Oh hey it's me.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 13, 2016 8:52 pm
Hi guys and gals! It's me! Who? Yes. Exactly.

I'm @natural20shirts over on twitter.

A little background:
I used to play AD&D 2nd Edition (that's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons to you kids-these-days!) back in the 90s with my friends in high school. We also played GURPS for a little bit. We tended to be pretty battle-heavy and roleplay-light; we were dumb kids. I was always a tank, except we didn't call them tanks back in the day.

Anyway, I graduated to college in 1999 and that was the last roleplaying I did for a loooong time.

Fast forward to 2015. That's pretty much it. I listen to several D&D/Pathfinderesque podcasts (The Adventure Zone, Godsfall, The Glass Cannon). I missed roleplaying, the battle and the RPing, and still daydream about drawing maps and creating characters, although as a professional graphic designer I usually end up doing art that I get paid for. I love rolling dice! So to get back in to the swing of things I started a play-by-post game with some of my old friends from high school and my brother-in-law. It's a lot of fun but they take their time in posting, and I crave more!

So as to not over-explain myself right out of the gate, I'm going to stop here.

Hi!
Last edited January 13, 2016 8:56 pm
Jan 13, 2016 9:00 pm
Welcome to the fun!
Jan 13, 2016 9:24 pm
Welcome Carl. I do intend on talking to you again once GP has some budget for the shirts we spoke about last summer, heh. But hopefully we can find you a nice game to join into; feel free to read up the public games and join in/start on any of the general threads. Might help you get to know some of the users like you wanted.
Jan 13, 2016 9:54 pm
Welcom to the world of story telling... With dice
Jan 14, 2016 12:52 am
I'm pretty much cut from the same cloth. Welcome to GamersPlane!

This site was also my first foray into play-by-post, and I've found that not only does it mesh nicely with my erratic schedule, but it really allows me to think about roleplaying because I'm not very good at in-person improvisation and story-telling. A lot of my tabletop experiences were boiled down to "I move here and attack." GP actually lets me sit and form my responses in such a way as to incorporate my characters' personalities into their actions. It's really nice to play in-character for a change, at least for me.
Jan 14, 2016 3:34 am
CancerMan says:
I'm pretty much cut from the same cloth. Welcome to GamersPlane!

This site was also my first foray into play-by-post, and I've found that not only does it mesh nicely with my erratic schedule, but it really allows me to think about roleplaying because I'm not very good at in-person improvisation and story-telling. A lot of my tabletop experiences were boiled down to "I move here and attack." GP actually lets me sit and form my responses in such a way as to incorporate my characters' personalities into their actions. It's really nice to play in-character for a change, at least for me.
+1! I did a lot of roleplaying through online MU* in college (and shortly thereafter) and enjoyed the experience, and while it honed my ability to improvise on the spot and get into a character, I'm not expert at it. I really appreciate how the PbP format allows for some good story-telling.

Welcome Carl and make sure to get stuck in! What kinda games you interested in playing?
Jan 16, 2016 12:32 pm
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I am heartened and encouraged to hear that there's a bunch of other people like me out there. Not surprised, I guess, that happens a lot when you start looking :-)

Right now, the play by post game that I'm playing started out as a fate based system but quickly evolved into more of a story telling with character based capabilities for fail/succeed. It's in a futuristic world with guns, genetic modification, cybernetic enhancements, etc. I like it a lot but I also have a craving for a gritty/fun low-fantasy game (contrast to high fantasy where every character has four health potions and a +2 Butter Knife is common) where magic exists but it's rare and weird. Fantasy races coexist and clash. That sort of thing.

I have the same feel, CancerMan, that you mention above, that it's great to be able to take the time to think about proper RP and game responses. I have lots of little bits of free time scattered through my day and I'll write and rewrite a post 15 times and spellcheck before I post - so I take it "seriously" because it's fun, but I also can't stand people who take it TOO seriously because, well, it IS a game and it should be fun.

As far as systems go, I am still pretty familiar with AD&D 2nd Edition, so I still remember old school THAC0 and stuff. I'm glad I missed 4th edition. Pathfinder and 5e sound better but what I know from them I gleaned from the podcasts I listen to.

Typing in my phone as coffee kicks in so please forgive any wackiness!
Last edited January 16, 2016 12:37 pm
Jan 16, 2016 6:09 pm
Hello and welcome.
Jan 16, 2016 6:45 pm
Welcome, Carl! Lots of fantasy games going, and games kinda pop into existence periodically. Glad you rejoined the ranks of the 'best people evah', i.e., roleplayers.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.