The Spiram of the Seer

Jan 4, 2016 11:11 pm
The group of you has left the clearing by the overlook and come to the base of The Spiram. The fight with Chaig, though short, has caused a delay. You come out of the trees to see a sight that may be new to some of you. The Spiram Appears to be a large rock formation jutting out of the ground right on the shore. It looks all the world like an arm & hand reaching out of the ground toward some distant star. It stands a hundred or more feet in the air from base to tip of its finger. The forearm is twisted around itself several times to give it the appearance of a spiral. It may have been a beautiful piece of artwork from in a previous age, but time and tide have not been kind to it. It is pitted and worn and oxidized by the sea salt. Some earth has managed to cling to it however and it is partially overgrown by grasses, wild flowers and scrubby trees.

A few participants of the Rite circle the base of the structure, looking for a way up. You cannot see a pathway to the top. You have heard that petitioners of the Seer are either met at the base or whisked to the top through some unknown method. You can see a small hut built just below the first knuckle on the first finger. Standing on the tip of the first finger is the Seer. You can feel his gaze as a weight upon you, though why this feeling has come upon you your cannot say because it is clear he has his back to you.

http://www.bergting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Screen-Shot-2014-03-08-at-13.43.29-300x402.png

He turns then and does glance down at all the participants before moving slowly back to his home.

:::If you like you may use your Recovery Action to heal 1d6+1 to your trait pools. The +1 is your current Tier. You will have another chance to heal once you are at the top of the Spiram, but you have a climb ahead of you. You will have time to use another healing action at the top also, if you don't want to use the Action healing right now.:::
Jan 5, 2016 1:17 pm
Looking around Pha relaxes his breathing his body reverting back to normal as he takes account of the area and looks up.
(OoC: I'm assuming this took over 10 minutes to get here)

Rolls

Recovery Roll (1 Action marker) +1 from Tough - (1d6+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Jan 5, 2016 1:50 pm
Galen looks at the spire and closes his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. He focuses on the task to come and centers himself before smiling, he relishes the challenge.

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Jan 5, 2016 5:06 pm
Seeing everyone else pause and take a moment, the normally restless Yaru does the same. He manages to calm and focus himself somewhat, but doesn't meet the kind of success his friend does -- which is not atypical.
Last edited January 5, 2016 5:07 pm

Rolls

Recovery - will I be the 1? - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 5, 2016 5:24 pm
Carrick eyed The Spiram. It was so different looking at it from land. Had he tried, he would have lost count of the times he had sailed past it, and while it had captured his attention the first few times, it had quickly faded to the background as just another navigational waypoint. He stared at the spirals that worked their way up the side of the monolith and looked for a likely route. Spotting one that looked promising, he committed it to memory. Noticing that the others had paused to catch their breaths, he quietly slipped away, hoping to gain a bit of a lead before anyone noticed.

He scampered to the base where he would attempt his climb, and pulled the small, blue pill his father had given him out of his pocket. He remembered his father's words, Take this, I've held onto it for a while, waiting for the right time to use it. Chances are you'll find the right opportunity during the Rite, and I want you to have it. I don't know exactly what it does, but when whatever you face is too daunting, swallow it. Holding it in his hand, he looked at it dubiously then popped it in his mouth and swallowed. Almost immediately, he felt a surge of acuity, strength, and agility surge through his body, and he looked again at his plotted course with a new-found confidence.

OOC: I'm activating my Stim Cypher, which reduces the difficulty of my next action by 3 steps.
Jan 5, 2016 7:32 pm
Kveit eyes the Spiram. She has seen it before in her explorations, but is looking at it now with a new eye: how can she get up there? As she stares, her nanite-mechanical arms and legs ripple like water a stone has been dropped into. Her tail twitches in anticipation...

Due to my Fuses Flesh with Steel focus, the "first 5 points of damage can only be healed with repairs". Are points taken away from ability pools for expending effort considered "damage"? Do I need to make a repair skill check to heal?
Last edited January 5, 2016 7:36 pm

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jan 6, 2016 5:33 am
Friar_Tuk says:
Kveit eyes the Spiram. She has seen it before in her explorations, but is looking at it now with a new eye: how can she get up there? As she stares, her nanite-mechanical arms and legs ripple like water a stone has been dropped into. Her tail twitches in anticipation...

Due to my Fuses Flesh with Steel focus, the "first 5 points of damage can only be healed with repairs". Are points taken away from ability pools for expending effort considered "damage"? Do I need to make a repair skill check to heal?
Yes, "damage" is any missing points from the three pools. Effort and activating powers is tapping your "energy reserves" just as dodging and attacking in combat would. You do need to make a repair roll. I think a Difficulty 3(9), anyone can assist and act as an asset, and you can have 2 assets per check. Basically you would be directing the work, so with your repair skill, if you as for help from 2 people, it will be a 0 Difficulty.
Jan 6, 2016 3:12 pm
Pha finally takes the baskets hooked on his arm off and breathes his arms and legs shifting and his bones begin to crack. Pha now a bit taller was lanker as he refixed his basket with the egg in it to his chest pulling his shirt over it. Looking up he points a hooked talon at the tree, "Yaru... when do think we should start climbing up... now?" Pha asked.

