INTEREST CHECK - D&D 5e Convention module

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 1, 2020 11:59 pm
I designed a game back in the early 80's ostensibly for my own enjoyment and then decided to offer it in a local Con. I playtested it in my own gaming group first and everyone seemed to enjoy it. The name of the Game is Fortress of Kahlilahd and it's pretty simple and straightforward. It was originally designed in 1e and then later updated to 3.5e and subsequently updated again to be run PbP on another site. When it was completed there and I started Chapter Two which ran for a couple of years, the game and the site petered out.

The set up is thus: The King has recruited a small group of fairly high level heroes (8th) to find his son who seems to have disappeared. It is suspected that he was taken by an evil wizard and hidden away in a fortress within a couple days ride of the King's Castle. The team would start at the entrance to the fortress downs. I had originally set it up to use my own characters but I won't hold all of you to that. What I do ask for is to keep to standard character. I don't want to be finding and reading several different resources to understand your highly esoteric character.

As I said it's pretty simple but I need some time to set everything up on this site and refresh all my notes most of which are still hand written and 38 years old. Anyone interest post here and we can discuss the game in more depth.
Last edited February 2, 2020 12:36 am
Feb 2, 2020 3:57 am
I'm interested. Please send me an invite when you get things set up.
Feb 2, 2020 6:39 am
I'm afraid it may take another couple days before I get it put up. Accessing my files has proven to be much more difficult than I thought. I have to reconstruct everything from memory and that's not real easy to do at my age. I'll make sure you get an invite though.
Last edited February 2, 2020 6:40 am
Feb 2, 2020 7:53 pm
Good. The game was originally designed for 8 players and I hope we get that much interest. My memory is coming back but the denizens of the Fortress are much harder to recall and the bestiary has changed significantly since the 80's. The place will be stocked with 5th generation beasties. I'll go ahead and put up the game later today or tomorrow after the super bowl so I can get you both on board and we can start talking about character concepts.
Feb 6, 2020 8:47 am
I'd be interested Aldrusian. Would be a pleasure to play in a game run by you.
Feb 6, 2020 5:27 pm
If this is still happening I'd be interested. I've got a Dwarf Forge Cleric concept I've been itching to play.
Feb 6, 2020 5:38 pm
If you need players, I'll help you out.
Feb 6, 2020 6:57 pm
To the three of you who have just posted here, how do you feel about playing this in a 3.5 format instead of 5.0? I'm having a lot of difficulty with a number of the 5e rules. One thing that players usually are concerned about when starting with higher level characters is what sort of gear and/or magic items could they have with them. At 8th level players only get 2 common and 2 uncommon magic items. In the original 5e guide there are only 2 or 4 common items available. Since I don't have any of the 5e books other than a pdf of the GM and Player's Guides it is tough for me to understand what else is available. I have a lot of 3.5 material which includes a large number of prestige characters. In 3.5 an 8th level character gets 27k gold to spend and the books list the gold value of everything available. The only other option in 5e is that you list what items you would like and provide the details and I would have to decide whether or not it's acceptable. I would also add a rare item to the mix.

Let me know here or by PM. I'm likely to lose a few of my original cast members if I go to 3.5
Feb 6, 2020 7:11 pm
If you decide to run this in 5e, I'd love to join in. Sadly I haven't played 3.5e yet and I don't really have access to the books to learn it. If there is easy access somewhere on the net, I'd gladly take some time to read into it~

