Automatically subscribing to subforums

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 25, 2016 11:18 pm
Is there a way to automatically subscribe to subforums? For instance, right now if you subscribe to Forum A, and Subforums A.1 and A.2 are later created, you will have to manually subscribe to those as well. Is it possible for that to happen automatically? Or at least have an alert be sent out that a new subforum has been created?

The reason I'm asking is that there have been a couple of times recently where I've missed posts in a game because a new subforum had been created for the next chapter(s). And if it's not possible/doable, it's really not a big deal; I just figured I'd throw it out there and see where it lands. TIA!
Jan 25, 2016 11:43 pm
I'm curious: is this for games you're watching, or games in which you are a player?
Also, are you asking for the e-mail notifications, or for some area of the site to update?

I ask because I have a set of expected behaviors for each of these things, and I want to chime in with "Yes, I agree" or "Ooh, I dunno about that..." depending on which you mean.

A specific example: I follow a bunch of public games here on GP that I don't play in myself. As an observer, I don't want to see all the side OoC threads - I just want to see the main game thread - so getting automatically subscribed to all subforum activity would be hugely aggravating to me (as I'd have to go and unsubscribe from those so that my Inbox wouldn't fill with notifications).

On the other hand, as a player, I want to see updates on any forum relating to a game I'm playing (as long as it's visible to me - I don't want to be notified about updates to a forum private to another player). I freely admit that I don't know if e-mail updates on subforums happen automatically now or not - I don't rely on e-mail notifications for the games I play or run. I check the site more frequently than that. But I do believe that any activity on the forum for a game I play in - subforums that have just been created included - shows up in my forums list. I don't have to subscribe; I'm automatically subscribed by virtue of being in the game (in fact, I can't unsubscribe - not that I'd want to).

Whether those updates show up in "Latest Updates" is another story, of course (and being discussed in another thread).
Jan 25, 2016 11:44 pm
Anything is possible! Just a question of how much to make it possible. This one is well within reason. The question is how we want it to work. Maybe I can add an option to the user profile that you can turn on/off, to autosubscribe to subforums when they're created? We can have two options: one for games you're in, one for games you're not in/non-game forums.
Jan 26, 2016 2:27 am
I was thinking specifically of the games I'm playing in. And just to be clear, I'm not talking about new Threads - those notifications are working correctly. This is specifically for new Subforums. I haven't personally watched other games in progress (although I do love that it's possible on this site!), but I can see where you're coming from @spaceseeker19 with not wanting to be alerted for all of the OOC content. But you made a good point - as a player, I want to be notified of anything that happens pertaining to the games I'm playing in.

I rely heavily on the email alerts for pretty much everything here (New Game alerts, New Post alerts, PMs, etc). It works well for me to get the alerts and read the new content on my phone then do my composition on my computer later. I have a few thoughts on how those alerts might be improved upon, but that conversation might be better in a new thread.

As far as how to make it work, perhaps when you subscribe to a forum have a confirmation prompt appear asking if you want to be subscribed to the subforums as well. That would allow someone to indicate that's what they want on a case-by-case basis. You could potentially have the user select a default action in their profile that would pre-fill the answer to that prompt. Or instead of a prompt, display two subscribe links - one for just the forum you're viewing and one for the entire forum tree.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.