(Sculpting Flesh Modified - Pha Sloth Form? -3 Int +1 Int Edge)
Jan 6, 2016 6:00 pm
Yaru sighs. "Climbing this is not going to be fun." Looking at his slightly-modified friend he shrugs, "I guess we may as well. Though, I do wonder if there's another way in or up." Yaru will slowly circle the base of the Spiram and both look for and magically seek out anything that may draw him to a cypher or other mechanic that either lets him in or enables him to be levitated to the top, as people have suggested can happen.
Jan 7, 2016 2:39 am
:::Sorry gang, forgot to post this earlier. The Difficulty for the Climb is 4(12). Carrick, your Difficulty is 1(3) because of your Cypher use. Yaru, feel free to make an Intellect roll...the difficulty will be 6(18) as the Seer is very secretive. You can sense the presence of 'magical' energy but nothing jumps out at you without some searching.:::
Jan 7, 2016 3:09 am
Ok -- since I'm specialized in Identifying or Understanding Numenera -- can I whack the difficulty 2 steps with that asset?
Jan 7, 2016 4:44 am
falryx says:
Ok -- since I'm specialized in Identifying or Understanding Numenera -- can I whack the difficulty 2 steps with that asset?
Yep.
Jan 7, 2016 5:01 am
Galen smiles, relishing the challenge before taking off and rushing forward to climb the Spiram.

Trained in climbing so I will reduce difficulty to 3, and I'll spend 4 points (5-1 from edge) to reduce the difficulty to 1

Edit: Ugh, seriously? Lol and I had spent a lot of time arguing with myself about taking it down to a 0

Edit 2: Spending 1 XP to reroll
Last edited January 7, 2016 2:09 pm

Rolls

Climb vs 3 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Climb vs 3 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 7, 2016 5:02 am
Yaru concentrates, examing the Spiram carefully. Climbing the thing seems like a lost cause for him, so he's better off applying his brain to the problem than his brawn.

2 assets + 1 level of intellect effort (2 intellect + 1 edge)

Rolls

Unlocking the secrets of the Spiram (vs. 9) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jan 7, 2016 1:41 pm
"I figure part of the Rite is thinking and figuring out for yourself how to get from one point to another..." replied before Yaru went to investigating things. Pha shambled over his form now not the best for walking around casually and poked the 'obstacle' and looked around before he tried to start up.

Edit: I'd like to use an XP (Not use if we have 3 total awarded so far or not) to reroll
Last edited January 7, 2016 1:45 pm

Rolls

Climb Task 4 (Down one step for the Modded body asset to climbing) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Climbing with a reroll still L3 overall - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 7, 2016 6:55 pm
Kveit grins after Galen, turns to Carrick and says, "C'mon, this'll be fun." She runs forward gracefully.

Reduce difficulty by 1, so rolling vs. lvl 3.

Ugh, I can't catch a break in this game with the dice. Spending an XP to reroll.
Last edited January 7, 2016 6:56 pm

Rolls

Climb - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Climb (reroll) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jan 7, 2016 8:06 pm
Carrick began climbing. He was delighted to find the going much easier than he had thought it would be. Either he had found a perfect route or the pill had really bolstered his abilities, he wasn't entirely sure, but he scrambled up the monument easily.

Rolls

Climbing up the Spiram - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 9, 2016 7:34 pm
Carrick begins his climb. His body practically tingles under the affect of the stim pill he took. His muscles don't seem to feel the weight of his body as they pull him from one level to the next. His senses tell him more about the world around him than he could ever imagine was there to know. He sees insects working to stock food for the coming winter. He can hear them digging under the earth. It would overwhelm him, if the cypher didn't also increase his ability to focus and immediately dismiss distractions. As it is however the path before him practically jumps out to make itself known to him.

Galen and Kveit begin their climb, they follow Carrick as he seems to have made some kind of sense out of the difficult climb. At one point they come to an overhang however and all three of them are stopped in their accent. Kveit however realizes she is at an advantage in this instance and uses her own deformity to cling to the rock while she sends her nanos out to grab the next hand hold while Galen looks the other way for path. From the ledge above she could reach down and assist either of the boys who have made it this far.

Far below this activity Pha struggles to find his own way up the Spiram. Meanwhile, Yaru has uncovered something interesting. There is some kind of devise hidden at the base of the Spiram. There is a strange glass panel with runes that Yaru cannot fully decipher. From what he can read, this device can transport individuals from the base of the Spiram to the top. Likely this is the source of the tales. It has a relatively short range and must have an appropriately attuned target devise within range in order to work. Each time it is used it needs to recharge, which takes a few hours. Yaru sees that the device is ready and that he could transport to the top of the Spiram right now. Or he could try and reconfigure the device to take more than one person.

