Allowing admins to agument rolls

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 2, 2016 3:02 pm
This may only be relevant to FFGSW right now (until I add dice math), but what do you guys think of allowing GMs to add additional dice to a roll a player has already made? For FFGSW, thanks to funny symbols and labels, the dice math is easy but can take a second to figure out, but as I'm seeing, often a player will make a roll and the GM will define the difficulty later, meaning the player or GM will add a second roll with the negative dice.

Would adding dice to a roll (meaning you can't modify previous dice, it would simply add more dice for the final result) be useful? I think logically, it'd be restricted to whomever is an admin on the forum (all GMs are forum admins for their game forum).
Feb 2, 2016 3:08 pm
That would be pretty awesome, I think
Feb 2, 2016 3:08 pm
That would be handy - would probably speed up the FFGSW games a bit because the GM could just go in and add the difficulty dice (which is much faster than them asking, the player then going in editing, then letting the GM know they did it).
Feb 2, 2016 3:35 pm
That's a great idea, speaking as a player in an EOTE game. There may be application to other games, where the players don't know the penalty to a roll. Like in D&D the GM could add an explicit -2 to a roll to reflect some previously unknown circumstance. They likely do that on the resolution side of it, but modifying the roll may be fun, too.
Feb 2, 2016 7:55 pm
I'd like it -- I'd also like it where, if added, it didn't change the avatar posted under (right now I can edit a post and add them, and do the math -- but it changes to the player versus the character as the posting identity).

I will note -- that I think if it is added, it be great if a note was added to the post (much like the edit commentary) to indicate that the roll had been modified by the GM. It shouldn't be something a GM can do underhandedly or without transparency.
Last edited February 2, 2016 7:56 pm
Feb 2, 2016 8:07 pm
Yah, the whole "edit changes character" bug is something I noticed but haven't gotten to fix yet. I figured if I added this feature, the GM could add a note themselves, and if it's blank, we can do an auto text like "GM modified roll".

You do not have permission to post in this thread.