But yeah, all in all I'm interested, although I'd prefer 5e.
Feb 6, 2020 8:27 pm
Interested... :) What was the name of this?
Last edited February 6, 2020 8:28 pm
Feb 6, 2020 8:30 pm
I'd have to bow out if we ran 3.5. I never played that edition and don't have access to the materials. I can tell you the books you'd want to look for to find magic items would be pretty simple: the DMG and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Xanny's has all of the common magic items and the DMG has everything else. There are a few magic items scattered throughout the different adventure modules, but by and large you can get by with those two resources.
Feb 6, 2020 10:54 pm
I'm seeing sites that offer free downloads of a Xanathar's pdf but every one of them require that I download something else first. Since so much of what I see is a scam I am loathe to download anything from an unknown source. The cheapest I've seen the hard copy listed for is just under $25. I get bitched at for wanting to spend $10 on something for gaming so you won't find me spending much if anything for game related stuff. That's the biggest part of why I'm still old school other than the fact that I'm just plain old.
Feb 6, 2020 10:59 pm
Here is something that those of you who are well versed in 5e can help me with. I know how to assign XP based on the value of Monsters slain, situations/traps overcome and value of treasure. I haven't found anything in the 5e rules about assigning XP to monsters that only have a CR rating. Is there a chart or something that translate CR rating into XP?
Feb 7, 2020 12:08 am
Aldrusian says:
I'm seeing sites that offer free downloads of a Xanathar's pdf but every one of them require that I download something else first. Since so much of what I see is a scam I am loathe to download anything from an unknown source. The cheapest I've seen the hard copy listed for is just under $25. I get bitched at for wanting to spend $10 on something for gaming so you won't find me spending much if anything for game related stuff. That's the biggest part of why I'm still old school other than the fact that I'm just plain old.
I'm sure you'll find players who are more than happy working with just the basic rules. I have no problems with making archetypal characters.
Aldrusian says:
Here is something that those of you who are well versed in 5e can help me with. I know how to assign XP based on the value of Monsters slain, situations/traps overcome and value of treasure. I haven't found anything in the 5e rules about assigning XP to monsters that only have a CR rating. Is there a chart or something that translate CR rating into XP?
Not so much a rule about assigning XP, but this list has both XP and CR values for most (if not all) monsters in 5e.

EDIT to add, I think the beauty of 5e is that you can just make things up. If you think the players earned N amount of XP, you can give them that amount of XP. Or do milestone leveling.
Last edited February 7, 2020 12:09 am
Feb 7, 2020 12:34 am
The list helped a lot. I've got enough to read for all the new spells, races and character classes that I'd rather not spend time trying to figure out how to do milestone leveling. What I will be doing is figuring out the total XP value of an encounter and do contribution measuring. How you dole out any treasures accumulated is totally up to the players.
Feb 7, 2020 12:46 am
Milestone leveling is dead simple: when you feel the party has done enough to earn it, you level them up. It usually happens after a major, well, milestone in the campaign. It’s way easier than tracking XP. After running accumulated XP leveling games and milestone leveling games, I’m 100 percent onboard with milestone from here on out for games I run. I’m happy to play either way, just trying to give you some insight to the benefits of milestone.
Feb 7, 2020 4:02 am
When it comes to something like that I'm very anal. I've long been accused of analysis paralysis and it probably holds true in this case. I could use the same cutoffs I used in the original tournament but I don't know if that's fair. As is normal in all long spanning games the early XP is smaller than the later XP. I understand that with each bump in level it takes more to get to the next level so that could even out but the milestone option is usually reserved for the entire party. My method gives more XP to people who participate and less to those who don't. I'm talking here about people who miss turns rather than those who stay in the background but still contribute to the success of the team. I'm still a pretty long way before I can actually determine what a fair milestone would be. Since I can no longer find my maps I will have to redraw them from memory as well. And I don't want to hear anything about simple mapping tools that other people use. It's hard enough to learn everything about 5e I need to run this game without worrying about new mapping software. If we get someone who wants to use something like that, I will see about working with them.
Feb 7, 2020 4:46 am
Honestly, I'd say you're overthinking it. Milestone advancement is simple, intuitive, and easier on everyone.
Feb 7, 2020 9:35 am
Regarding systems, I'm fine with both.

For those who don't have 3.5 books, everything you need to create characters and run is here, on this very handy 3.5 SRD page.

Regarding XP, I'm pretty much old school myself. Milestone advancement works in story-driven role-playing. But if you're playing a more hex-crawl or dungeon-crawl style of game, you have to keep that risk-reward relation using xp as the carrot.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.