:::I'm going to use my first GM Fiat(s) here. Normally I would save this for when it would be interesting to see someone fail a roll, but I think we have a couple opportunities here to develop some character. So... Friar_Tuk and Farlyx, I extend the offer of 1 XP for you and 1 XP for another player of your choice if your characters give in to their competitive side and make their way to the top without the need of another check. If you refuse you have to pay me off with an XP.
Jan 11, 2016 2:34 pm
foolsmask says:
:::I'm going to use my first GM Fiat(s) here. Normally I would save this for when it would be interesting to see someone fail a roll, but I think we have a couple opportunities here to develop some character. So... Friar_Tuk and Farlyx, I extend the offer of 1 XP for you and 1 XP for another player of your choice if your characters give in to their competitive side and make their way to the top without the need of another check. If you refuse you have to pay me off with an XP.
OOC: Can you elaborate a little bit? I read this as you saying if we head to the top ditching the others, we get XP. Is that correct?
Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm
Remnant says:
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
No, I get that part. I'm confused as to what part of this is a "complication". I just want to make sure I understand our GM's intent before I make my decision.
Jan 11, 2016 3:53 pm
OoC: Ah from my perspective, help your friends or move ahead on your own it might cause it to be more difficult for your friends to move forward, this is considered a competitive race for some so I think it's still in scope.
Jan 11, 2016 4:13 pm
:::check the Questions and Chatter thread for my explanation, but yes Remnant has some of it there.:::
Jan 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Kveit pulls herself up onto the ledge above Carrick and Galen, both her friends. She looks down at them. This is a race. All the village expects you to fail...you're a freak, and the youngest in the race... A fire of defiance begins to take hold.

She spots a small crack in the spire, one which is not visible from Galen and Carrick's perspective. She points to this area saying, "I'm going on. There's a crack here you can't see. Galen, you should be able to reach it." She grins wickedly, "Catch me if you can boys!" Then turns and begins climbing like a monkey, using her nanite hands and feet to grip tiny cracks and ledges someone with normal fingers and toes wouldn't be able to use.

OOC: Mechanically: I'm taking the XP, and passing the other XP to Galen.
Jan 14, 2016 3:58 am
Yaru -- although an outsider and somewhat of a loner -- nonetheless values the core connections of his life. That of his brother, Gashe and one of his few true friends, Pha. Pha has been important in helping Yaru better understand his own abilities, so mumbles, "Pha, I think I have something here..."

He then looks up and looks around for his friend, calling out to his friend, "Hey Pha! If you want, I can see if I can either get this to take us both up -- or maybe I can send you up and recharge it and come up afterwards. I don't need to be first, I just need to complete the Rite, that's all."

OOC: Yaru will spend one of his XP to aid his friend.
Jan 14, 2016 1:14 pm
Unuse to the form his body was in Pha didn't seem to be able to use the modificatioin to his body the way he wanted to. Climbing down didn't take that long due to the lack of proccess. Listeing to Yaru in detail as he explained Pha thought, "I think together would be better, in the unlikely event something happens I can jump off and find something to hold onto easily enough. If it looks like it would fall you can just latch onto me and we can make it from there. It would be farther than we currently have progressed." Pha reasoned.

(OoC: If I can assist somehow I will in the task)
Jan 14, 2016 2:54 pm
Remnant says:
(OoC: If I can assist somehow I will in the task)[/color]
:::Because he is trained in Numenra Pha can assist and reduce the difficulty by 1. So Yaru has a Difficulty 5(15) check in front of him. That is the unmodified number. I see a reduction of three, 2 from Yaru's specialty in Understanding Numenera and 1 asset from Pha's help. Although now that I look at your sheet, there is the Datasphere Siphon. That has the ability to answer any one question...so that could be handy. As in...giving you the exact answer and negating the need for the roll.
Jan 15, 2016 9:52 pm
Carrick was happy the potential path he had seen was working out so well. He thought he had been making good time when he heard Kveit's voice from above call for him to catch up. He gave a low growl in his frustration before throwing himself against the Spiram again, recklessly trying to regain his lead.

OOC: Whoops - typo in the die selection
Last edited January 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Rolls

Climb check - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Climb check (d20 this time!) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jan 15, 2016 9:55 pm
"I'm pretty sure the two of us can make this work," Yaru states and he starts pointing at various places, tracing the thing line of detected numenera. "With it reconfigured, it should be able to lift us both upwards -- and if it shows any kind of power degradation I can likely charge it..." he pokes and prods the device.

Rolls

Spending 2 Intellect + 1 Edge for 1 effort, +3 assets vs Rank 5 (now 1) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 15, 2016 10:03 pm
Galen shouts to Kveit, truly happy that his friend is doing so well, "Keep moving! I'll catch up!" He then continues the climb, focusing intently on putting one hand down perfectly, then the other.

Assuming Difficulty 4 again? Reduced by 1 for training in climbing, and again for effort

Can I count Kveit's pointer to the best place to begin my climb as an asset? If so it's a difficulty 1 and I pass, otherwise I think I failed.
Last edited January 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Rolls

Climbing vs Difficulty 2 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jan 16, 2016 3:44 am
Yaru and Pha make the adjustments to the numenera device, and hope they have interpreted the strange runes properly. When Yaru engages the activation controls, a high pitched buzzing noise fills their ears. The noise is perhaps distracting but not painful to their ears. Then they feel sensation of electricity dancing across their skin. They look down to see their feet dissolve. Then the hair on their heads feels like it is rising up. The sensation washes over them proceeding to their middle. Looking at each other they can see the other person vanishing before them, then the world vanishes too. The void rushes by in a swirl of colors to numerous to name, nearly to fast to discern one from the other. Then the world is back, though they are not where they were. ::: Yaru and Pha earn 1XP for discovering the secrets of the teleportation device:::

Yaru and Pha can tell immediately that they are standing at the top of the Spiram, in the "palm" under an open walled thatch roof structure. Walking toward them is Kviet who appears to have just finished her climb as she pants a little from the exertion of effort. A minute later Carrick makes his way to the top. He is strides over looking as though the climb was as simple as a walk in the park.

