System Suggestions for a Superhero Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 1, 2020 4:26 pm
I want to run a superhero game, and I need suggestions for a good system. The game will revolve around a group of second-string superhero rejects who are trying to make it in the highly competitive superhero market. Tonally, the game is kitschy and lighthearted, and similar to the Mystery Men, The Tick, and Kickass.

So what would be a good system to use? Ideally, I’d like something that isn’t too crunchy. But the system should also be able to support having weird or unusual powers.
Feb 1, 2020 4:32 pm
My go to would be Feng Shui for fun action sequences, but more typical choices would be Mutants & Masterminds 3e or maybe for super light rules, Masks (PbtA).
Feb 1, 2020 4:41 pm
Fate could be another possibility. The Aspect system would allow for any type of unusual power.
Last edited February 1, 2020 4:43 pm
Feb 1, 2020 4:43 pm
I'd highly recommend Marvel Heroic Roleplay (Cortex Plus system) for any supers game.

Light enough to stay out of the way for storytelling, but crunchy enough to have interesting gameplay.
Feb 1, 2020 4:50 pm
If character interactions are supposed to be a focus, I would recommend Cortex Plus Drama / Smallville RPG
Feb 1, 2020 6:11 pm
For easy to learn/teach systems, Gallant Knight Games has Tiny Supers. They even have a games setting like you describe, where there's a group of superheroes called Sentry Force Prime, filled with God-Tier like superheroes, who frequently recruit a bunch of new super powered individuals to make up their second string and handle small hero jobs, while they try and prove themselves and hopefully make the upper ranks with the legends in the team.
Feb 2, 2020 2:03 am
I would suggest Genesys. It allows for multiple settings and is rules light.
Feb 2, 2020 6:28 am
Mutants and Masterminds -- or Hero System by Hero Games (used to be called Champions) ---- the latter is a bit more complex to use but they both allow you to create any kind of hero you want -- and have them basically balanced with the other characters
Feb 2, 2020 7:04 am
I'd recommend the Fate system, they have a supers expansion called Venture City Stories that takes care of a good range of powers and combinations, and the system is easy to use. Mutants and Masterminds works great too.
Feb 2, 2020 7:25 pm
PHIL490 says:
I would suggest Genesys. It allows for multiple settings and is rules light.
agreed. Also you might be able to find some excellent fan made content. Either in The Foundry, or floating around elsewhere online

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/cc/27/genesys-foundry
Feb 3, 2020 1:44 pm
*cough*Savage Worlds if you like crunch*cough* I would second Masks if you want it mostly light, if there's a Nova things are very likely to go wrong.
Feb 3, 2020 5:54 pm
Savage Worlds and Mutants & Masterminds both come to mind. M&M is more flexible and lets you get really detailed in your character creation, but both are fine systems. Mighty Protectors (a.k.a. Villains and Vigilantes 3.0) is a lot of fun as well.
Last edited February 3, 2020 5:56 pm
Feb 5, 2020 5:45 pm
There's also Guardians (what OD&D would have been in superheroes were the inspiration), World in Peril (PbtA-ish), and Masks if you want a lot of random.
Feb 5, 2020 6:46 pm
I used run a superhero campaign using The Mighty Six system which was a lot of fun. Very easy to use and allows for any superpower combos you can think of. The GM can assign a certain number of "Power Points" for each character to determine how powerful they are, starting at street level all the way up to god-like.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123949/The-Mighty-Six
Last edited February 5, 2020 6:47 pm
Feb 5, 2020 8:13 pm
Take the time to check "Icons Superpowered Roleplaying", it might be what you're looking for...
Here's a review of it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.