Interest Check: LotR - An alternative fellowship

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 27, 2020 1:15 pm
Hello

I've had this idea for a while now of basing a game on iconic stories from fantasy and science fiction but with alternative protagonists in a kind of alternative universe take or a "could I have done it better" situation .
What if the savior of the human resistance wasn't John Connor but some other person.
What if a different noble house than the Atriedes were given command of Arrakis.
What if the crew roster of the Nostromo had been different.

Et cetera.

So with this idea in mind...

The game would be for three to five characters, who will replace members of the fellowship.
Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo and Sam will remain in the fellowship, with the remaining five being made up of player characters.

The game would begin at the Council of Elrond, with the players being members of the delegation of free peoples and so would be drawn from all the major nations of peoples of middle earth (elves, dwarves and the men of Gondor and the city state of Dale).

Would you cross the misty mountains without losing Gandalf?
Would all of you resist the lure of the ring and thus prevent the splitting of the fellowship? or would you succumb sooner and split sooner? (making Frodo and Sams journey longer), would you fail to prevent Saruman from getting the ring?

I'm thinking of using Savage Worlds for this.
Last edited January 27, 2020 1:17 pm
Jan 27, 2020 1:26 pm
I love this idea and I would definitely be interested in joining!
Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm
I've never played Savage Worlds, so it would be a learning experience but his sounds pretty fun. I'll take a look and try to learn it the best I can if you'll have me.
Jan 27, 2020 2:40 pm
I’m 100% in. I have and love Savage Worlds. In fact, it is starting to become my go-to system
Jan 27, 2020 4:06 pm
So I got a core rule book for SW and it says v.4.2 Adventure edition and it was the latest edition I found. Is this sufficient to learning the basics?
Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm
Yes. I think IF there have been any tweaks since that .pdf release they would've been minor. But, the Adventure Edition is indeed the latest edition of Savage Worlds.
Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm
I've never played it myself (I'm playing my first game on here, and I've been staunchly d20, Pathfinder, D&D for years) but I'm sure I'll figure it out, it seems fairly straightforward.

There is a fan made LotR conversion for Savage Worlds, I'll be using that (it has more authentic races, and a modified magic system).

As far as I'm aware, the 4.2 Adventure edition is the most up date.
Last edited January 27, 2020 4:29 pm
Jan 27, 2020 4:36 pm
Okay then. I have the latest edition so I am all in if you will have me. :D
Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
I've not used this site to run a game, but did run a game on facebook once.

So we'll see what happens.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.