The area under the thatch canopy is covered with plush rugs and pillows. The area seems perfecty sized to allow all the participants to gather underneath it. When the four have gathered in the center of the palm the Seer reappears outside the hut perched on the end of the finger. He strides toward the gathered youths with a careful and measured step, nearly dancing toward you. Before he gets there Galen and Triat finish their climb. They are scraped and smudged with dirt, but they have made it. :::Galen, lose two Might for the failure to climb. Triat owes me two climb rolls. Failure costs the two Might:::

The Seer stops and waits at the bottom of the finger as more and more participants reach the summit. The breeze up here is chilled, though not unpleasant. It is heavy with the scent of the sea below. The other youths cluster with the other participants that they know in small groups. Once a majority of the people you all saw set forth from the village arrive the Seer approaches. Once under the roof he raises a hand and speaks, "Greetings, all of you are to be commended. You have performed well and should find pride in completing that challenge. Now please be seated. I have much to say and we should all be comfortable while I say it."

He walks over to a pile of cushions and moves one revealing a large box. He taps it and the lid slides off. An shiny metal orb rises up out of the box. It is marked with a black oval, the red light coming from within makes it look like an eye. "Dispense the kaja please, Teekle." The orb spins, rotating vertically, and stops when it's 'eye' is centered again. A fist sized whole appears under the eye and a small translucent white synth cup is extended toward the Seer. He accepts it and then a second arm replaces the first. The second arm has a tube mounted on it and it extrudes an opaque vigorously bubbling blue liquid. The Seer takes his cup and sits on the pile of large cushions next to the box Teekle appeared from. The orb makes its way over to your group first and gives each of you a cup of kaja.

The cup was an even temperature when you first got it, but after the kaja is placed within, it cools rapidly. Teekle must be keeping the drink chilled. The drink is very aromatic smelling of citrus. The smell is also sharp, it causes a tingle in your nose. As the bubbles slightly subside you look at the smooth surface of the beverage and see a dull reflection. Whatever this liquid is made of it absorbs more light than water. The consistency of the liquid seems on par with water. It does not cling or leave a trace of itself on the sides of the cup. The bubbles rise to the surface and pop with an inconsistent but fast pace, where they originate from is a mystery. The flavor of the drink is just as strong as the aroma. You feel a slight burning as the chilled liquid hits your tongue and back of your throat. It is a gentle sensation though, and not something to distress over. The taste of the drink matches the smell, citrus fruits being the primary flavor.

The Seer waits for you all to take a seat before he begins speaking. [b]"It is my duty to inform all of you that a until this point in your lives, you have been deceived. Every person you know who has completed the Rite of Ascension has been lying to you about it's true purpose. This lie was not meant to harm you, but to preserve the innocence of youth. Your parent's and caretakers wanted to allow you what joys and sorrows you might find in your own way, without the burden of the what was believed to be coming in your future."

"You all are aware of the mountains to the south that close this land off from the rest of the world. What you do not know is that high among the clouds and peaks of those mountains live the Timermen. The Timermen are a secretive society, and true masters of this world. Far beyond the southern mountains people call themselves queens, and emperors, and warlords, but all bow to the Timermen in the end. Within their mountain fortresses, the Timermen plot and scheme the fate of all the lands. They control access to the wonders of this world and hoard great and powerful numenera, magic and machines that could sunder the earth and leave it barren and lifeless, or launch us into a new age of discovery like the old worlds of legend. Some among their numbers claim they serve mankind and protect it from itself, but even if that was their original purpose, they have become corrupt and petty in the execution of their office."

"However, the Timermen have enslaved this land. They contained it and kept it to exploit to their own ends. The ancient histories that I maintain here at the Spiram say that in the past it was considered an honor to be chosen to serve them. But as they became more corrupt, tales of depravities and cruelties visited upon our people came back to us. Fewer and fewer of our people chose to serve. But as their indolence grew, so did the demand for more and more servants. When none would come willingly, our masters came to take us forcefully. They brought their most devastating technology against us, it was all we could do to hold on and survive. Once this land was dotted with villages. Thousands of people living lives of peace and relative tranquility. In a few short years we had been reduced to a single aldiea. In the end an accord was reached. The Timermen would come and take their pick of the children most recently come of age, and only those children. A Timerman representative would come to live among the people and serve as The Seer, to record the passage of time and determine who was of age. Annually, a group of Timermen would come to the village and choose who to take as slaves."

"This went on for generations. Then I was chosen from among the Timermen to serve as Seer. I was born in Uncegilla Cove and taken as a servant. Through guile and deceit I was raised to become a member of their society. Once I was promoted high enough, I assassinated the old Seer and managed took his place. Once I became Seer I began to save those that I could from the cruel fate I had suffered. But I could not keep everyone. I decided to save the best and most worthy. Those that failed the test were sent to serve. That all started over 60 years ago."

"Twenty years ago the Timermen seemed to vanish. I lost all contact with them. Even my own transport pad, that young Masters Yaru and Pha found would no longer take me to the fortress. I traveled to the mountains myself and found the foot paths blocked and covered up to make them impassable. For 20 seasons, we have lost none of our youth to the predilections of these tyrants, and it has been wonderful. Still, we, the elders of Uncegilla Cove and myself, have kept the Rite and it's purpose secret, in case the Timermen ever returned."
The Seer rises and faces due South. As you all look the mountains peeks can just be seen over the trees. Surrounding them are the same dark storm clouds.

