhaalspawn. That would change things up from the game significantly and reduce potential meta-gaming some (not usually something I worry about).

I understand this idea is incredibly ambitious and would take a significant amount of prep/conversion.
It is exciting though, no?

Curious if anyone is interested in playing this.
Nov 20, 2019 2:53 pm
I love BG2 and if you are willing to convert and DM, I am down.
Nov 20, 2019 2:57 pm
Great to hear! I wonder about the meta-gaming aspect. This is usually something I never think about, but with a video game that's been out for almost 20 years, I wonder if this will mean everyone willing to join will have already played the game and if that will affect things poorly? I might just be worrying for no reason.
Nov 20, 2019 3:00 pm
I'm pretty good about acting as my character would and not meta-gaming. Not everyone is though. Plus, while you can create your game based on BG2, it doesn't have to be exact, especially if multiple characters are Bhaalspawn.
Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm
Excellent point. I'll not worry about that. Yes, if multiple players wish to be Bhaalspawn, then it could get very different.
Nov 20, 2019 3:15 pm
Plus if you had access to Descent into Avernus, you could probably easily combine the two campaigns.
Nov 20, 2019 3:51 pm
I've often had this very same thought about BG1, but never had the courage to make it happen. I've been considering running something like that in Pathfinder 2e...

Best of luck to you!
Nov 20, 2019 4:01 pm
I could see this working if you kept the premise but did your own twist on the plot. Like, roleplaying having weird dreams and slowly coming to realize the you're a Bhaalspawn could be fun, but blindly walking into Irenicus's traps might not be.
Nov 20, 2019 4:01 pm
Naatkinson says:
I've often had this very same thought about BG1, but never had the courage to make it happen. I've been considering running something like that in Pathfinder 2e...

Best of luck to you!
Thanks!
Nov 20, 2019 4:02 pm
theeyetyrant says:
Plus if you had access to Descent into Avernus, you could probably easily combine the two campaigns.
I hadn't planned on buying that yet, but it's a thought.
Nov 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Kaigen says:
I could see this working if you kept the premise but did your own twist on the plot. Like, roleplaying having weird dreams and slowly coming to realize the you're a Bhaalspawn could be fun, but blindly walking into Irenicus's traps might not be.
Excellent point. Thanks! I'll have to thinking about that
Nov 21, 2019 5:01 pm
So far I see only 1 "yes, I'll play" so I'll continue working on my notes in order to better run this. Of course if enough people wish to play this, I'll be willing to run it. I'll be watching this thread.
Nov 21, 2019 9:41 pm
I was just looking at getting BG1 and BG2 for my Xbox, never finished BG2 so could easily avoid meta-gaming 😆
Nov 21, 2019 11:22 pm
I'd be interested in giving it a go.
Nov 22, 2019 9:39 pm
I...haven't played Baldur's Gate before, but I'd be interested if you needed people
Nov 23, 2019 3:14 am
Oh wow ok that's 4 players interested. Ok I can start the game and we can discuss how we want to do this. I should be able to get that started tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Nov 23, 2019 3:45 am
I also haven't played the game, but I'd be game to get involved if you need a fifth.
Nov 23, 2019 5:29 pm
I'm good with up to 6 players, just like the video game.
Nov 23, 2019 7:19 pm
unique_exemplar says:
I'm good with up to 6 players, just like the video game.
Great, count me in.
Nov 23, 2019 9:38 pm
Game forum is created and invites sent out.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.