INTEREST CHECK - D&D 5e Convention module

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 7, 2020 9:59 am
Thank you, matmaisan!
I'll read into the SRD over the weekend~
I love getting to know new systems
Feb 7, 2020 12:43 pm
Aldrusian says:
I'm still a pretty long way before I can actually determine what a fair milestone would be.
Perhaps you are thinking on milestone leveling as too similar to XP leveling. The reason that milestone leveling is superior, in my opinion, is that you can create encounters that you want to create without worry about pacing experience points over an entire plot or adventure. This frees you to pace your adventure with a story or character arc mindset.

CR is still considered for balancing of threat to the party, but if the climax of your adventure is designed for level eight characters, then it means you can plot out all of the content you want along the way without tracking how many monsters, traps, etc there have been. You simply say, this session or this content is designed for the party at level four. This next chapter is for the party at level five, and so on. Design it all easily knowing exactly what level the party will be.

From a player standpoint, I enjoy milestone leveling over exp leveling because it's one less thing to track, and it keeps all characters in line with the challenge level of the obstacle we face. No one enjoys being too low level and feeling helpless when facing obstacles thrown at the party.
Feb 7, 2020 6:07 pm
Unfortunately, the game is not conducive to milestone leveling. It will be done by experience point distribution.
Feb 7, 2020 6:12 pm
I have not seen any recent game system that is not conducive to milestone leveling especially if it uses xp as means of doing so -- back in 1st Edition DnD and maybe 2nd Ed -- it was bit more difficult as it used none equal experience charts but that could still be done by simply denoting at each milestone how much XP was acquired. So I do not understand how you can make that statement.

Aka can you please clarify why you feel that XP system is not conducive to milestone leveling?
Last edited February 7, 2020 6:12 pm
Feb 7, 2020 6:22 pm
Since this is an Interest Check thread, we can have a discussion about the pros and cons of experience points elsewhere. I'm sure there are players who are content with whatever system the GM chooses.
Feb 7, 2020 7:00 pm
I am not trying to derail things or be confrontational or any of that stuff. Further I actually do not care what the GM chooses to use for their game as that is totally their call -- I am just curious about the statement they made is all -- very basic and simple and since it only requires a single answer as its them sharing their opinion its not a extensive discourse on the topic either

Again to me its not a what is better or not -- all I am asking is why they feel it would not be conducive -- and I am not saying they should use it as that is totally irrelevant to the question and something I have no interest in.
Last edited February 7, 2020 7:03 pm
Feb 7, 2020 7:13 pm
It's an interesting discussion but it is derailing in this interest check thread. I think a new thread would be a better place to debate this topic
Feb 7, 2020 7:28 pm
Why is everyone -- debating this -- mine was not a debate question -- or are others debating this because I am not -- I just saw a statement and was curious about it nothing more
Last edited February 7, 2020 7:29 pm
Feb 7, 2020 7:40 pm
The question is, Joker, are you interested in the game? If you are, then you can take part in the discussion. When the game was run at the Con back in about 1982 under first edition rules there was no concern about XP. There was a monetary reward to who I thought was the best player in the round. There were three rounds and all new players in each round. When I ran it 15 years later on a PbP site I had to pay more attention to XP because the players expected to be rewarded in that fashion. There was no such thing as milestone leveling at that time, at least not that I ever knew of. Today the environment is quite different and I struggle to deal with it. But this game and this site are one of the few things that keeps my brain functioning. If I didn't do this, I would probably just drop dead. I would like to think that I can live to see it run its course but in its first PbP iteration it took 5 years. If it does the same here, I will be 77 by the time we're done. My father only lived to be 70. So to avoid giving me a stroke I would appreciate everyone tone it down a little.
Feb 7, 2020 8:51 pm
When ever you decide you wish to get the game going. Do let me know. Matters of EXP come as they may, I'm not really concerned. Where to apply is my main question.
Feb 7, 2020 9:18 pm
Oh okay so your statement was false and the real reason is that you just do not want to do milestone leveling -- okay that is cool and no my plate is full right now -- again I was just curious about the "not conducive" statement was all as I found that kind of odd and thought perhaps I was missing something. Thanks for the reply hope the game goes well for you

You do not have permission to post in this thread.