"Those storms are a sign from the Timermen. They have finally returned as I feared they would. I do not know what kept them locked away in their towers for so long, but our time of peace is at an end. I can hide you, all of you, here in the Spiram. You will not suffer at the hands of the Timermen. You will free and prosperous lives of your own choosing. Free of the yoke of pain and torture that I was forced to bare. Your children however will not be so lucky. I had hoped to be the last Seer of Uncegilla Cove. It is likely that the people of the Cove will fight back. They have been left free for to long to just accept the return of the Timermen. I had hoped that the Timermen were gone forever, a wound from a passing age, healed by the passage of time. But it seems my hopes are not to be." Lightning bolts streak out of the clouds surrounding the mountains. The faintest echos of the accompanying thunder reach your ears some time later. The mountains should be to far away, but perhaps the clear, unobstructed air carries the sound further. The deathly quiet that has come upon the gathered youth helps.

"Come, we must get you all into the Spiram to hide you from the Collectors." The Seer gives his cup back to Teekle and the orb makes it disappear into its body. It then begins flying around and plucking the others' cups out of their hands or off the ground beside them. It takes a moment before the first youth moves or says anything. A murmur grows quickly as they turn and ask each other what they should do. Soon they begin to line up.

:::Everyone gets 2XP for making it to the tope of the Spiram and learning the secret history of Uncegilla Cove. You are now free to decide what to do next. You can hide which is what most of the Rite participants are choosing to do, or you can go defend your home and your people. Or something else I haven't considered...whatever makes sense for your character.:::
Jan 16, 2016 6:37 am
Galen listens in horror as the Seer reveals the dark secret behind the rite. His horror turns to shock and anger as these people that he grew up with prepare to abandon their village. He snarls and draws Reaver from the sheath on his back before hopping onto the nearest table and yelling at the top of his voice, "You should all be ashamed! Just like that you're all ready to abandon your homes, your families, friends and lives... It sickens me that you're all such cowards. I, for one, would rather die or be enslaved than live with the shame that I left my home to the Timermen's mercy. What do you all think will happen to our loved ones when they find out that they've hidden us all away? There will be a slaughter. Our whole aldea will fall under their feet while you hide here, safe in the Spiram while your loved ones are killed... Or worse. You can come with me. We can take up arms and defend our homes. We can fight back, and live or die in the knowledge that we did our duty to the home that's been so good to us all. I'll leave that up to you though."

With that he looks down from his perch to see their reaction...

Galen is not normally so outspoken, but he is driven by his need to do what he can to defend the Aldea. He was raised by an honorable warrior to have a strong sense of right vs wrong. And this just seems so very wrong to him.
Last edited January 16, 2016 6:38 am
Jan 16, 2016 2:23 pm
Pha pays attention to the details told and thinks for a bit... The looks of the adults at orphans and why they were tolerated originally made sense... they were another source of recruits for the Timermen. Possibly over time without the use for them they seemed more of a burden, or a reminder of how they had view things in the older times. The fact little was done when village children picked fights with orphans and it was overlooked in a way made sense... dealing with the secrets they knew little spouts seemed to have been over looked until in one occasions things went too far.

Pha was in pondering on what he should do when Galen spoke up... he thought about this as well before he stood.

"In a way I kind agree with this one... in others I don't... Not everyone knows how to fight well enough to defend and protect... some just don't want to kill someone else. People who aren't good at fighting not wanting to fight doesn't make them cowards... it makes them smart. There is no point in fighting to protect something if by fighting you ensure there is little chance of a future. If you die or are enslaved you are of no use to your family in the future... I don't mean your current family I mean what becomes of them and their offspring in the future. At the moment it might be brave to stand up but in the long run the Timermen will leave this village scarred and open up old wounds again... The village isn't always good to everyone but in the very least some do not have the views of all...

While I agree Bullies need to be punched in the face the ones coming to the village are probably not the leaders only those following what the leader or leaders drive them here to do. If you really want to fight back... we don't fight for the village this one time, we find out where the Timermen are going back to and where their leader is... we find out why they do these things... and we stop them. Bullies you have seen first hand sometimes lash out... once the leaders fall those following usually scatter.

Besides if you want to defend the village they'll have most of the children, some of the craftsmen, and fishermen stay in hiding in the unlikely event everyone on a defending force dies... they're not going to kill everyone they see if the cases remain the same as before they'll take some back. Ultimately we need to find out where back is more than anything else."
Pha stated.

I should have kept some of that fruit to go with this drink... Pha thinks to himself finishing the drink provided.

OoC: Pha although extremely in stating the black and white suggests some will die, probably good men and women defending the community and the people, hide away who can be for the village's future but ultimately someone needs to find out where the Timermen are now and hinder them from coming back for the next several generations. This falls under the something else.
Last edited January 16, 2016 2:25 pm
Jan 18, 2016 2:45 am
Carrick sat there stunned as the Seer revealed the truth of their little village. His first thought was of his father and the others who had hid this knowledge from him, and he began to get angry. Then he thought of Kylia and fear gripped his heart. He didn't want this for her. He didn't want this for their future or for their potential kids' futures. But if he fought for a life of freedom, it might mean that he wouldn't any future with her. He closed his eyes, but that didn't stop the tears as they began to stream down his cheeks. His future as he could see it held little joy or hope. Instead it seemed fraught with despair and death. But he grasped that spark of hope that came with the others' ideas. They were a small light in the darkness that he held tightly onto.

