DnD 5e gets a OGL

Jan 13, 2016 12:25 pm
Though in this crowd, I doubt no one has heard...

WotC has released an OGL for 5e, which now means 3rd party producers of DnD content can legally use stuff from official 5e material. This also means the release of an SRD, which I'm awfully tempted to code and put up, though I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch.

They've also launched the GM Guild, which is meant to be a marketplace for DnD 5e content.

Does this affect any of you guys directly?
Jan 13, 2016 4:31 pm
As players/authors/gamers, we've been able to produce and sell D&D5 material from the beginning (I'm actually incorporating previously published third-party D&D5 adventures in my N1 game). The differences are that now, we can set our modules in the Forgotten Realms, and that Wizards has created a D&D5 storefront skin on DriveThruRPG so that shoppers will know that if they go there - DMs' Guild - they will see only content for D&D5, rather than for all RPGs.

Even though I'm not interested in writing stuff for FR at all, I have to admit that I'm thinking about publishing some D&D5 material now, when I wasn't before yesterday (even though I could have). I like the idea of the dedicated storefront.
Jan 13, 2016 4:44 pm
I'm feeling the same. I haven't seriously made RPG content since 4e, for which I made a variety of short adventures, and custom rules to fill voids in the system (like a two weapon fighting option for all characters that actually felt like two weapon fighting), and released for free on my own website. On the other hand, I'm not sure how actually profitable it could be - soon there will be a deluge of mediocre products and it will be difficult to be a noteworthy presences amongst the riff-raff unless you're producing lots and active in a range of online D&D communities.

In any case, I am now thinking about it - which I wasn't doing before. I'm sure there's people who would appreciate "one page" micro-adventures (one page, double sided, 1-2 hours worth of a game that is easily expandable by a resourceful GM)
Jan 13, 2016 4:50 pm
spaceseeker, are you sure about that? From conversations from publishers, from what I've understood, lacking an OGL up till now, 5e content has been iffy without direct permission from WotC. And the comparison sheet on the WotC site shows that the OGL doesn't allow for FR material, just core material. If you want to do FR stuff, you HAVE to use the DM's Guild.
Jan 13, 2016 4:57 pm
Candi says:
I'm feeling the same. I haven't seriously made RPG content since 4e, for which I made a variety of short adventures, and custom rules to fill voids in the system (like a two weapon fighting option for all characters that actually felt like two weapon fighting), and released for free on my own website. On the other hand, I'm not sure how actually profitable it could be - soon there will be a deluge of mediocre products and it will be difficult to be a noteworthy presences amongst the riff-raff unless you're producing lots and active in a range of online D&D communities.

In any case, I am now thinking about it - which I wasn't doing before. I'm sure there's people who would appreciate "one page" micro-adventures (one page, double sided, 1-2 hours worth of a game that is easily expandable by a resourceful GM)
I think it will really hinge on peer review and the ratings system. I'm hopeful that enough people will use the site so that the 5% that actually review will be a large enough number to provide the 95% who just browse/shop the site enough variance to discriminate between good content and "something my friend posted."
Jan 13, 2016 5:10 pm
Yeah, but even if the user base is big enough for that, your products still need to get noticed in the first place to start getting reviewed. It's a lot of work to develop, test, and format an adventure (event a short one, like those I'm considering rolling out).

One thing that is nice is that it seems like WotC has put up a bunch of resources for creators to make slick looking documents without having to heavily invest in art and design. The availability of those resources are definitely helping push me towards 'why not give it a shot' and writing up a little package of a half-dozen "Micro Adventures" or something similar.
Jan 13, 2016 5:15 pm
Keleth says:
spaceseeker, are you sure about that? From conversations from publishers, from what I've understood, lacking an OGL up till now, 5e content has been iffy without direct permission from WotC.
I guess it depends on what sort of content you mean. As a player and DM, I'm most interested in adventures and campaign material. Those have been permitted and published in large amounts from day one of the Basic Rules sets (actually, well before the Basic Rules sets, as people published many adventures for "D&D.Next," when there wasn't even a solid rules set).

But if you're talking about WotC setting material (such as the Forgotten Realms, Athas, Planescape, Eberron, Krynn, Mystara, Greyhawk, Blackmoor), you couldn't publish material explicitly set in those places, or referencing any locations there (you still can't, with the exception of Forgotten Realms). If you're talking about new/revised rules (such as new character classes, alternative magic rules, new skill systems, etc), you couldn't do that, either. The rules were sacrosanct and the official D&D settings were unavailable, but you could publish adventures all day long. You also couldn't use the "Dungeons & Dragons" logo, as that's a Wizards copyright (now you can, on DM's Guild).

Merric Blackman has created a good list of all published D&D5 adventures: http://merricb.com/dungeons-dragons-5e/the-great-list-of-dd-5e-adventures/, to illustrate that people have been producing D&D5 content gangbusters for the past couple of years.
Keleth says:
And the comparison sheet on the WotC site shows that the OGL doesn't allow for FR material, just core material. If you want to do FR stuff, you HAVE to use the DM's Guild.
If that's not what I said - I thought it was - it's certainly what I intended to say. DM's Guild is the new thing, and it allows for use of the D&D logo, system information, and the official Forgotten Realms setting. As someone who creates campaign material, none of those are particularly interesting to me, but I'm still interested.
Last edited January 13, 2016 5:16 pm
Jan 13, 2016 6:18 pm
It's possible I simply misunderstood what you meant. No big deal. And I'm not saying 5e material didn't exist before; publishers just haven't been on solid footing about it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.