Feng Shui

Jan 30, 2016 8:37 pm
Any Feng Shui players out there? Picked up a copy of the 2nd edition rules recently and the system looks kind of interesting. I'd love to hear some thoughts from those who have played it (either version).
Jan 30, 2016 10:26 pm
I loved the game! I only have 1st edition though.. what do you think of the rules?
Jan 31, 2016 1:35 am
Haven't finished all of them yet, but I like what I see so far. The way that swerve works, if I understand how the sixes work correctly, seems like it could produce some wild (and potentially hilarious) swings during gameplay. I like goofy stuff happening in games and this system seems like it's made for goofy stuff galore.
Jan 31, 2016 4:06 am
I've played Feng Shui tons and love it. I've run it as oriental high fantasy, superheroes, modern day movie action, near future sci fi, etc.

I bought FS2 in the kickstarter but haven't arranged to play it yet.
Jan 31, 2016 9:02 am
I'd be interested if someone was willing to run it. I used to play a karate cop and that was pretty fun
Jan 31, 2016 2:35 pm
I think that I looked at running FS on gamersplane, but it would require Keleth to implement new dice rolling techniques. Still I might look at again as a way of exploring Feng Shui 2.
Jan 31, 2016 2:48 pm
Explain to me or link me these dice mechanics!
Jan 31, 2016 3:28 pm
You roll two d6s, both explode, but one is positive and one is negative, and add a skill base. It's the subtracting one from the other that could either be left to the gamemaster or automated.

Ex) If your Guns skill is 13, and you are shooting someone who has a defense of 14, you need to roll a 14 or better. So you take your base 13, and add a positive exploding d6, and subtract a negative exploding d6.
Jan 31, 2016 4:29 pm
Is that for all Feng Shui rolls? I could add another dice type (eg, like SWEOTE) for Feng Shui.

I'm actually wondering if I should rename Reroll Aces to Exploding Dice. Reroll Aces is a Deadlands Classic specific thing I think.
Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm
That is pretty much it. Except... that players have a limited supply of Fortune Dice which they can spend for an extra positive d6, with no exploding on that die. Rarely, there are closed rolls (+1d6 - 1d6) that have no exploding dice.

Using GP lingo but with curly brackets cuz square brackets are sometimes dropped in a post, but with math added:

Regular roll: d6{RA}-d6{RA}
Fortune roll: d6{RA}-d6{RA}+d6
Closed roll: d6-d6
Jan 31, 2016 7:12 pm
That reminds me, I need to add in the ability to do dice math and text commands for things like exploding dice.

So for now, I can add in "Feng Shui" dice, where you enter a number, and it adds 1 exploding d6, subtracts one exploding d6. I can add in a dropdown selection where you can pick Regular, Fortune, or Closed, in which case it'd do the special stuff.

What is the number you add/subtract the rolls to called? Rank/skill/etc?
Jan 31, 2016 7:39 pm
Action Value!
Jan 31, 2016 8:03 pm
Ok, I'll work on adding the dice. I have a few immediate things on my plate. I really wanna get to redoing the forums...
Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm
No rush for me, personally, as it will be a month or so before I'm interested in starting a new game. Thanks, Keleth!
Feb 3, 2016 4:50 pm
Alright, so I've added Feng Shui dice to the tools (not to posts yet), but I wanted people who've played Feng Shui to look, see if they operate how they'd be used, if we need features, if the results look how it'd be appropriate, if I can/should add color appropriate to the system, etc.
Feb 3, 2016 6:07 pm
That looks perfect, Keleth. Hole in one!
Feb 3, 2016 6:15 pm
The styling/display looks a little blase; that's my biggest concern :p I also wasn't sure if you can add multiple fortune dice to one roll.
Feb 4, 2016 12:53 am
No to the multiple fortune dice. As to the roll, I'm not sure what would be appropriate. The negative die represents Yin and the positive die represents Yang (black and red?). Or maybe some sort of 3-D animation where death and tigers run around the numbers!
Feb 4, 2016 1:19 am
OOC:
HA!
Feb 4, 2016 2:32 am
Animations you say... sure, let me hire an animator... takes money you say...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.