He wiped his face and looked up, a cool blue light emanating from his eyes. He quietly said, "I will fight. Pha, I will go with you and march straight into the jaws of hell if I have to and fight to protect our families, our friends, our futures. Though we may not return, I would rather give my life in the attempt than cower here and watch those I love be torn from me!"
Jan 18, 2016 3:57 am
Yaru observes and listens, blown away by the story told by the Seer. In time he agrees with his friend, "Pha is right. It seems like the way to get to the bottom of this is to go there," he points to the clouded mountains to the south, "and see what can be done. The Seer managed to move from slave to Seer. Perhaps we should give ourselves over to these Timermen and use our position within the home of the enemy to figure out how to do something about it?" He thinks, "Though we may want to talk to the Seer more if we're to do that. Otherwise, perhaps we can follow them home and... " he shrugs, "do something. I'm not sure a fight in the village -- especially one we win, would help us in the end. If we throw them off, aren't they liable to send something stronger and meaner?"
Jan 18, 2016 5:02 am
Kveit listens to the words of the Seer...and somehow feels that many things left unsaid in her life make sense. Especially Mama Zifnaby's cryptic hints and dark portents. She listens to Pha, Carrick, Galen and Yaru. Her brow furrows as she concentrates.

She looks down at her mysterious nano hands...wonders about the object she found in that cave...From them? Something of the Timmermen, left in that cave on purpose or by accident. Why was I chosen so young to join the Rite? She looks at the Seeker, as if trying to read his mind.

"I do not know what hope we have against these Timmermen. But I will not hide like a rat in the Spiram." She looks at Pha and Yaru, who she's seen around, but doesn't know personally. She looks at Galen, at his fierce determination. Her gaze rests longest on Carrick, at the tears in his eyes, and know he is thinking about his future children...There'll be no children for me. No future but that which I make for myself. I'll not die a freak of nature!

Kveit stands, says, "I will travel to the Timmermen, either as offering or pilgram. Alone," her eyes shift to Pha and Yaru, "Or with any others who wish to fight these Timmermen. I'll not cower in fear, nor await their convenience."

She stares defiantly around the room, a teenage girl, now a woman by the law of the land, with dull metal arms and legs, bone spurs projecting from the elbows and knees. The light reflects oddly on her leathery, scaly skin and her tail twitches behind her.

Her fists are clenched at her side. Mama knows. She knows something. I must speak with her.
Jan 18, 2016 5:29 pm
The Seer waves a hand and reveals a hidden stairway leading down into the Spiram. Many of the Rite participants hesitate, hearing the words you offer, but one by one you can see their resolve break as they move to enter the sanctuary.

A young woman, Teela some of you recall, stops. She takes the hand of another participant and pulls her to a stop. Teela looks at you with tears in her eyes, her companion can't seem to muster the courage. "Our parents, they sent us here knowing what might come today. They are ready for whatever wrath these Timmermen have." She stumbles a little over the unfamiliar name. "We hide now to preserve the future as our people always have."
Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm
While the others make their way below, the Seer pulls the five (/six) of you aside. "My roll as Seer gives me access to amazing secrets. I foresaw a day when the Timmermen would return. I could never pinpoint the year it would happen. What I did know was that when the black storm clouds appeared, I would also discover the identities of those that would choose the path that all of our futures would take. Beyond this point there are to many possibilities to predict. Do what you feel is best, for it will impact all of our fates."
Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm
Pha nods pointing out, "We need to see how they travel if we're going to chase them and how they fight so we don't get ourselves killed."
Jan 19, 2016 2:17 am
Carrick looked at Pha, "Do you think you and Yaru could fix that 'transport pad' so it's working again? Seems to me that'd be the easiest way to find where they're at."
Jan 19, 2016 5:08 pm
"They will likely travel to the town upon their Skymounts, artifacts that fly through the air like a ship upon the sea. If they do not deviate from tradition they will send a large one to carry the slaves, and several personal craft to carry the Timmermen. It is likely that they will try to show strength and send a full delegation, that would mean 10 Timmermen. Two on the transport craft and eight on personal craft."

He turns to look at Carrick, "As to the teleportation device, I do not know why it ceased functioning. I have tried many times to get it take me back to the Timmerman fortress, but it will not. It will only work if there are two functioning devices and you know the destination codes for where you are going and where you are at. I can provide you all the information I have on them. I can only assume the fortresses device has been damaged or was powered down for some reason. Either way, the only way to make use of it is to be in the Timmerman fortress.

