Clive Barker inspired Horror Game?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 22, 2020 9:14 pm
A_True_Believer says:
Yeah. Weaveworld was actually the first book of his I read. I made my mind explode. :) Well...so I thought, then I read Imajica!
Me, too -- really enjoyed that book.
Jan 23, 2020 3:22 am
Maybe one way to approach a game like this... would be almost X-Files in a sense. Say you had a Clive Barker world that is realized... Essentially the real world with some very dark things going on. And, the players play detectives, psychologists, theologians, archaeologists, etc... the whole Cthuhlu type deal. But, gameplay would be broken down into "one-shots" or episodes around the country/world..?
Jan 23, 2020 6:35 pm
Getting in late, but I'm a fan of this idea. I've read Great and Secret Show, Everville, and Imajica. I've also watched several of the Hellraiser films.
Jan 23, 2020 6:37 pm
A_True_Believer says:
Maybe one way to approach a game like this... would be almost X-Files in a sense. Say you had a Clive Barker world that is realized... Essentially the real world with some very dark things going on. And, the players play detectives, psychologists, theologians, archaeologists, etc... the whole Cthuhlu type deal. But, gameplay would be broken down into "one-shots" or episodes around the country/world..?
What if each episode was a different set of characters exploring a different part of the dark world? So one scenario the players are detectives, the next one rare booksellers, then archaeologists? Like a campaignless campaign.
Jan 23, 2020 6:43 pm
I could go for that. All connected in a woven tapestry of Barker’s imagination or entirely separate..?
Jan 23, 2020 9:05 pm
A_True_Believer says:
I could go for that. All connected in a woven tapestry of Barker’s imagination or entirely separate..?
Personally I think it would be cool if they were separate stories but with small things that show that the stories take place in the same world.
Jan 23, 2020 9:09 pm
That sounds really cool to me
Jan 23, 2020 10:34 pm
I have run continuing Cthulhu-like adventures and within it I would weave the various stories -- along with things taking place that the players may not even encounter -- this seemed to be the fairly good format as things happen on the current adventure that could alter other events -- and/or maybe some things happen on adventure 1 that directly tie into adventure 2 or 3 or later

So what are we supposed to do with this weird rock.... a few months down the road... hey I think that weird rock we found a few months back works with this thing.
Last edited January 23, 2020 10:35 pm
Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am
DeJoker says:
I have run continuing Cthulhu-like adventures and within it I would weave the various stories -- along with things taking place that the players may not even encounter -- this seemed to be the fairly good format as things happen on the current adventure that could alter other events -- and/or maybe some things happen on adventure 1 that directly tie into adventure 2 or 3 or later

So what are we supposed to do with this weird rock.... a few months down the road... hey I think that weird rock we found a few months back works with this thing.
Yes. I love this type of connecting-the-pieces.
Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am
So what setting? I've always been drawn to the Noir setting...but, maybe that's been overdone. Maybe like a 1980s vibe... Very "Stranger Things-ish"
Feb 3, 2020 10:32 pm
I like either of those settings, to be honest. Or even a modern day setting, but made just a bit more noir-ish?
Feb 4, 2020 5:36 am
I like modern day the most but those are also fine with me

You do not have permission to post in this thread.