A rumble of thunder draws your attention to the south. It is at difficult to be sure what you are seeing at first, but it seems a small group of the black clouds has broken away from the large mass surrounding the mountains. Lightning seems to be arcing back and forth from a large cloud formation to several small ones that circle around it. "The Skymounts have been dispatched. They will arrive in the town soon. I must make my way to the village to greet them, or they will suspect trouble. You must make a decision soon."
Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm
Galen looks to his friends and smiles, "Only ten of them? I like the odds here. Once we beat them here we can head to their fortress and take care of this once and for all."
Last edited January 19, 2016 5:16 pm
Jan 20, 2016 12:03 pm
Pha chews his lip hearing the latest of the news from the Seer. His hands long since reverting back to normal run across his face palms first coming together in front of him palms together as he thinks. "I think the Seer is right in that the destination on the other side doesn't work because the other teleport device is broken or purposely powered down... If we can get the code it might be useful later on if we find another teleport device to get someone back to give the village information.
If the Seer goes to talk to them hopefully we can move during the distraction or worst case if a fight ensues."
he states before shaking his head, "It may be only ten but that is the number they send to quill the village after so long when they likely know there will be resistance, they're either overconfident or measure on a different scale to normal people... I think we need to move carefully, facing them headlong in a fight ourselves isn't the best of options and you’ve seen firsthand someone with numbers on their side doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the greater threat. Us starting a fight will force the villagers hand in what they do, we have no idea if they’ll try and resolve things peacefully with the Timermen or try and keep casualties to a minimum for the village at this point. It'd be great if some of their numbers died in a battle but at the cost of how many from the village? Best case I would hope we could sabotage the larger transport craft with the help of some from the village maybe, that will slow down whoever they take back or at least let us know that among the one’s they bring on these kinds of meetings that are smart enough to fix things. Worse case a battle will erupt in the village with half or more of the village slain or injured. I do agree though if the villagers start a fight and we see an opportunity where one of the Timermen is injured if a fight breaks out we should try and isolate him and take him down, his craft will be useful in following the others back."

Pha knows the Seer has little time but he’ll see if he will let them know of the device’s code here and let him be on their way, they’d need to figure out where they wanted to be when this all went down as well… Pha would see if there was a quick way down if possibly besides falling when talking with the Seer. Pha knew his thoughts and ideas were all over the place... much like the story told to them after the Rite was done.
Jan 20, 2016 5:28 pm
"I will fight with the rest of the village -- if we fight -- but I won't start one. We are capable -- but the foe seems unknown and has access to numenera we have never seen. I think it would be wise to be cautious about what we can do." Yaru will pay attention to Pha's query to the Seer and add the question, "Is there a place where we can safely watch and make sure that we can move to the aid of the village if there's trouble? This seems too far away."
Jan 20, 2016 5:56 pm
Galen nods. Now that the anger of everyone hiding has worn off he begins to think tactically and logically, as Irving taught him to, "Yeah, we need a place that's good to observe from that will allow us a chance to intervene if it does turn to a fight. If it does come to that we will have to hit hard and fast to take them down before they can take to the air. Once they're up high I don't think we'd have a chance."
Jan 20, 2016 7:44 pm
They will require that everyone in the village be present at the time of tribute. It would be difficult to hide in the village as they will likely search for anyone hiding. From the tree line you can see straight into the village green, where you can observe. Getting closer unseen might be a challenge though." The Seer pauses and thinks, "I don't want to force your hand, you are free to reject this idea if you want, but Pha might have had a good idea. You could avoid conflict in the village and offer yourselves, then work against the Timmermen once inside the fortress. It is a bold plan, with much peril, but it would save the village any turmoil, at least for now."

:::This is me just spelling out the options that I've seen discussed. You guys come up with the plan though. Totally your call, but making a decision in the next few posts would be cool. Hiding in the village is possible but will have a higher difficulty. Waiting at the tree line to see what happens will work, but you will be farther away so sneaking up with prove more difficult. Offering yourself as tribute (as it were) likely saves any violence in the village, but it puts you in the lion's den. All good valid plans, just different. And if a new idea strikes you by all means suggest it.:::
Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm
"I vote for the treeline or... for offering ourselves up." Yaru really doesn't like either plan -- he'd much prefer that his day was not this complicated.
Last edited January 20, 2016 7:47 pm
Jan 20, 2016 9:50 pm
"I'm with Yaru on the treeline, if there's too much turmoil in the village on what to do and panis on who goes some of us mixed in with the offerings voluntarily wouldn't hurt... they don't want all of us in the village in truth anyway." Pha lamented, "But we need to get moving regardless of which way we go..." looking to the Seer for the best way down.
Jan 20, 2016 10:04 pm
Galen agrees with Pha and Yaru, "The treeline would be a good choice. Once we figure out what's going on in the village we can make a choice on how to proceed."
Jan 22, 2016 2:26 am
"I'm worried about Kylia. If what you say is true, there's little risk they'd take her, as she hasn't completed the Rite, but it has been many years, and they may not be quite so selective in who they take. I would feel better about watching from the woods if she were with us." He cast a worried look back in the direction of the storm, "Perhaps we should spring our surprise from under their very noses. They will probably see us coming when we charge from the woods and will have time to brace themselves or even flee. We could go back to the village and tell our loved ones to escape to the woods, and when the Timmermen arrive decide if it'd be better to attack or surrender. And if we attack, we should try to not let any escape alive."

He approached the Seer and asked, "Is there a transport pad in the village you can send us to? Or is there a faster way to return than climbing down and running? And what is the code to return here from the Timmermen's fortress?"
Jan 22, 2016 3:45 pm
"I vote we wait in the village and offer ourselves up. We need to know more about these creatures if we are going to fight them. And, if we are in the village, we can keep an eye on the situation there first hand."
Jan 22, 2016 4:40 pm
The Seer retrieves a small object from a belt pouch that had been hidden by his robes. It is less than the length of his hand, but slightly wider. It has a worn brown covering that seems to be some kind of animal hide. Inside are several sheets of stiff material. Symbols like the ones on the teleportation machine are printed on each page along with writing in the common language of Uncegilla Cove. The first page claims to be the Fortress Stronghold of the Timmermen. "This is a codex of the places known by me that have transport devices. My duties would not allow me to explore them, and I did not wish to draw attention to myself by being to active, so I cannot tell you much about the other places. I do know that there is, or at least was, a place in the city beyond the mountains. It is called The Temple. There the Timmermen are worshiped as messengers of the divine. They have cultivated this reputation in many areas beyond the mountains, but they are only men and women like us."

"As for a faster way, no. The Timmermen are mistrusting of the people. It borders on paranoia. They feared that left unattended the people of the aldiea would learn more than was desired and find a way to rebel. So they elected to use this place as their staging ground if need be." The Seer looks south again. We must hurry. There is a tunnel and staircase over here. It will provide us a quicker exit than climbing, but we must travel through the woods to get back. And we must hurry. They will be here soon."

As you descend The Seer stops and you see a door hidden in the inner wall of the Spiram. The door slides open at a touch from the seer. He disappears into the darkness within, then suddenly soft blue light sparks from a tubular ring near the ceiling. "I have managed to obtain a few items that may be of use to you soon." In the center of the room there are four crossbows and quivers of bolts 12 bolts to go with each. Then the Seer walks over to a drawer and opens it. First he withdraws what looks like a small knife handle, "This device creates a Monoblade, a 6-inch blade that can pierce nearly any armor." Then he gets a silver disk, slightly rounded on one side and four small spkies on the flat side, "This is a Phase Changer, once activated you will exist slightly in another realm, becoming insubstantial and immune to attacks form anyone not in the same state. But the user will also be unable to affect anything physically." Next a fist sized node with two metal prongs is brought forth. "This device can be attached to a melee weapon or worn over your fist." He demonstrates the strap. "On command you may use this Shocker to apply devastating damage to one attack." Finally, a black bag of shiny fabric containing six silver runes on synth cards. "Each of these runes can be peeled off of their cards and affixed to someone's forehead. When one of the bearers of a rune wishes, they may communicate with any other bearer through mental contact only, over nearly limitless range, for one hour."

:::So it looks like it is currently 3 to 1 in favor of the treeline plan, but I don't have a problem splitting things up. If one or two of you want to go in to town and others want to stay at the treeline. Carrick is correct in thinking Kylia and her family are in town, waiting for your return. And her parents would know they need to be in town if they don't want trouble with Timmermen even if she isn't a candidate. Nothing will be stopping you from getting back to the town, so I'm going to open a new scene thread. I'll leave this open for a bit in case there are any last minute thoughts before leaving. And if anyone wants to look up the cyphers I am giving you here this is the list: 56 Momoblade lvl8 Light weapon that ignores up to 8 points of armor; 59 Phase Changer lvl3 lasts for one minute; 77 Shocker lvl10 +10 damage on hit; 88 Telepathy Implant Lvl 3. Keep in mind the limit on cyphers. Taking more than your limit will cause a check for Cypher Danger. The Telepathy Implants only count once, not as six items.:::
Jan 22, 2016 5:19 pm
Pha breaks down his Synth Egg pulling out the few meager items in the process before putting a crystal back on top and affixing something to himself, "We have to be quick about this... I've managed to cobble and find things in my teacher’s shop but some of these I can't see myself using." he explains putting a small Crystal nodule a distance away from the rest trying to move items a bit apart where needed. Pha shakes his head, "If I have time to prep and get close I would want to use the Shocker myself to try and take down one of them if there is a battle. If some of you really want to get close to Timermen this magnetic shield disc would prove useful… not only because it can stop metal from an attack but if it can be put into their larger transport device somehow it might start causing it to hinder its movement but it is dangerous if they realize what you’re doing. If used in concert with the Phase Changer maybe it could be more destructive..." he stated.

Pha also reminds others what happens when one carries too many numenera.

Giving up (free to the group the nodule lasts 28 hours I believe and I can post the actual stats if someone wants them) the Disruptive Nodule L2 I had since it needs to be on a Weapon, and the Magnetic Shield L3, using the Retaliation Nodule on myself and would like to grand the Shocker and a silver rune Numenera... Oh I'd like to grab a Crossbow and bolts since I'll be starting from a way out most likely.
Jan 22, 2016 5:50 pm
Before descending, Kveit pulls out what looks like a set of matching mirrors with ornately carved frames. She sets one up on the exterior of the Spirum, at an angle that shows the best view of the approaches to the village from the direction of the Timmermen.

She activates the Numenera device as we all descend, so she can keep an eye on the progress of the Timmermen.

OOC: Freeing up a Cypher slot for the Monoblade.
Jan 22, 2016 10:15 pm
Yaru looks at the collection and passes. "I'm good, thanks."
Jan 22, 2016 11:16 pm
"Thank you for your help. I can't imagine the risk you've taken to go against the Timmermen as you have." He grabbed one of the crossbows and quiver and hefted it, getting a feel for the balance and weight. It was a bit different than the harpoon bows mounted on the ship, but he figured it operated under much the same concept. He also picked up the spiky disk, wondering when he might need to use it, but had the thought he could potentially give it to Kylia as a way to protect her while he was gone.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.